xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel? - Hardware

This is a discussion on xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel? - Hardware ; Is anyone running xawtv or fbtv under the 2.6.x kernel? I am trying to work out what is broken and it looks like another subtle change in the kernel is causing problems....

  1. xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel?

    Is anyone running xawtv or fbtv under the 2.6.x kernel?

    I am trying to work out what is broken and it looks like another subtle
    change in the kernel is causing problems.

  2. Re: xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel?

    In article ,
    terryc wrote:
    > Is anyone running xawtv or fbtv under the 2.6.x kernel?

    I'm running xawtv 3.95 on Linux 2.6.22.3 to display video from an Intel
    "Create and Share" (at least that's what I think it's called) camera.

    > I am trying to work out what is broken and it looks like another subtle
    > change in the kernel is causing problems.

    Symptoms?

    "xawtv -debug [0-2]" may help.

    --
    There's a term for those who fantasize that the world works in
    precisely the way that produces maximum convenience for them,

  3. Re: xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel?

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:58:43 -0400, Hactar wrote:

    > In article , terryc
    > wrote:
    >> Is anyone running xawtv or fbtv under the 2.6.x kernel?

    > I'm running xawtv 3.95 on Linux 2.6.22.3 to display video from an Intel
    > "Create and Share" (at least that's what I think it's called) camera.
    >
    >> I am trying to work out what is broken and it looks like another subtle
    >> change in the kernel is causing problems.

    > Symptoms?
    >
    > "xawtv -debug [0-2]" may help.

    I'm running xawtv under Ubuntu 8.0.4 Kernel 2.6 24-19.21

    For tv reception in OZ and for replaying DVD and VCR Tapes from external
    machine using a pixelview BT878 card with no trouble

    shogun

    --
    One Prayer: Peace
    One Hope: Harmony

  4. Re: xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel?

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:58:43 -0400, Hactar wrote:

    > In article , terryc
    > wrote:
    >> Is anyone running xawtv or fbtv under the 2.6.x kernel?

    > I'm running xawtv 3.95 on Linux 2.6.22.3 to display video from an Intel
    > "Create and Share" (at least that's what I think it's called) camera.
    >
    >> I am trying to work out what is broken and it looks like another subtle
    >> change in the kernel is causing problems.

    > Symptoms?

    No vision from TV, composite or S-video.
    Sound is fine. Tuner works great.

    One of the other (grab/overlay) is black and the other is mostly speckled
    cyan.

    Same problm with bt848 and bt878 cards. These all worked fine unde xawtv a
    few years ago (5-10).

    Search, search and searched the internet with various search engines and
    found absolutely nothing that mentions a solution.

    > "xawtv -debug [0-2]" may help.

    I sometimes get some error messages with lots of variables=0, but that
    is mainly on card/tuner numbers tht are "wrong" aka the various Phillips
    Pal-b variations.

    The debug output wasn't helpful (aka no guides to interpret what it all
    means).

  5. Re: xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel?

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:33:53 -0500, shogun wrote:

    > I'm running xawtv under Ubuntu 8.0.4 Kernel 2.6 24-19.21

    Close to the mark.
    Did you have to do any fiddling to install it?
    At one stage it requred a modeline addition in XF86Config.

    > For tv reception in OZ and for replaying DVD and VCR Tapes from external
    > machine using a pixelview BT878 card with no trouble

    How long have you had the card?
    What card and tuner numbers do you use?

  6. Re: xawtv or fbtv under 2.6 kernel?

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:28:52 +1000, terryc wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:33:53 -0500, shogun wrote:
    >

    >> I'm running xawtv under Ubuntu 8.0.4 Kernel 2.6 24-19.21

    > Close to the mark.
    > Did you have to do any fiddling to install it? At one stage it requred a
    > modeline addition in XF86Config.
    >>
    >> For tv reception in OZ and for replaying DVD and VCR Tapes from
    >> external machine using a pixelview BT878 card with no trouble

    > How long have you had the card?
    > What card and tuner numbers do you use?

    The card is about 3 years old

    I place the following in /etc/modprobe.d/options

    alias char-major-81 bttv
    options bttv card=72 radio=1 tuner=38
    options tuner addr=0x61

    The way I have it rigged up is
    Sound out on the card to input jack on sound card.

    TV aerial to hd tuner box, then red white and yellow leads to switch
    DVD Player red white and yellow leads to switch
    VCR Player red white and yellow leads to switch
    red white and yellow leads from switch to tuner card this gives me stereo
    sound as well
    To watch just set the switch to the desired feed tell xawtv that it
    should use composite 1 feed.

    When I first obtained the card I had to swap pci slots untill there was
    no clash of IRQ's.

    Hope this helps

    Shogun

    --