1.2 CF HD - Hardware

This is a discussion on 1.2 CF HD - Hardware ; I have a Seagate HD similar to this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg I plan on using this to hold the root and swap partitions (using an IDE->CF adapter). I ran a badblocks test on the drive, formatted, etc. with no issues. I am ...

  1. 1.2 CF HD

    I have a Seagate HD similar to this:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

    I plan on using this to hold the root and swap partitions (using an
    IDE->CF adapter). I ran a badblocks test on the drive, formatted, etc.
    with no issues. I am a bit concerned by the fine print warning, though. My
    drive shows the same warning as shown on the linked image (above),
    "Embedded Applications Only." What usage is this warning intended to
    prevent? In your opinion, is use as swap/root okay, or not?

    Thanks in advance.

    BTW, on similar drives, I have had to set sleep mode off,

    # hdparm -S 0 /dev/hda

    I learned about that the hard way.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  2. Re: 1.2 CF HD

    In article ,
    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > I have a Seagate HD similar to this:
    > http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg
    >
    > I plan on using this to hold the root and swap partitions (using an
    > IDE->CF adapter). I ran a badblocks test on the drive, formatted, etc.
    > with no issues. I am a bit concerned by the fine print warning, though. My
    > drive shows the same warning as shown on the linked image (above),
    > "Embedded Applications Only." What usage is this warning intended to
    > prevent? In your opinion, is use as swap/root okay, or not?

    Is that a CF card? Dunno how limited writes are on CF, but on some
    Flash media they're a no-no. And turn off modtime tracking for
    filesystems on there too.

    If it's not, WTF is it?

    They that can give up essential liberty to
    obtain a little temporary safety deserve
    neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin

+ Reply to Thread