iR remote: mapping key combinations to a single character? - Hardware

This is a discussion on iR remote: mapping key combinations to a single character? - Hardware ; Hi, I'm trying to get an iR remote handset working under Ubuntu. The kernel sees it as a USB keyboard and and I can use some of its keys the with apps I want (which respond OK to things like ...

  1. iR remote: mapping key combinations to a single character?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get an iR remote handset working under Ubuntu.

    The kernel sees it as a USB keyboard and and I can use some of its
    keys the with apps I want (which respond OK to things like "up" "down"
    "enter" and "back"), but some of the events it sends aren't
    recognised, so I need to re-map them to something they do understand.

    The trouble is the handset's not generating single keys for some of
    these buttons. For example, the "stop" button is CTRL+SHIFT+s (or
    maybe that's CTRL+S, if there's a difference). I'd like to re-map that
    to a single key (in this case the "x" key).

    Can I do that with xmodmap? If so, I can't work out how. I've also
    looked at evrouter, but that seems only to map one key to an action as
    well. I' sure this must be possible somehow though...

    Any pointers and I'd be very grateful.

  2. Re: iR remote: mapping key combinations to a single character?

    Hiya,

    GilgongoJones wrote:

    > I'm trying to get an iR remote handset working under Ubuntu.
    >
    > The kernel sees it as a USB keyboard and and I can use some of its
    > keys the with apps I want [...]
    >
    > Can I do that with xmodmap? [...]
    >
    > Any pointers and I'd be very grateful.

    I am currently using an infrared remote with ubuntu for my movie playback
    machine. It works fine with the lirc package, which is definitely the
    easiest way to get it working.

    If you need to code it yourself, you could look at the lirc source.

    Cheers,
    John McCallum

  3. Re: iR remote: mapping key combinations to a single character?

    On Sep 9, 11:52*am, John McCallum
    wrote:

    > I am currently using an infrared remote with ubuntu for my movie playback
    > machine. It works fine with the lirc package, which is definitely the
    > easiest way to get it working.
    >
    > If you need to code it yourself, you could look at the lirc source.

    Hi - thanks for replying.

    I was hoping not to have to use lirc, mainly because the remote is
    supported by the kernel as a keyboard device without it. I tried
    playing with lircd, but it wouldn't start - what version of Ubuntu are
    you using? I'm on Hardy.

  4. Re: iR remote: mapping key combinations to a single character?

    Hiya,

    > I was hoping not to have to use lirc, mainly because the remote is
    > supported by the kernel as a keyboard device without it. I tried
    > playing with lircd, but it wouldn't start - what version of Ubuntu are
    > you using? I'm on Hardy.

    Well that's two days in a row that I've intended to check this when I got
    home... and forgotten (I'm using the office Newsgroup servers).

    Anyway, it's running the latest 64bit Ubuntu on that machine (and it's kept
    up to date), and the remote is a Microsoft thing which 'just worked'. I
    never looked further as I had no need, I'm afraid. My other boxes are
    Gentoo based which explains my vagueness when it comes to Ubuntu naming
    conventions.

    HTH,
    John McCallum

+ Reply to Thread