Re: any sound card that will definitely work? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: any sound card that will definitely work? - Hardware ; On 2008-09-06, graham1949 wrote: > On Sep 5, 11:28*pm, n.torrey.pi...@gmail.com wrote: >> My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I >> expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is >> 2 years old. >> >> ...

  1. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    On 2008-09-06, graham1949 wrote:
    > On Sep 5, 11:28*pm, n.torrey.pi...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I
    >> expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is
    >> 2 years old.
    >>
    >> However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get
    >> its audio working. The playback works, but the mic with the on-board
    >> Intel audio is extremely noisy as to be unusable (I tried many
    >> microphones with it, and in general wasted hours trying to get the
    >> sound to work)

    > Hi
    > I had an issue with my dell as linux did not have a driver for my
    > Sound blaster Audiligy card, bought a SBlive card on ebay for 1 and
    > all fine. Including mic
    > Cant remember the url, but there is a list of linux compatible
    > hardware on the net, try googlig it
    > Graham

    In case the OP hasn't already dealt with it, there is
    another thing to watch out for on some sound cards. Some
    default to using the input jacks as outputs. To use them as
    inputs, you need to disable their use as outputs. For cards
    with such a (mis)feature, the mixer applications should have
    a channel titled something like "line in as surround output"
    or such. That/those channel(s) need to be muted to use the
    inputs as inputs.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  2. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    In article ,
    Robert Riches wrote:
    > On 2008-09-06, graham1949 wrote:
    > > On Sep 5, 11:28*pm, n.torrey.pi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I
    > >> expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is
    > >> 2 years old.
    > >>
    > >> However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get
    > >> its audio working. The playback works, but the mic with the on-board
    > >> Intel audio is extremely noisy as to be unusable (I tried many
    > >> microphones with it, and in general wasted hours trying to get the
    > >> sound to work)

    > > I had an issue with my dell as linux did not have a driver for my
    > > Sound blaster Audiligy card, bought a SBlive card on ebay for 1 and
    > > all fine. Including mic
    > > Cant remember the url, but there is a list of linux compatible
    > > hardware on the net, try googlig it
    > > Graham

    > In case the OP hasn't already dealt with it, there is
    > another thing to watch out for on some sound cards. Some
    > default to using the input jacks as outputs. To use them as
    > inputs, you need to disable their use as outputs. For cards
    > with such a (mis)feature, the mixer applications should have
    > a channel titled something like "line in as surround output"
    > or such. That/those channel(s) need to be muted to use the
    > inputs as inputs.

    That's one reason I used a separate sound card in preference to the
    onboard sound on my motherboard. I prefer that my input and output
    jacks not change from one to the other (hermaphroditic hardware).
    That and I now have too many devices to be accomodated by the onboard
    hardware, which only has three jacks.

    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of
    being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde

+ Reply to Thread