A question before buying - Asus P5Q Deluxe - Hardware

This is a discussion on A question before buying - Asus P5Q Deluxe - Hardware ; hi! i'm plannig to buy a new motherboard, and i wanna to use only linux on it. i've found really nice mobo, but i dont know that its working fully under linux (version 2.6.20 and younger) this is a link ...

  1. A question before buying - Asus P5Q Deluxe

    hi!
    i'm plannig to buy a new motherboard, and i wanna to use only linux on
    it.
    i've found really nice mobo, but i dont know that its working fully
    under linux (version 2.6.20 and younger)

    this is a link to this mainboard
    http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...57&modelmenu=2

    does those lan cards are supported by linux?
    Dual Gigabit LAN controllers Marvell 88E8056/88E8001®

    does this soundcard works fine under linux (i'm not an audiophile)
    ADI® AD2000B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

    this motherboard contains an 'Express Gate' - a mini version of linux
    (i cannot specify more - i dont know what distro and kernel version is
    it) so it *should* work fine under linux - but i'm interested that
    those compoments works on standard kernel, on open drivers (i would
    prefere to not to use closed drivers due practical reason)

    your sincerely
    simon

  2. Re: A question before buying - Asus P5Q Deluxe

    I demand that Szymon von Ulezalka may or may not have written...

    > i'm planning to buy a new motherboard, and i wanna to use only linux on it.
    > i've found really nice mobo, but i dont know that its working fully under
    > linux (version 2.6.20 and younger)

    > this is a link to this mainboard
    > http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...57&modelmenu=2

    > does those lan cards are supported by linux?
    > Dual Gigabit LAN controllers Marvell 88E8056/88E8001®

    It looks like they're supported. The 2.6.25 source mentions 88E8001, at
    least.

    > does this soundcard works fine under linux (i'm not an audiophile) ADI®
    > AD2000B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC

    Probably; the name suggests that the intel-hda driver will support it.

    [snip]
    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    1987: Acorn releases the world's first 32-bit RISC-computer :-p Apple!

+ Reply to Thread