any sound card that will definitely work? - Hardware

This is a discussion on any sound card that will definitely work? - Hardware ; My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is 2 years old. However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get its audio working. The ...

  1. any sound card that will definitely work?

    My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I
    expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is
    2 years old.

    However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get
    its audio working. The playback works, but the mic with the on-board
    Intel audio is extremely noisy as to be unusable (I tried many
    microphones with it, and in general wasted hours trying to get the
    sound to work)

    Anyways, I hope someone can recommend a sound card that will
    definitely work 100% with Ubuntu 8.04.1, mic input included, of
    course. The sound card has to be inexpensive and currently widely sold
    in places like Fry's, or at least newegg or amazon.

    Here's my `lspci`, if it's relevant (Btw, I'm also worried about
    various IRQ incompatibilities with other hardware)

    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X Memory Controller Hub
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X PCI Express Root Port
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
    Port 1 (rev 01)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    Express Port 5 (rev 01)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    Express Port 6 (rev 01)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2
    EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC
    Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE
    Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family)
    SATA AHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
    (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41 [Quadro FX
    3450/4000 SDI] (rev a2)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
    Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
    05:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)

  2. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, n.torrey.pines@gmail.com wrote:

    > My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I
    > expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is
    > 2 years old.
    >
    > However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get
    > its audio working. The playback works, but the mic with the on-board
    > Intel audio is extremely noisy as to be unusable (I tried many
    > microphones with it, and in general wasted hours trying to get the
    > sound to work)

    Did you do the obvious of running a mixer program to adjust the gain
    on the microphone input? While you're there, you also want to set
    the microphone input as the "record" device, since any recording
    application won't know by itself what you want to record from.

    Michael

    > Anyways, I hope someone can recommend a sound card that will
    > definitely work 100% with Ubuntu 8.04.1, mic input included, of
    > course. The sound card has to be inexpensive and currently widely sold
    > in places like Fry's, or at least newegg or amazon.
    >
    > Here's my `lspci`, if it's relevant (Btw, I'm also worried about
    > various IRQ incompatibilities with other hardware)
    >

    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X Memory Controller Hub
    > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X PCI Express Root Port
    > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    > Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
    > Port 1 (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    > Express Port 5 (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    > Express Port 6 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2
    > EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    > 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC
    > Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE
    > Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family)
    > SATA AHCI Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
    > (rev 01)
    > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41 [Quadro FX
    > 3450/4000 SDI] (rev a2)
    > 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
    > Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
    > 05:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)

  3. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    On Sep 5, 11:28*pm, n.torrey.pi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I
    > expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is
    > 2 years old.
    >
    > However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get
    > its audio working. The playback works, but the mic with the on-board
    > Intel audio is extremely noisy as to be unusable (I tried many
    > microphones with it, and in general wasted hours trying to get the
    > sound to work)
    >
    > Anyways, I hope someone can recommend a sound card that will
    > definitely work 100% with Ubuntu 8.04.1, mic input included, of
    > course. The sound card has to be inexpensive and currently widely sold
    > in places like Fry's, or at least newegg or amazon.
    >
    > Here's my `lspci`, if it's relevant (Btw, I'm also worried about
    > various IRQ incompatibilities with other hardware)
    >
    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X Memory Controller Hub
    > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X PCI Express Root Port
    > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    > Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
    > Port 1 (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    > Express Port 5 (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    > Express Port 6 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2
    > EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    > 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC
    > Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE
    > Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family)
    > SATA AHCI Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
    > (rev 01)
    > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41 [Quadro FX
    > 3450/4000 SDI] (rev a2)
    > 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
    > Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
    > 05:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)

    Hi
    I had an issue with my dell as linux did not have a driver for my
    Sound blaster Audiligy card, bought a SBlive card on ebay for 1 and
    all fine. Including mic
    Cant remember the url, but there is a list of linux compatible
    hardware on the net, try googlig it
    Graham

  4. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    On Sep 6, 2:51*am, graham1949 wrote:

    > I had an issue with my dell as linux did not have a driver for my
    > Sound blaster Audiligy card, bought a SBlive card on ebay for 1 * and
    > all fine. Including mic
    > Cant remember the url, but there is a list of linux compatible
    > hardware on the net, try googlig it
    > Graham

    I've heard that SB Live actually isn't fully supported by Linux, and
    Audigy is better (but still may be a hit and miss)

    So, not a single sound card that's guaranteed to work with Linux/
    Ubuntu?

  5. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    On 2008-09-06, n.torrey.pines@gmail.com hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sep 6, 2:51*am, graham1949 wrote:
    >
    >> I had an issue with my dell as linux did not have a driver for my
    >> Sound blaster Audiligy card, bought a SBlive card on ebay for £1 * and
    >> all fine. Including mic
    >> Cant remember the url, but there is a list of linux compatible
    >> hardware on the net, try googlig it
    >> Graham

    > I've heard that SB Live actually isn't fully supported by Linux, and
    > Audigy is better (but still may be a hit and miss)

    I've used a Soundblaster Live for years in various Gnu/Linux
    including Debian. It is true hough around 2000/2001 one had
    to tweak it by downloading some package and compile the
    driver. tweak Alsa too.

    But then the following Kernels (2.4.X onward) had the moduls
    included.

    You could try the *KNOPPIX-LIVE* CD and hear if its finds the
    card...

    > So, not a single sound card that's guaranteed to work with Linux/
    > Ubuntu?

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  6. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    On Sep 6, 1:09*pm, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > You could try the *KNOPPIX-LIVE* CD and hear if its finds the
    > card...

    I'm not looking for a distro that works with my hardware. I'm looking
    for hardware that will definitely work with my distro.

  7. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    In comp.os.linux.hardware n.torrey.pines@gmail.com wrote:

    > So, not a single sound card that's guaranteed to work with Linux/
    > Ubuntu?

    The ESS Solo works with Ubuntu.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  8. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    > I've heard that SB Live actually isn't fully supported by Linux, and
    > Audigy is better (but still may be a hit and miss)
    >
    > So, not a single sound card that's guaranteed to work with Linux/
    > Ubuntu?

    It depends on how you define work.

    All of my soundcards work. Fully work, debatable. Those that aren't
    fully duplex can only record OR play, but not AND. Well it can do both at
    the same time, but it's NOT a full duplex soundcard, so there's about a 40%
    bleed over of what's being played in the recorded track. But it has those
    same results in windows or linux. Does that mean it's not supported in
    either?

    So what are you trying to do? And how are you trying to do it? I have an
    M-Audio Delta 44 that is full duplex and supported. Although I've heard
    that it has a 10 channel internal mixer. And with only 4 physical outputs
    and 4 physical inputs, I don't see anything in alsamixer or amixer that
    says anything other than what is represented by externally visible
    hardware. Does that mean it's not supported? NO. As I do get four inputs
    and four outputs. Although I've heard that the SB Live's have a 32 channel
    internal mixer. Not that you'd ever use it unless playing video games,
    listening to cds, watching tv, and watching a dvd at the same time on the
    same machine was your thing. Or you were trying to do some recording
    studio work. Not that you'd use that soundcard for that.

  9. Re: any sound card that will definitely work?

    n.torrey.pi...@gmail.com wrote:

    > My Dell Precision workstation came with RHEL 4.0 pre-installed, so I
    > expected 100% Linux compatibility, especially now that the machine is
    > 2 years old.
    >
    > However, after switching to Ubuntu 8.04.1, I developed a need to get
    > its audio working. The playback works, but the mic with the on-board
    > Intel audio is extremely noisy as to be unusable (I tried many
    > microphones with it, and in general wasted hours trying to get the
    > sound to work)
    >
    > Anyways, I hope someone can recommend a sound card that will
    > definitely work 100% with Ubuntu 8.04.1, mic input included, of
    > course. The sound card has to be inexpensive and currently widely sold
    > in places like Fry's, or at least newegg or amazon.
    >
    > Here's my `lspci`, if it's relevant (Btw, I'm also worried about
    > various IRQ incompatibilities with other hardware)
    >

    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X Memory Controller Hub
    > 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82955X PCI Express Root Port
    > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    > Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express
    > Port 1 (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    > Express Port 5 (rev 01)
    > 00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI
    > Express Port 6 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB
    > UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    > 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2
    > EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    > 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC
    > Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE
    > Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family)
    > SATA AHCI Controller (rev 01)
    > 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
    > (rev 01)
    > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41 [Quadro FX
    > 3450/4000 SDI] (rev a2)
    > 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
    > Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
    > 05:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)

    Do you have all the updates installed? Seems that there were quite a
    lot of issues with sound devices with 8.04. You may want to check the
    Ubuntu forums

+ Reply to Thread