Connecting two computers through WIFI - Hardware

This is a discussion on Connecting two computers through WIFI - Hardware ; Hello. Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI? Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do iwlist $INTERFACE scanning on both computers, I see the nearby access point). One has an atheros ...

  1. Connecting two computers through WIFI

    Hello.

    Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI?

    Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do

    iwlist $INTERFACE scanning

    on both computers, I see the nearby access point).

    One has an atheros chpiset card, I configure it with

    modprobe ath_pci
    wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
    iwconfig ath0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.3

    and the other (which has an intel chipset card) with

    iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.4

    When I try to ping one from the other, nothing happens (I get "Network
    Unreachable" errors).

    Any hint? Thanks!

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

  2. Re: Connecting two computers through WIFI

    In article <48c170ca$0$4637$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Could anybody help me connect my two laptops through WIFI?
    >
    > Each has a functional WIFI card (drivers loaded and OK, if I do
    >
    > iwlist $INTERFACE scanning
    >
    > on both computers, I see the nearby access point).
    >
    > One has an atheros chpiset card, I configure it with
    >
    > modprobe ath_pci
    > wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    > wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
    > iwconfig ath0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    > ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.3
    >
    > and the other (which has an intel chipset card) with
    >
    > iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M channel 10 essid "airforce-one" key "s:***" mode Ad-Hoc
    > ifconfig ath0 up 192.168.1.4
    >
    > When I try to ping one from the other, nothing happens (I get "Network
    > Unreachable" errors).
    >
    > Any hint? Thanks!

    If you want to connect them only to each other, I can't help you. But,
    if you want to associate each to the router, here's how I did mine:

    In the file /etc/network/interfaces I have:

    iface eth2 inet dhcp

    wireless-essid RouterSSID
    wireless-key RouterKey

    (eth2 is my wireless interface)

    You can add a line "auto eth2" if you want it to start on boot. If you
    don't have DHCP, scrap the "dhcp" and add

    address put.your.address.here
    netmask put.your.netmask.here
    gateway put.your.gateway.here

    Not sure where. I have a commented-out version directly following the
    "auto eth1" line.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

  3. Re: Connecting two computers through WIFI

    Hactar wrote:
    > If you want to connect them only to each other, I can't help you. But,
    > if you want to associate each to the router, here's how I did mine:

    Yes, I want them to talk to each other directly, that's why I put them in
    Ad-Hoc mode. One of them (the one that's hooked to the internet through an
    ethernet cable) will later as a router for the other.

    --
    Fabrice DELENTE

+ Reply to Thread