Digital camera not connecting properly - Hardware

This is a discussion on Digital camera not connecting properly - Hardware ; Hallo, I use a digital camera Fuji S602zoom, a card reader without name and my wife used a digital camera Fuji A204. When mounted, they come up with messages like: kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd ...

  1. Digital camera not connecting properly

    Hallo,

    I use a digital camera Fuji S602zoom, a card reader without name
    and my wife used a digital camera Fuji A204.
    When mounted, they come up with messages like:
    kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16
    kernel: usb 1-2.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    kernel: scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access FUJIFILM USB-DRIVEUNIT 1.00 PQ:
    0 ANSI: 0 CCS
    kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 2001888 512-byte hardware sectors (1025 MB)
    kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 2001888 512-byte hardware sectors (1025 MB)
    kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    kernel: sdc: sdc1
    kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
    kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

    Then I can just mount the appopriate "SCSI disk" and use the
    data from it.

    Now my wife bought a Fuji A920 and when I connect that I see
    no more than:
    kernel: usb 1-2.3.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and addr. 15
    kernel: usb 1-2.3.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

    In opther words: no disc that I can mount.
    Is there something I miss? Is it a nasty new trick from Fuji?
    Does somebody have a solutine?

    Thanks in advance for any useful information.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  2. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    Johannes Beekhuizen staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I use a digital camera Fuji S602zoom, a card reader without name
    > : scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access FUJIFILM USB-DRIVEUNIT
    > : sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 2001888 512-byte hardware sectors (1025 MB)
    > : sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    > Then I can just mount the appopriate "SCSI disk" and use the data from
    > it.
    >
    > Now my wife bought a Fuji A920 and when I connect:
    > : usb 1-2.3.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and addr. 15
    > : usb 1-2.3.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    >
    > In other words: no disc that I can mount. Is there something I
    > [missed]? Is it a nasty new trick from Fuji?

    Some cameras look like Mass Storage Devices when connected. Some don't.
    The ones that don't often use some variant of PTP (Picture Transport
    Protocol), since the Mass Storage protocol doesn't have support for
    doing things like "change shutter speed" or "take picture". Programs
    like digikam and the gphoto2 libraries support PTP.

    However, there are many variants of PTP for some reason. ("The
    manufacturers and/or firmware programmers are smoking crack" probably
    covers *why* this is the case.) A very new camera may not have had its
    PTP variant decoded by the gphoto2 people yet. I got a fairly good
    multiple-format memory card reader from Fried Hardware for $20 a few
    months back, and it's worked without hassle. Prices may vary across the
    pond. HTH,

    --
    Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the
    truth. --Benjamin Disraeli

  3. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    On 31 Aug 2008 14:27:33 GMT Dances With Crows wrote:
    | Johannes Beekhuizen staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    |> I use a digital camera Fuji S602zoom, a card reader without name
    |> : scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access FUJIFILM USB-DRIVEUNIT
    |> : sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 2001888 512-byte hardware sectors (1025 MB)
    |> : sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
    |> Then I can just mount the appopriate "SCSI disk" and use the data from
    |> it.
    |>
    |> Now my wife bought a Fuji A920 and when I connect:
    |> : usb 1-2.3.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and addr. 15
    |> : usb 1-2.3.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    |>
    |> In other words: no disc that I can mount. Is there something I
    |> [missed]? Is it a nasty new trick from Fuji?
    |
    | Some cameras look like Mass Storage Devices when connected. Some don't.
    | The ones that don't often use some variant of PTP (Picture Transport
    | Protocol), since the Mass Storage protocol doesn't have support for
    | doing things like "change shutter speed" or "take picture". Programs
    | like digikam and the gphoto2 libraries support PTP.
    |
    | However, there are many variants of PTP for some reason. ("The
    | manufacturers and/or firmware programmers are smoking crack" probably
    | covers *why* this is the case.) A very new camera may not have had its
    | PTP variant decoded by the gphoto2 people yet. I got a fairly good
    | multiple-format memory card reader from Fried Hardware for $20 a few
    | months back, and it's worked without hassle. Prices may vary across the
    | pond. HTH,

    Actually, it may be more a case of not being able to read English very well.

    In a previous job, there was collaboration on a development project with
    a partner that had some employees involved spread through 3 Asian countries.
    There was a wide range of English language skills. Some were so good I
    couldn't even detect an accent, and without their names, I might have even
    guessed they were expat Americans (and maybe they were, anyway). Others,
    however, had to have translation on the conference calls (all done in
    English), and often had poor skills reading/writing English email. My
    Taiwanese was ... non-existant. I would not have been able to work with
    any standards documents in Taiwanese, if there had been any. Many of
    their team would have had great difficulty with standards documents in
    English.

    OTOH, I would not rule out management interference (making deals with the
    Redmond Riff-Raff to sabotage compatibility), incompetency (especially in
    subcontractors), understaffing, cultural differences, and that possible
    drug use.

    You should get a camera with a removeable memory card, such as SDHC, and a
    memory card interface for your computer. These interfaces are available in
    3.5 floppy bay and USB hub box form factors, generally all supporting USB.
    Be sure you get one that supports SDHC if there might be any use for SD cards.
    SDHC allows SD cards, or equivalents, to go past the 2GB barrier (because the
    original SD interface developers were smoking crack).

  4. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    Hallo,

    Op zondag 31 augustus 2008 schreef Dances With Crows aan All:

    >> Now my wife bought a Fuji A920 and when I connect:
    >> : usb 1-2.3.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
    >> addr. 15
    >> : usb 1-2.3.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    >> In other words: no disc that I can mount. Is there something
    >> I [missed]? Is it a nasty new trick from Fuji?

    DWC> Some cameras look like Mass Storage Devices when connected.
    DWC> Some don't.

    Aha.

    DWC> The ones that don't often use some variant of PTP
    DWC> (Picture Transport Protocol), since the Mass Storage protocol
    DWC> doesn't have support for doing things like "change shutter
    DWC> speed" or "take picture". Programs like digikam and the gphoto2
    DWC> libraries support PTP.

    I installed gphoto2 this morning and during autodetect it
    recognises a PTP camera on usb:. My camera is seen
    as PTP on usb:001,021. But I know that my camera is [also?]
    a Mass Storage Device.

    DWC> However, there are many variants of PTP for some reason. ("The
    DWC> manufacturers and/or firmware programmers are smoking crack"
    DWC> probably covers *why* this is the case.)

    DWC> A very new camera may not have had its PTP variant decoded by
    DWC> the gphoto2 people yet.

    I noticed that neither camera is listed by gphoto2. Butr his
    week I'm not going to do much mre thinking about it: this
    morning some people came to renovate the kitchen. At the moment
    they're breaking away all the old tiles. That does not make for
    a quiet thinking environment...

    DWC> I got a fairly good multiple-format memory card reader from
    DWC> Fried Hardware for $20 a few months back, and it's worked
    DWC> without hassle. Prices may vary across the pond.

    I don't remember what I paid for my card reader. It was little
    enough to risk buying it. I needed something to get all the
    pictures from my wifes old camera after she dropped it. It
    works...

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  5. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    Hallo,

    Op zondag 31 augustus 2008 schreef phil-news-nospam@ipal.net aan All:

    pnn> OTOH, I would not rule out management interference (making deals
    pnn> with the Redmond Riff-Raff to sabotage compatibility),

    I though only Bill Gates did that kind of thing

    pnn> You should get a camera with a removeable memory card,

    Of course.that's an option and I use that already. But I
    don't really like taking that card out and putting it into
    the reader every time. The main reason is that the card is
    a little bit small for my clumsy fingers and it's not easy
    to see the slots with my bad eyes. That's why I am enquiring
    about the possibility to connect it directly.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  6. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 11:35:56 +0200, Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > DWC> Some cameras look like Mass Storage Devices when connected.
    > DWC> Some don't.
    >
    > Aha.
    >
    > DWC> The ones that don't often use some variant of PTP
    > DWC> (Picture Transport Protocol), since the Mass Storage protocol
    > DWC> doesn't have support for doing things like "change shutter
    > DWC> speed" or "take picture". Programs like digikam and the gphoto2
    > DWC> libraries support PTP.
    >
    > I installed gphoto2 this morning and during autodetect it
    > recognises a PTP camera on usb:. My camera is seen
    > as PTP on usb:001,021. But I know that my camera is [also?]
    > a Mass Storage Device.

    Read the manual to see whether it can be configured as either.

  7. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    On Sep 1, 7:54*pm, "Johannes Beekhuizen" wrote:

    > Hallo,
    >
    > Op zondag 31 augustus 2008 schreef phil-news-nos...@ipal.net aan All:
    >
    > *pnn> OTOH, I would not rule out management interference (making deals
    > *pnn> with the Redmond Riff-Raff to sabotage compatibility),
    >
    > I though only Bill Gates did that kind of thing
    >
    > *pnn> You should get a camera with a removeable memory card,
    >
    > Of course.that's an option and I use that already. But I
    > don't really like taking that card out and putting it into
    > the reader every time. The main reason is that the card is
    > a little bit small for my clumsy fingers and it's not easy
    > to see the slots with my bad eyes. That's why I am enquiring
    > about the possibility to connect it directly.
    >
    > Groeten,
    >
    > * * * * * *Hans.
    >
    > jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

    Could be a MTP device (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    Media_Transfer_Protocol). Last I checked linux had a development
    driver for this!!!

  8. Re: Digital camera not connecting properly

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:
    > I use a digital camera Fuji S602zoom, a card reader without name
    > and my wife used a digital camera Fuji A204.

    I bought a Syba SD-Combo unit for US$17 which installs like a floppy
    drive in my computer. I can plug in a camera card or a USB stick and
    they just show up on my desktop. Would that help you?

    G'luck...