TV card compatible with linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on TV card compatible with linux - Hardware ; Hi, I am looking for a Linux compatible, analogue or hybrid TV card. I'm going to watch TV as well as record some programs. I'd be grateful for hints both on hardware, and software part (I use OpenSuse 10.2 with ...

  1. TV card compatible with linux

    Hi,

    I am looking for a Linux compatible, analogue or hybrid TV card. I'm
    going to watch TV as well as record some programs.

    I'd be grateful for hints both on hardware, and software part (I use
    OpenSuse 10.2 with KDE 3.5, if it matters).

    Thank you very much in advance.

    --
    Best regards,

    (js).

    PS. When responding directly, please remove a dash with all the
    following letters.

  2. Re: TV card compatible with linux

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:30:48 +0200, Jan Stozek wrote:

    > I am looking for a Linux compatible, analogue or hybrid TV card. I'm
    > going to watch TV as well as record some programs.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for hints both on hardware, and software part (I use
    > OpenSuse 10.2 with KDE 3.5, if it matters).

    HD:

    http://pchdtv.com/

    Analog: Most based on the BT878 chipset including the Coextant series
    of knockiffs.

    Note: The software is a PITA for HD.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: TV card compatible with linux

    In article ,
    rsgibson@verizon.net (Ron Gibson) writes:

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:30:48 +0200, Jan Stozek wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a Linux compatible, analogue or hybrid TV card.
    >> I'm going to watch TV as well as record some programs.
    >>
    >> I'd be grateful for hints both on hardware, and software part (I
    >> use OpenSuse 10.2 with KDE 3.5, if it matters).

    > HD:
    >
    > http://pchdtv.com/

    I ordered a Dragon (KnoppMyth) box with a pair of pcHDTV HD-3000 cards.
    They work great for HD, but they don't know what analog is.

    > Analog: Most based on the BT878 chipset including the Coextant series
    > of knockiffs.

    So for analog I bought a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500. Don't be afraid
    of the "WinTV" part - KnoppMyth had no trouble finding and using it.
    In fact, one of our cable channels, which has interference from another
    channel that's so bad as to be almost unwatchable through our TV's
    tuner, comes out nearly perfect through the PVR-500.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  4. Re: TV card compatible with linux

    Jan Stozek writes:
    > I am looking for a Linux compatible, analogue or hybrid TV card. I'm
    >going to watch TV as well as record some programs.

    > I'd be grateful for hints both on hardware, and software part (I use
    >OpenSuse 10.2 with KDE 3.5, if it matters).

    Kworld 115 - got it working with mplayer & xine for HD, tvtime for
    analog.

    My ancient Shuttle SN42G2 Athlon XP 3000 wasn't enough machine to play
    HD above 720 - the integrated gpu barfed. Analog worked fine. That
    was with cheap rabbit ears.

    I'm gonna try it as a myth backend Real Soon Now(tm) - should be able
    to shunt the video to disk & stream it to a better frontend box. Hope
    so, anyway...:-)

    --
    <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
    <> bgeer@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

+ Reply to Thread