Recommended laptops for dual boot. - Hardware

This is a discussion on Recommended laptops for dual boot. - Hardware ; I am shopping for a laptop with wifi capablity that will either be converted to Linux or else set up for dual boot. I hear that Windoze is easier to use in a wifi setup. Someone recommended the program wicd ...

  1. Recommended laptops for dual boot.

    I am shopping for a laptop with wifi capablity that will either be
    converted to Linux or else set up for dual boot.
    I hear that Windoze is easier to use in a wifi setup. Someone
    recommended the program wicd for a wireless linux laptop but it
    brought down my desktop when I installed it for testing purposes.

    Any models that I should favor or avoid? It will be used by spouse
    mostly for email. A decent sized screen and
    familiar keyboard size/layout would be plusses.

    All comments appreciated. I already have the Linksys router
    installed :<)

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Recommended laptops for dual boot.

    On Aug 30, 11:39 am, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    > wexfordpress wrote:
    > > I am shopping for a laptop with wifi capablity that will either be
    > > converted to Linux or else set up for dual boot. I hear that Windoze
    > > is easier to use in a wifi setup. Someone recommended the program
    > > wicd for a wireless linux laptop but it brought down my desktop when
    > > I installed it for testing purposes.

    > > Any models that I should favor or avoid? It will be used by spouse
    > > mostly for email. A decent sized screen and familiar keyboard
    > > size/layout would be plusses.

    > > All comments appreciated. I already have the Linksys router installed
    > > :<)

    > > John Culleton

    > Generally most laptops are as compatible as most desktops, although
    > there are some cute exceptions to that of course.
    >
    > IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads are amongst the better supported IMO.
    >
    > If you really are just going to use this machine for a spot of surfing
    > and e-mail checking and are happy to eschew the larger screen and
    > keyboard then the Asus eeepc may be a good choice, especially given its
    > low price.
    >
    > If you wanted something a bit bigger at a good price there are literally
    > hundreds of second-hand laptops on eBay.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Sheridan Hutchinson
    > Sheri...@Shezza.org
    >
    > signature.asc
    > < 1KViewDownload

    Looking into Lenovo/IBM. There are two similar models at about the
    same price and with only slightly varying specs,
    the Thinkpad R61 and the N series 3000 Model 200. Anyone have any
    reaction to either one?

    John Culleton

  3. Re: Recommended laptops for dual boot.

    wexfordpress wrote:

    > Looking into Lenovo/IBM. There are two similar models at about the
    > same price and with only slightly varying specs,
    > the Thinkpad R61 and the N series 3000 Model 200. Anyone have any
    > reaction to either one?
    >
    > John Culleton

    Hi, John:

    I have a 3000 N200. It works fine with Ubuntu 7.10 which I have on a
    separate HDD. It comes with XP installed, which means you don't have to
    cope with Vista.

    The N200 has an Intel network card, so avoiding the Broadcom one that is
    a problem (but not an insoluble one) with Linux.

    HTH

    Hugh

    --

    Hugh Newbury

    www.evershot-weather.org

  4. Re: Recommended laptops for dual boot.

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:09:39 -0700, wexfordpress wrote:

    > I am shopping for a laptop with wifi capablity that will either be
    > converted to Linux or else set up for dual boot. I hear that Windoze is
    > easier to use in a wifi setup. Someone recommended the program wicd for
    > a wireless linux laptop but it brought down my desktop when I installed
    > it for testing purposes.
    >
    > Any models that I should favor or avoid? It will be used by spouse
    > mostly for email. A decent sized screen and familiar keyboard
    > size/layout would be plusses.
    >
    > All comments appreciated. I already have the Linksys router installed
    > :<)
    >
    > John Culleton

    Make sure that that the WiFI is Intel, WiFI is the only thing that's
    problematic. Intel is 100% compatible, Broadcom has terrible Linux
    support. BTW the Dell Studio Ubuntu laptops are using Broadcom which means
    the WiFI performance on them will be awful. The Dell XPS Ubuntu laptops
    use Intel so if you get a Dell get the XPS. Lenovo seems to have dropped
    Linux laptops although their laptops are still compatible. Since you are
    looking for a dual boot then the fact that they don't sell the SuSE
    laptops anymore won't be a deal killer for you. Lenovo has new Centrino2
    notebooks which look very nice.

+ Reply to Thread