USB webcam - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB webcam - Hardware ; Is there an easy way to get a USB webcam working on Linux? (any flavor) Thanks....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. USB webcam

    Is there an easy way to get a USB webcam working on Linux? (any
    flavor)

    Thanks.

  2. Re: USB webcam

    "mike7411@gmail.com" writes:

    > Is there an easy way to get a USB webcam working on Linux? (any
    > flavor)

    "plug it in" is a good answer for many webcams. Do you have something
    more specific you're interested in knowing?

  3. Re: USB webcam

    > "plug it in" is a good answer for many webcams.

    that is true...but if not, plug it in and run
    lsub
    from command line, and you will learn device ID and name of chip
    maker...then go to

    http://mxhaard.free.fr/index.html

    and find the driver--and install same..

    exactly how to install, i don't know...since i'm hooked up with SUSE,
    i used the one button install found here:

    http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Web_Cameras

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE

  4. Re: USB webcam

    On Aug 29, 7:23*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > "mike7...@gmail.com" writes:
    > > Is there an easy way to get a USB webcam working on Linux? (any
    > > flavor)

    > "plug it in" is a good answer for many webcams. *Do you have something
    > more specific you're interested in knowing?

    Will plugging it in generally create the device /dev/video0?

    Thanks.

  5. Re: USB webcam

    "mike7411@gmail.com" writes:

    > On Aug 29, 7:23*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >> "mike7...@gmail.com" writes:
    >> > Is there an easy way to get a USB webcam working on Linux? (any
    >> > flavor)

    >> "plug it in" is a good answer for many webcams. *Do you have something
    >> more specific you're interested in knowing?

    > Will plugging it in generally create the device /dev/video0?

    If you're running a distribution with udev, it should.

  6. Re: USB webcam

    mike7411@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > On Aug 29, 7:23*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    >> "mike7...@gmail.com" writes:
    >>> Is there an easy way to get a USB webcam working on Linux? (any
    >>> flavor)

    >> "plug it in" is a good answer for many webcams. Do you have something
    >> more specific you're interested in knowing?

    > Will plugging it in generally create the device /dev/video0?

    Most distros that aren't Slack or LFS have switched to starting udev at
    boot. If udev is running, and the camera you've plugged in is
    supported, then you chould be able to plug the camera in, wait 5 seconds
    for the USB subsystem and udev to do their thing, and then see a
    /dev/video0 (or /dev/video/0 ) device show up. If one doesn't, then
    take a look at the output from "dmesg | tail -n 20" to see what the heck
    is going on.

    --
    All this talk involving IKEA's naming scheme is making me want
    to call them up and propose a Darckense chair. --Niklas K

  7. Re: USB webcam

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:17:04 +0000, Dances With Crows wrote:

    >> Will plugging it in generally create the device /dev/video0?

    > Most distros that aren't Slack or LFS have switched to starting udev at
    > boot. If udev is running, and the camera you've plugged in is supported,

    Ummmmm..... Slackware starts udev at boot.

  8. Re: USB webcam

    On Aug 30, 5:33*pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > "mike7...@gmail.com" writes:

    > >> "plug it in" is a good answer for many webcams. *Do you have something
    > >> more specific you're interested in knowing?

    > > Will plugging it in generally create the device /dev/video0?

    > If you're running a distribution with udev, it should.

    Anyone know about OpenSUSE 10.3 with regards to starting udev?

    I was running OpenSUSE 10.3 and plugged in a USB Logitech webcam. It
    never created /dev/video0.

    Any ideas?

  9. Re: USB webcam

    see http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Web_Cameras

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  10. Re: USB webcam

    On 2008-08-31 04:27, mike7411@gmail.com wrote:

    > Anyone know about OpenSUSE 10.3 with regards to starting udev?
    >
    > I was running OpenSUSE 10.3 and plugged in a USB Logitech webcam. It
    > never created /dev/video0.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Some Logitech cams works, other not.

    Logitech messenger should directly, just plug
    and play, but don't expect to get any good answer from the
    "computer expert" in your computer shop.

    I found a shop that was selling out all their messenger cameras, so I
    grabbed 4 of them, and they was working in suse 10.3 and 11 without any
    configurations.

    /bb

  11. Re: USB webcam

    bb wrote:
    > On 2008-08-31 04:27, mike7411@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> Anyone know about OpenSUSE 10.3 with regards to starting udev?
    >>
    >> I was running OpenSUSE 10.3 and plugged in a USB Logitech webcam. It
    >> never created /dev/video0.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Some Logitech cams works, other not.
    >
    > Logitech messenger should directly, just plug
    > and play, but don't expect to get any good answer from the
    > "computer expert" in your computer shop.
    >
    > I found a shop that was selling out all their messenger cameras, so I
    > grabbed 4 of them, and they was working in suse 10.3 and 11 without any
    > configurations.
    >
    > /bb

    Just found a 3Com Home Connect (Model 0776) webcam in a dumpster of
    computer junk, and after I cleaned the lens of the fungus and mold, it
    works great!

    Many webcams appear on the Linux Hardware listings in any search of
    http://google.com/linux which is quite extensive.

  12. Re: USB webcam

    In article <48cd0ac8$0$11773$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
    AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
    > bb wrote:
    > > On 2008-08-31 04:27, mike7411@gmail.com wrote:
    > >

    > >> Anyone know about OpenSUSE 10.3 with regards to starting udev?
    > >>
    > >> I was running OpenSUSE 10.3 and plugged in a USB Logitech webcam. It
    > >> never created /dev/video0.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas?

    > > Some Logitech cams works, other not.
    > >
    > > Logitech messenger should directly, just plug
    > > and play, but don't expect to get any good answer from the
    > > "computer expert" in your computer shop.
    > >
    > > I found a shop that was selling out all their messenger cameras, so I
    > > grabbed 4 of them, and they was working in suse 10.3 and 11 without any
    > > configurations.

    > Just found a 3Com Home Connect (Model 0776) webcam in a dumpster of
    > computer junk, and after I cleaned the lens of the fungus and mold, it
    > works great!

    Where did the previous owner have it, a bathroom?

    Which IM programs that do video chatting? What about motion-triggered
    video capture?

    And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN

  13. Re: USB webcam

    Hactar wrote:
    > In article <48cd0ac8$0$11773$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
    > AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:

    >> Just found a 3Com Home Connect (Model 0776) webcam in a dumpster of
    >> computer junk, and after I cleaned the lens of the fungus and mold, it
    >> works great!

    > Where did the previous owner have it, a bathroom?

    Much of Florida is underwater, over the past month, and the humidity is
    above 88%.

    Automobiles, boats, mailboxes, glass windows, siding, and security cams,
    all tend to grow a coat of green and need weekly cleaning!

    Any smooth surface that doesn't get cleaned often grows either rust, or
    mold, or both!

    > Which IM programs that do video chatting? What about motion-triggered
    > video capture?

    GAIM project became Pidgin, try it!

  14. Re: USB webcam

    In article <48cd6fd8$0$11757$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
    AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > Which IM programs that do video chatting? What about motion-triggered
    > > video capture?

    > GAIM project became Pidgin, try it!

    Quoth http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin:

    ,--
    | Does Pidgin support webcams (video)?
    | Does Pidgin support MSN video chat?
    |
    | Not currently. It is planned.
    '--

    :-( Maybe I have to use another OS in VMware?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    "It can be shown that for any nutty theory, beyond-the-fringe political

  15. Re: USB webcam

    Hactar wrote:
    > :-( Maybe I have to use another OS in VMware?

    I think there are packages that run in wine that provide this facility.
    My brother does teleconferencing and he normally uses Microsoft Windows
    Live Messenger, but his computer went down a few weeks ago, and he is
    temporarily on a Linux based machine. I know his webcam and audio are
    working, and he was going to install some sort of messenger program in
    wine, but I can't remember what package it was.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  16. Re: USB webcam

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I think there are packages that run in wine that provide this facility.
    > My brother does teleconferencing and he normally uses Microsoft Windows
    > Live Messenger, but his computer went down a few weeks ago, and he is
    > temporarily on a Linux based machine. I know his webcam and audio are
    > working, and he was going to install some sort of messenger program in
    > wine, but I can't remember what package it was.

    you do not need Windows[tm] in any form, *or* WINE to use a webcam..

    i have a no-name cam that works great with Skype and/or Konsole set
    up via the info at http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Web_Cameras

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  17. Re: USB webcam

    In article <48ce65b3$0$15886$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.dk>,
    DenverD wrote:
    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    > > I think there are packages that run in wine that provide this facility.
    > > My brother does teleconferencing and he normally uses Microsoft Windows
    > > Live Messenger, but his computer went down a few weeks ago, and he is
    > > temporarily on a Linux based machine. I know his webcam and audio are
    > > working, and he was going to install some sort of messenger program in
    > > wine, but I can't remember what package it was.

    > you do not need Windows[tm] in any form, *or* WINE to use a webcam..
    >
    > i have a no-name cam that works great with Skype and/or Konsole set
    > up via the info at http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Web_Cameras

    Sure, but I don't have friends on Skype (at least I don't know that I
    do). I would like to video-IM with folks on AIM and MSN Messenger (or
    whatever it's called this week), and to a lesser extent Jabber/XMPP,
    ICQ, and Yahoo! IM.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

  18. Re: USB webcam

    easy, get new friends who are not hobbled by the M$ ring in their nose..

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  19. Re: USB webcam

    DenverD wrote:

    > you do not need Windows[tm] in any form, *or* WINE to use a webcam..

    To achieve teleconferencing, you currently need two separate applications.
    My brother uses amsn for two way live video, and runs a separate voice
    over IP program to relay sound.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  20. Re: USB webcam

    > To achieve teleconferencing, you currently need two separate applications.

    (depending on what you mean by teleconferencing) i do it all with one
    program: Skype