Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP - Hardware

This is a discussion on Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP - Hardware ; Hey, I need to connect 3 webcams to a labtop running Linux (Ubuntu or Fedora9) and periodically capture and save image frames from those 3 webcams as fast as it can be. Later on I also repeat the same operation ...

  1. Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    Hey,

    I need to connect 3 webcams to a labtop running Linux (Ubuntu or
    Fedora9) and periodically capture and save image frames from those 3
    webcams as fast as it can be.

    Later on I also repeat the same operation on a Windows XP machine
    belongs to someone else.

    I have limited budget and I want to use the same 3 webcams on two
    trials. I want my image frames in 640x480 or better resolution.

    Questions:
    * Which webcams (brand name, model name) are known to be running
    both on Linux and on Win XP without any problem?
    * Would it be a problem using 3 webcams on one PC?
    * Is there any ready to use utility software that can capture image
    frames from 3 cameras simultaneously?
    * Is there any open source code doing this in Linux?

    Thx,

    miemchan at gmail dot com

  2. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    On 2008-08-27, Miem wrote:

    > I have limited budget and I want to use the same 3 webcams on two
    > trials. I want my image frames in 640x480 or better resolution.
    >
    > Questions:
    > * Which webcams (brand name, model name) are known to be running
    > both on Linux and on Win XP without any problem?

    Find a model that runs under Linux. You won't have problems finding a driver
    for Windows.

    > * Would it be a problem using 3 webcams on one PC?

    Of course not. Not if they're USB.

    > * Is there any ready to use utility software that can capture image
    > frames from 3 cameras simultaneously?

    I can only speek for Linux. In Windows, I don't think you'll find a utility.
    The last cam I used had an entire suit of applications, all graphical (not
    very usefull if you want to run the using schedule)

    You forgot about multitasking. Just set up a script to capture one, and copy
    that with modified webcam parameters. Run the 3 scripts at the same time,
    with a simple cron job.

    > * Is there any open source code doing this in Linux?

    Yes. But it's been a while since I did it first, and I haven't gotten to do
    it on this machine yet.

    --
    Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is

  3. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    Miem wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I need to connect 3 webcams to a labtop running Linux (Ubuntu or
    > Fedora9) and periodically capture and save image frames from those 3
    > webcams as fast as it can be.
    > (...)
    >
    > Questions:
    > * Which webcams (brand name, model name) are known to be running
    > both on Linux and on Win XP without any problem?

    I'm searching for similar hardware, but I want 4 webcam....
    I found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-5M-WEBCAM-Ca...QQcmdZViewItem

    (or similar - most webcams witch "UVC compatibile" should work well
    under WinXP/Vista/Mac/Linux)
    there is list of known cameras
    http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

    see also this lists
    http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html
    http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

    I search for camera that could work under ARM9 arch.
    I think that I could port driver myself, but maybe it is done already?

    > * Would it be a problem using 3 webcams on one PC?

    No. I have in another computer (Gentoo linux) connected 12 cameras and
    all works well,
    - 8 analog CCTV camera connected do 2 video capture cards bt878 chipset
    (4 inputs each) & 4 USB UVC cameras
    ( but fps isn't high)
    > * Is there any ready to use utility software that can capture image
    > frames from 3 cameras simultaneously?
    > * Is there any open source code doing this in Linux?

    Yes, there are several programs, ask google "Linux video recording"

    I'm using
    http://www.zoneminder.com/
    bu also
    http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/
    is quite good

    Mariusz Koniarz

  4. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    Miem wrote:
    > * Is there any ready to use utility software that can capture image
    > frames from 3 cameras simultaneously?
    > * Is there any open source code doing this in Linux?

    Not sure what your application for the cams is but you might check
    out www.zoneminder.org if you're interested in surveillance.

  5. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    In article <09fgo5-80f.ln1@whisper.very.softly>,
    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-27, Miem wrote:
    >
    > > * Would it be a problem using 3 webcams on one PC?

    > Of course not. Not if they're USB.

    Eh, not so fast. The driver for my Intel "Create and Share" cam, "gspca",
    reserves USB bandwidth. If you have two of them hanging off a hub, the
    first one gets the bandwidth, and the second one chokes. At least
    that's how I think it works; I only have one.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

  6. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    On 2008-08-27, Hactar wrote:

    > In article <09fgo5-80f.ln1@whisper.very.softly>,
    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-27, Miem wrote:
    >>
    >> > * Would it be a problem using 3 webcams on one PC?

    >> Of course not. Not if they're USB.

    > Eh, not so fast. The driver for my Intel "Create and Share" cam, "gspca",
    > reserves USB bandwidth. If you have two of them hanging off a hub, the
    > first one gets the bandwidth, and the second one chokes. At least
    > that's how I think it works; I only have one.

    Possible, but that would Really Bad Design[tm].
    Have you tested that, say by monitoring the transfer speed to/from an USB
    disk?

    They're not supposed to reserve bandwidth on a shared resource. Not until
    they need it. And even then only the strict minimum. Which is nothing, in
    this case: a single snapshot from time to time.

    But thanks for the info, I'll watch out for that, in my upcomming purchase.

    (note to self: stay away from Intel cams)

    --
    Hanlon's Razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is
    adequately explained by stupidity.

  7. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    In article ,
    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-27, Hactar wrote:
    > >

    > > In article <09fgo5-80f.ln1@whisper.very.softly>,
    > > Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > >> Of course not. Not if they're USB.

    > > Eh, not so fast. The driver for my Intel "Create and Share" cam, "gspca",
    > > reserves USB bandwidth. If you have two of them hanging off a hub, the
    > > first one gets the bandwidth, and the second one chokes. At least
    > > that's how I think it works; I only have one.

    > Possible, but that would Really Bad Design[tm].

    Yes it would.

    > Have you tested that, say by monitoring the transfer speed to/from an USB
    > disk?

    On the driver's web site (?) there was a troubleshooting entry for "if you
    have this on a hub with some other stuff and it doesn't work" where they
    discussed the reservation of bandwidth and offered a workaround.

    > But thanks for the info, I'll watch out for that, in my upcomming purchase.
    >
    > (note to self: stay away from Intel cams)

    Shouldn't be a worry; I don't think they make this one any more.
    Probably haven't for a while.

    If you need someone to blame
    Throw a rock in the air
    You'll hit someone guilty -- U2, _Zooropa_, "Dirty Day"

  8. Re: Multiple webcams on Ubuntu Fedora and Win XP

    On Aug 27, 6:12*am, Miem wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I need to connect 3 webcams to a labtop running Linux (Ubuntu or
    > Fedora9) and periodically capture and save image frames from those 3
    > webcams as fast as it can be.
    >
    > Later on I also repeat the same operation on a Windows XP machine
    > belongs to someone else.
    >
    > I have limited budget and I want to use the same 3 webcams on two
    > trials. I want my image frames in 640x480 or better resolution.
    >
    > Questions:
    > * * Which webcams (brand name, model name) are known to be running
    > both on Linux and on Win XP without any problem?
    > * * Would it be a problem using 3 webcams on one PC?
    > * * Is there any ready to use utility software that can capture image
    > frames from 3 cameras simultaneously?
    > * * Is there any open source code doing this in Linux?
    >
    > Thx,
    >
    > miemchan at gmail dot com

    How simultaneously you want to capture images? If you want to build a
    high level of sync between cameras, it is a problem. Few years back I
    didn't find any problem for similar setup, but my cameras were on
    different IP addresses and I didn't required sync between them
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread