Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200] monitor? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200] monitor? - Hardware ; I've spent some time researching/googling, but have not come up with anything definite, so thought I'd ask here. I have an nvidia NV43 GeForce 6600 video card and am trying to find out if the latest nvidia drivers for linux ...

  1. Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200] monitor?

    I've spent some time researching/googling, but have not come up with
    anything definite, so thought I'd ask here. I have an nvidia NV43 GeForce
    6600 video card and am trying to find out if the latest nvidia drivers for
    linux can drive the card reliably at 1920 x 1200 resolution (24" monitor).
    I'm running Fedora 9, in case it matters, which it probably does.
    (kernel: 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)

    BTW, I looked up the specs for the card and they specify that the card
    can handle 1920 x 1200.

    Any info. (including positive or negative anecdotes) on this would be
    appreciated. And if I forgot to mention something important about my
    setup, let me know.

    (If there's a better group to post this in, I'd appreciate it if you
    could direct me to it.)

    Thanks!

    --

  2. Re: Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200]monitor?

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > I am trying to find out if the latest nvidia drivers for linux can
    > drive the card reliably at 1920 x 1200 resolution (24" monitor). I'm
    > running Fedora 9, in case it matters, which it probably does.
    > (kernel: 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)

    Hi Jim,

    Yes, the official NVIDIA drivers will have no problem running a 6600 @
    1920x1200.

    In addition, you will also have the opportunity to use the Xorg drivers,
    NV and VESA, which will also be able to achieve the goal you'd stated

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  3. Re: Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200]monitor?

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:21:29 +0200, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > I've spent some time researching/googling, but have not come up with
    > anything definite, so thought I'd ask here. I have an nvidia NV43
    > GeForce 6600 video card and am trying to find out if the latest nvidia
    > drivers for linux can drive the card reliably at 1920 x 1200 resolution
    > (24" monitor). I'm running Fedora 9, in case it matters, which it
    > probably does. (kernel: 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
    >
    > BTW, I looked up the specs for the card and they specify that the card
    > can handle 1920 x 1200.
    >
    > Any info. (including positive or negative anecdotes) on this would be
    > appreciated. And if I forgot to mention something important about my
    > setup, let me know.
    >
    > (If there's a better group to post this in, I'd appreciate it if you
    > could direct me to it.)
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'm running the GeForce 6600 card under Fedora 9 64-bit with a 19" LG LCD
    monitor at 1280 x 1024, the max resolution, but with the livna repository
    nvidia driver, which is recommended, and not the one from NVidia, which
    is not. The native drivers directly from NVidia have problems with
    Fedora's kernel. The driver from livna are custom configured to work
    with the version kernel you are running. When you update your kernel,
    the livna nvidia driver is updated, too, to maintain compatibility. Yum
    does this all automatically, configuring everything properly.

    These links will help:

    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/
    http://fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

    Stef

  4. Re: Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200]monitor?

    Jim Cochrane wrote:
    > I've spent some time researching/googling, but have not come up with
    > anything definite, so thought I'd ask here. I have an nvidia NV43 GeForce
    > 6600 video card and am trying to find out if the latest nvidia drivers for
    > linux can drive the card reliably at 1920 x 1200 resolution (24" monitor).

    Well, since I'm running at 1920x1200 (24") using a GeForce 5200, I would
    expect the 6600 to work just fine also.

    --
    Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu

  5. Re: Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200] monitor?

    On 2008-08-28, Stefan Patric wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:21:29 +0200, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >
    >> I have an nvidia NV43
    >> GeForce 6600 video card and am trying to find out if the latest nvidia
    >> drivers for linux can drive the card reliably at 1920 x 1200 resolution
    >> (24" monitor). I'm running Fedora 9, in case it matters, which it
    >> probably does. (kernel: 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)

    I just tried the proprietary NVidia driver (v177.68) with my GEForce
    6600 card on 64-bit Fedora8 and it worked at 1900x1440, but not at
    1900x1200.

    > I'm running the GeForce 6600 card under Fedora 9 64-bit with a 19" LG LCD
    > monitor at 1280 x 1024, the max resolution, but with the livna repository
    > nvidia driver, which is recommended, and not the one from NVidia, which
    > is not. The native drivers directly from NVidia have problems with
    > Fedora's kernel.

    What's the problem you've seen with NVidia's drivers? All I've ever had
    to do to make them work is run the installer from a text session. If the
    included kernel modules don't work, the installer compiles new ones for
    you based on your current kernel.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: Status of nvidia cards (GeForce 6600) with 24" [1920 x 1200]monitor?

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:12:37 -0500, John Thompson wrote:

    > On 2008-08-28, Stefan Patric wrote:
    >>

    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:21:29 +0200, Jim Cochrane wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm running the GeForce 6600 card under Fedora 9 64-bit with a 19" LG
    >> LCD monitor at 1280 x 1024, the max resolution, but with the livna
    >> repository nvidia driver, which is recommended, and not the one from
    >> NVidia, which is not. The native drivers directly from NVidia have
    >> problems with Fedora's kernel.

    > What's the problem you've seen with NVidia's drivers? All I've ever had
    > to do to make them work is run the installer from a text session. If the
    > included kernel modules don't work, the installer compiles new ones for
    > you based on your current kernel.

    The problem? I think it was a bug in the kernel regarding the driver
    which caused a loading problem--it wouldn't--on booting, but it only
    related to the Fedora distros, no others. It was Fedora itself that
    recommended using the third party nvidia driver from the livna repository
    instead of NVidia's. So, I have.

    This is the source for recommendation.

    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...c6.html#nvidia

    As far as I know, this recommendation goes back to FC3 or 4, but prior to
    FC6, I wasn't using an NVidia based graphics card or motherboard, so I
    never needed that particular driver. I started with FC3.

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread