redhat 9 & new viewsonic terminal - Hardware

This is a discussion on redhat 9 & new viewsonic terminal - Hardware ; hi, could someone point me in the right direction to replace an existing terminal with a viewsonic vx2240w i have tried editing /etc/X11/XF86Config directly, tried redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig where & how can i add this terminal manually ? perhaps to a ...

  1. redhat 9 & new viewsonic terminal

    hi,

    could someone point me in the right direction to replace an existing
    terminal with a viewsonic vx2240w
    i have tried editing /etc/X11/XF86Config directly,
    tried redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

    where & how can i add this terminal manually ?
    perhaps to a list of terminals.

    bye, leon
    Leon Haverly AMS LLC 770-426-5509 (w) leon@amsllc.com
    Marietta, GA 30064 770-422-9355 (h) www.amsllc.com

    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary,
    and those who don't.

  2. Re: redhat 9 & new viewsonic terminal

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Leon Haverly wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > could someone point me in the right direction to replace an existing terminal
    > with a viewsonic vx2240w
    > i have tried editing /etc/X11/XF86Config directly,
    > tried redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig
    >
    > where & how can i add this terminal manually ?
    > perhaps to a list of terminals.

    Redhat 9 (if you really mean this) has been obsolete for years. Is there a
    good reason to continue using it?

    However, if I recall correctly, RH9 has a program called "Xconfigurator"
    -- I would start there.

  3. Re: redhat 9 & new viewsonic terminal

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 2008-08-24, Leon Haverly wrote:
    >>
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> could someone point me in the right direction to replace an existing
    >> terminal with a viewsonic vx2240w

    > According to Google, that's a monitor, not a terminal.

    Computer terminal, a hardware device for data entry and display in a
    computer system. Wikipedia
    the box just calls it a lcd
    didn't realize that was relevant
    >> i have tried editing /etc/X11/XF86Config directly,

    > What changes did you try to make?

    tried to enter the proper h & v, dimensions etc
    >> tried redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig
    >>
    >> where & how can i add this terminal manually ?
    >> perhaps to a list of terminals.
    >>

    > You could start by replacing Redhat 9 with Fedora 9.

    perhaps it should be obvious i have a need for rh 9.

    thank you for your help

    --

    bye, leon

    Leon Haverly AMS LLC 770-426-5509 (w) leon@amsllc.com
    Marietta, GA 30064 770-422-9355 (h) www.amsllc.com

    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary,
    and those who don't.

  4. Re: redhat 9 & new viewsonic terminal

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:59:18 -0400, Leon Haverly wrote:

    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-24, Leon Haverly wrote:
    >>>
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> could someone point me in the right direction to replace an existing
    >>> terminal with a viewsonic vx2240w

    >> According to Google, that's a monitor, not a terminal.
    >>

    > Computer terminal, a hardware device for data entry and display in a
    > computer system. Wikipedia
    > the box just calls it a lcd
    > didn't realize that was relevant
    >>> i have tried editing /etc/X11/XF86Config directly,

    >> What changes did you try to make?
    >>

    > tried to enter the proper h & v, dimensions etc
    >>> tried redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig
    >>>
    >>> where & how can i add this terminal manually ? perhaps to a list of
    >>> terminals.
    >>>

    >> You could start by replacing Redhat 9 with Fedora 9.

    > perhaps it should be obvious i have a need for rh 9.
    >
    > thank you for your help

    If you really have a need for RH 9 (which I doubt) you could run it in a
    virtual machine on top of Fedora 9 or CentOS 5. Trying to support modern
    hardware in a distro that was obsolete 5 years ago is a futile exercise.
    Fortunately with virtualization you don't have to. Use the modern distro
    as the host OS, which gives you hardware compatibility, and then run the
    legacy distro as a VM on top of VMware Server. However if I were you I'd
    see if you could use CentOS5 directly. Redhat tries to maintain good
    backwards compatibility with their older distros through the use of
    compatibility libraries. If that doesn't work then use the VM approach.

+ Reply to Thread