Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD - Hardware

  1. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:11:11 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > AMD OverDrive On Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| When it comes to ATI hardware, one of the features we have been after for the
    >| longest time on Linux has been any overclocking support. Windows users have
    >| ATI's OverDrive at their disposal along with an arsenal of third-party
    >| utilities such as ATI Tool. NVIDIA also has various utilities for
    >| overclocking their graphics cards on Windows, but they also provide support
    >| for overclocking on Linux. Today though with the release of the Catalyst 8.8
    >| Linux driver there is finally ATI OverDrive 5 support on Linux.

    Don't you think stable Linux drivers from ATI would be more important to
    the Linux community?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    >> AMD OverDrive On Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| When it comes to ATI hardware, one of the features we have been after for the
    >>| longest time on Linux has been any overclocking support. Windows users have
    >>| ATI's OverDrive at their disposal along with an arsenal of third-party
    >>| utilities such as ATI Tool. NVIDIA also has various utilities for
    >>| overclocking their graphics cards on Windows, but they also provide support
    >>| for overclocking on Linux. Today though with the release of the Catalyst 8.8
    >>| Linux driver there is finally ATI OverDrive 5 support on Linux.

    > Don't you think stable Linux drivers from ATI would be more important to
    > the Linux community?

    Why? That's like saying the American people want better foreign policy
    rather than lower taxes or more efficient government.

    It's a big community, and some people have different priorities.

    --
    .... when fits of creativity run strong, more than one programmer or writer
    has been known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious floor.

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:30:07 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> AMD OverDrive On Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Don't you think stable Linux drivers from ATI would be more important to
    >> the Linux community?

    > Why? That's like saying the American people want better foreign policy
    > rather than lower taxes or more efficient government.
    >
    > It's a big community, and some people have different priorities.

    Until the drivers are stable and the current ATI drivers are dubious at
    best, what's the point of overclocking?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    > Until the drivers are stable and the current ATI drivers are dubious at
    > best, what's the point of overclocking?

    Who says that? (Just asking, I don't pay attention to ATI at the
    moment.)

    --
    Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.
    -- Gandhi

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:51:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Until the drivers are stable and the current ATI drivers are dubious at
    >> best, what's the point of overclocking?

    > Who says that? (Just asking, I don't pay attention to ATI at the
    > moment.)

    ATI have a long history of unstable drivers, even in the Windows world.
    ATI and Linux over the years has not been a great combination.
    Nvidia is a much, much better choice.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Nvidia is a much, much better choice.

    Unfortunately there are no specifications available for creation of
    drivers for Nvidia cards, so these cards don't do 3d acceleration on
    open source based systems. There is still a lot of reverse engineering
    to be done, in order to get operational open source 3d drivers for
    these.

    Intel graphics seem to work well in normal circumstances, but I have no
    experience of them within an overclocked environment.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  8. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:19:45 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 20 August 2008 23:51 : \____
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Until the drivers are stable and the current ATI drivers are dubious at
    >>> best, what's the point of overclocking?

    >> Who says that? (Just asking, I don't pay attention to ATI at the
    >> moment.)

    > My ATI drivers have been great for 5 years. I don't go complex things, just
    > multi-head.

    You're using 5 year old video drivers/card on that high end machine you
    just purchased?

    Hmmmmm....

    Is this another "I haven't used Windows in years", "I use Windows once in a
    while", " I use Windows for some things but hate it" etc comments....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:51:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Until the drivers are stable and the current ATI drivers are dubious at
    >>> best, what's the point of overclocking?

    >> Who says that? (Just asking, I don't pay attention to ATI at the
    >> moment.)

    > ATI have a long history of unstable drivers, even in the Windows world.
    > ATI and Linux over the years has not been a great combination.
    > Nvidia is a much, much better choice.

    Really That is all I use is ATI and linux, dating from the Redhat 5.0 days
    and I simply have not have a problem with unstable unstable drivers

  10. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:30:07 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> AMD OverDrive On Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Don't you think stable Linux drivers from ATI would be more important to
    >> the Linux community?

    > Why? That's like saying the American people want better foreign policy
    > rather than lower taxes or more efficient government.
    >
    > It's a big community, and some people have different priorities.

    I'm using ATI drivers on one of my 64bit machines, & it's perfectly stale.
    WTF is the troll blubbering about.

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ

  11. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:30:07 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> It's a big community, and some people have different priorities.

    > I'm using ATI drivers on one of my 64bit machines, & it's perfectly stale.
    > WTF is the troll blubbering about.

    He's a troll. His primary language is Blubberspeak.

    Anyway, I did find on my 64-bit box that NVidia and ATI don't get along
    well together on a dual-monitor setup. I ended up buying a second
    cheapo nvidia-based card.

    --
    You own a dog, but you can only feed a cat.

  12. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On 2008-08-21, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:30:07 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Don't you think stable Linux drivers from ATI would be more important to
    >>> the Linux community?

    >> Why? That's like saying the American people want better foreign policy
    >> rather than lower taxes or more efficient government.
    >>
    >> It's a big community, and some people have different priorities.

    > I'm using ATI drivers on one of my 64bit machines, & it's perfectly stale.
    > WTF is the troll blubbering about.

    This is just part of their campaign to characterise Linux as
    inherently unstable...

    --
    If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
    it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing |||

  13. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    On 2008-08-21, Mark Hobley hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Nvidia is a much, much better choice.

    > Unfortunately there are no specifications available for creation of
    > drivers for Nvidia cards, so these cards don't do 3d acceleration on
    > open source based systems. There is still a lot of reverse engineering
    > to be done, in order to get operational open source 3d drivers for
    > these.
    >
    > Intel graphics seem to work well in normal circumstances, but I have no
    > experience of them within an overclocked environment.

    I hope you do know that you're replying to a win-troll?

    > Mark.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  14. Re: [News] GNU/Linux gains Overclocking from AMD

    i still got troubles with my ati 8.8 and wine+opengl games (corrupted
    display as soon as i start it).

    but perhaps its just my wine installation.

    On 2008-08-22, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-08-21, William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:30:07 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Why? That's like saying the American people want better foreign policy
    >>> rather than lower taxes or more efficient government.
    >>>
    >>> It's a big community, and some people have different priorities.

    >> I'm using ATI drivers on one of my 64bit machines, & it's perfectly stale.
    >> WTF is the troll blubbering about.

    > This is just part of their campaign to characterise Linux as
    > inherently unstable...

+ Reply to Thread