External drives - compatible with Linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on External drives - compatible with Linux? - Hardware ; >>>> There are plenty of external USB hard drives out there that should >>>> do the trick. But are they compatible with Linux? I have a Seagate "FreeAgent". It works with Linux 1) after running the Windoze-only configuration that disables ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: External drives - compatible with Linux?

    I have a Seagate "FreeAgent".
    It works with Linux

    1) after running the Windoze-only configuration
    that disables the auto-shutoff
    (Linux gets upset when the drive powers down by itself)

    2) repartitioning and formatting with a Linux file system
    such as ext2/3 or resierfs (or others).

    > A great solution is the Thermaltake BlacX,
    > combined with one or more SATA drives.
    > This box has USB and eSATA ports,
    > both of which work well with recent Linux distributions.

    That sounds great!
    http://geeks.com/ sometimes has good deals
    on such "barebones" kits.
    I often use my minimalist kit with the power supply and
    adapter/cable for quick backups and restores
    from bare parallel-IDE drives to USB
    since that's hot-swappable (no reboots, no re-scans!).

    >Otherwise, I recommend that you find a generic hard drive enclosure
    >(USB/Firewire/eSATA) and put your drives in that. Don't buy a unit that
    >includes the drive -- with these you just seem to pay extra for the
    >privilege of less flexibility.

    I agree: the Seagate FreeAgent case does not seem to open at all
    so I cannot re-use the case.

  2. Re: External drives - compatible with Linux?

    > I found that Maxtor hard drives can fail catastrophically
    > taking the motherboard, power supply and processor down with them.

    I think I've endured 2 Maxtors failing at home,
    while powered up and running.
    One scribbled on random sectors all over the disk,
    making data recovery errr, umm, "difficult".
    "rescuedd" copied all the readable data to another drive
    and "fsck" valiently tried to repair the file system
    but the lost inode sectors ment the file data was hopelessly lost.

    Yes, I have a backup from about a month before
    but I was doing a LOT of file reorganization
    so merging the backup to the restored data
    is a hard problem.

    There's no excuse for power supplies failing like they are:
    they /used to be/ fail-safe and self-protecting as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2