WIFI advice. - Hardware

This is a discussion on WIFI advice. - Hardware ; I have an older computer running Slackware 12.1, connected to my cable ISP and my laser printer. My wife wants a laptop to use in the kitchen, the tv room etc. The OS for this laptop is not determined yet, ...

  1. WIFI advice.

    I have an older computer running Slackware 12.1, connected to my cable
    ISP and my laser printer.

    My wife wants a laptop to use in the kitchen, the tv room etc. The OS
    for this laptop is not determined yet, but may be Vista if we buy a
    new laptop. All my pci slots are occupied but I do have free USB
    ports.

    I want to create a wireless local net for low volume use, to let her
    get to the internet and use the laser. Low cost and low complexity are
    goals. I am asking the list for a set of hardware recommendations for
    both ends of the connection.

    Also, when we look for a laptop what kind of port is needed for that
    end of the connection?

    John Culleton

  2. Re: WIFI advice.

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:58:51 -0700, wexfordpress wrote:

    > I have an older computer running Slackware 12.1, connected to my cable
    > ISP and my laser printer.
    >
    > My wife wants a laptop to use in the kitchen, the tv room etc. The OS
    > for this laptop is not determined yet, but may be Vista if we buy a new
    > laptop. All my pci slots are occupied but I do have free USB ports.
    >
    > I want to create a wireless local net for low volume use, to let her get
    > to the internet and use the laser. Low cost and low complexity are
    > goals. I am asking the list for a set of hardware recommendations for
    > both ends of the connection.
    >
    > Also, when we look for a laptop what kind of port is needed for that end
    > of the connection?

    Save yourself a lot of problems, just buy a wireless router. (It will
    have plugs for wired connections, too.) Just plug it in, follow the
    directions, and you're done. Most have lots of features, including a
    built-in firewall.

    I use a Trendnet TEW-432BRP that I got on sale for about $35 to replace
    the DLink one that died.

    As far a "port" on the laptop: Most laptops these days have wireless and
    wired Ethernet built-in; however, if you get one that doesn't, I prefer
    PCMCIA for my wireless card. The USB ones are too easily bumped or
    dislodged.

    Stef

+ Reply to Thread