PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA - Hardware

This is a discussion on PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA - Hardware ; I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card is capable of. The above card was the only vga card available ...

  1. PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA

    I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony
    G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card is
    capable of.

    The above card was the only vga card available from Tiger Direct. But
    now I read that Windows users must install special drivers. Must I do
    the same on Linux Slack 12.1? I won't be using the dual monitor
    feature.

    Also, any hints about changes to e.g., xorg.conf?

    I posted before but it never showed up on the list.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA

    On 2008-08-14, wexfordpress hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony
    > G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card is
    > capable of.

    Hmmm I thought the resolutions would be determined by the Monitor
    itself and not the Video-card? On my old CRT I could get much higher
    resolutions on the 17" Monitor then its native. And it was a ATI
    card with "8MB-RAM" ATI RAGE II.

    On this LCD-Monitor I can't get a higher resolution then its
    1280x1024, which is it highest native resolution. And I use a AGP
    GEForce FX5500 with the same RAM as yours.

    What resolution is the monitor capable?

    > The above card was the only vga card available from Tiger Direct. But
    > now I read that Windows users must install special drivers. Must I do
    > the same on Linux Slack 12.1? I won't be using the dual monitor
    > feature.

    "Slackware"? You must have lots of time at Hand to get that distro
    how you want it.... Seriously Have you tried f.e. "Knoppix Live-CD".

    Are you aware that there is a "slackware" group, or are these guys to
    arrogant to help a newbie?

    I've seen "Slackware" users with sig-lines like the following:

    "*******" is a African word meaning "Slackware" is too hard for
    me--.

    > Also, any hints about changes to e.g., xorg.conf?

    Only if you change the driver for the card,

    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "kbd"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"

    > I posted before but it never showed up on the list.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA

    On Aug 14, 1:43 pm, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-08-14, wexfordpress hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    > > I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony
    > > G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card is
    > > capable of.

    > Hmmm I thought the resolutions would be determined by the Monitor
    > itself and not the Video-card? On my old CRT I could get much higher
    > resolutions on the 17" Monitor then its native. And it was a ATI
    > card with "8MB-RAM" ATI RAGE II.
    >
    > On this LCD-Monitor I can't get a higher resolution then its
    > 1280x1024, which is it highest native resolution. And I use a AGP
    > GEForce FX5500 with the same RAM as yours.
    >
    > What resolution is the monitor capable?

    1920 x 1440 but I will settle for 1600 x1200. With the elderly video
    card it is limited to 1024 x 768.
    That is written on the box the video card came in.

    > > The above card was the only vga card available from Tiger Direct. But
    > > now I read that Windows users must install special drivers. Must I do
    > > the same on Linux Slack 12.1? I won't be using the dual monitor
    > > feature.

    > "Slackware"? You must have lots of time at Hand to get that distro
    > how you want it.... Seriously Have you tried f.e. "Knoppix Live-CD".

    Of course, and Debian, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Suse, Slax, even Gentoo. But
    for my taste the best
    combination of user control and reliability is still Slackware.

    > Are you aware that there is a "slackware" group, or are these guys to
    > arrogant to help a newbie?

    Well they can be mean sometimes. I don't claim to be an expert even
    though my experience with Slackware goes badk to the boxful of 3.5"
    floppy days. Mean I don't mind, so long as I can get the answers I
    need.

    > I've seen "Slackware" users with sig-lines like the following:
    >
    > "*******" is a African word meaning "Slackware" is too hard for
    > me--.

    I don't mean to get involved in distro wars here. And my questions
    should be non-denominational. If I can run a GEforce card without
    special drivers I'll open the sealed box and go forward.

    John Culleton

  4. Re: PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA

    wexfordpress wrote:
    > I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony
    > G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card
    > is capable of.
    >
    > The above card was the only vga card available from Tiger Direct. But
    > now I read that Windows users must install special drivers. Must I
    > do the same on Linux Slack 12.1? I won't be using the dual monitor
    > feature.
    >
    > Also, any hints about changes to e.g., xorg.conf?
    >
    > I posted before but it never showed up on the list.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Hi John,

    I read on Amazon that your Sony G520 weighs a staunch 78.6lbs! Is that
    correct?

    I've had a quick look and you can either go with the accelerated
    official NVIDIA driver, but it's closed source, or you can go with the
    Xorg NV driver which is open source.

    If you go with the official closed-source driver you will probably be
    responsible for maintaining it yourself. If you don't need the 3D
    acceleration you're probably best off with the NV driver as your package
    manager will look after it along with Xorg

    The Geforce 5200 has a maximum resolution of 1920x1440 so in this
    respect it is a good choice of card.

    In case you run into any configuration problems, you may find this
    thread useful:

    With newer TFT's and LCD's they only have one resolution (referred to as
    their 'native' resolution) and no configuration is required (my
    xorg.conf is automatic in this respect), however with CRT's like your
    big old Sony you will almost certainly need some modeline magic

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  5. Re: PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA

    On Aug 14, 5:21 pm, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    > wexfordpress wrote:
    > > I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony
    > > G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card
    > > is capable of.

    > > The above card was the only vga card available from Tiger Direct. But
    > > now I read that Windows users must install special drivers. Must I
    > > do the same on Linux Slack 12.1? I won't be using the dual monitor
    > > feature.

    > > Also, any hints about changes to e.g., xorg.conf?

    > > I posted before but it never showed up on the list.

    > > John Culleton

    > Hi John,
    >
    > I read on Amazon that your Sony G520 weighs a staunch 78.6lbs! Is that
    > correct?
    >
    > I've had a quick look and you can either go with the accelerated
    > official NVIDIA driver, but it's closed source, or you can go with the
    > Xorg NV driver which is open source.
    >
    > If you go with the official closed-source driver you will probably be
    > responsible for maintaining it yourself. If you don't need the 3D
    > acceleration you're probably best off with the NV driver as your package
    > manager will look after it along with Xorg
    >
    > The Geforce 5200 has a maximum resolution of 1920x1440 so in this
    > respect it is a good choice of card.
    >
    > In case you run into any configuration problems, you may find this
    > thread useful:http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69639
    >
    > With newer TFT's and LCD's they only have one resolution (referred to as
    > their 'native' resolution) and no configuration is required (my
    > xorg.conf is automatic in this respect), however with CRT's like your
    > big old Sony you will almost certainly need some modeline magic
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Sheridan Hutchinson
    > Sheri...@Shezza.org
    >
    > signature.asc
    > < 1KViewDownload

    Thanks for the reply. My monitor weighs in at about 66 lb according to
    the manual.

    Well I crossed my fingers, plugged it in to a pci slot, removed my old
    agp card and it worked!
    I did fiddle with the modeline as you suggested. I didn't get the
    finest resolution but I did get the others.

    Here is the modeline:
    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480

  6. Re: PNY GeForce 5200 256MB PCI w/Dual VGA

    On Friday 15 August 2008 21:19, someone identifying as *wexfordpress* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > On Aug 14, 5:21 pm, Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    >
    >> wexfordpress wrote:
    >>
    >> > I need a more capable video card to go with my old but high end Sony
    >> > G520 monitor. I want to use higher resolutions than my present card
    >> > is capable of.

    >> > The above card was the only vga card available from Tiger Direct. But
    >> > now I read that Windows users must install special drivers. Must I
    >> > do the same on Linux Slack 12.1? I won't be using the dual monitor
    >> > feature.

    >> I've had a quick look and you can either go with the accelerated
    >> official NVIDIA driver, but it's closed source, or you can go with the
    >> Xorg NV driver which is open source.
    >>
    >> If you go with the official closed-source driver you will probably be
    >> responsible for maintaining it yourself. If you don't need the 3D
    >> acceleration you're probably best off with the NV driver as your package
    >> manager will look after it along with Xorg
    >>
    >> The Geforce 5200 has a maximum resolution of 1920x1440 so in this
    >> respect it is a good choice of card.
    >>
    >> In case you run into any configuration problems, you may find this
    >> thread useful:http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69639
    >>
    >> With newer TFT's and LCD's they only have one resolution (referred to as
    >> their 'native' resolution) and no configuration is required (my
    >> xorg.conf is automatic in this respect), however with CRT's like your
    >> big old Sony you will almost certainly need some modeline magic

    > Well I crossed my fingers, plugged it in to a pci slot, removed my old
    > agp card and it worked!
    > I did fiddle with the modeline as you suggested. I didn't get the
    > finest resolution but I did get the others.
    >
    > Here is the modeline:
    > Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480

    That's not the modeline, that's the list of available modes. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread