Re: CPU over heating! Please help! - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: CPU over heating! Please help! - Hardware ; Chris Cox wrote: > Not me wrote: >> Sorry had to repost, I wrote down the wrong addy... >> >> Has anybody ran into this same problem?? >> >> I just installed the ACX100sta drivers for my DWL-650+ PCMCIA to ...

  1. Re: CPU over heating! Please help!

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Not me wrote:
    >> Sorry had to repost, I wrote down the wrong addy...
    >>
    >> Has anybody ran into this same problem??
    >>
    >> I just installed the ACX100sta drivers for my DWL-650+ PCMCIA to be
    >> detected
    >> in Mandrake 9.1.... it works by detecting BUT it is (or something is
    >> anyways) causing my cpu to over heat. It says it running between the
    >> range
    >> of 98-99 and my fan is always on high blowing out hotair.

    > Uhhh... if the fan is on full blast AND the machine overheats,
    > then this clearly broken HW or a broken design.
    >
    > Now, it is a well known problem that some newer laptops don't
    > like the Linux acpi implementation and won't run their fan
    > at all... in those cases, often times you can revert back
    > to just apm and the fan will return.

    When your cpu over heats it is a clear sign that you need to take your
    computer to the PC shop to have them clean it out with an anti static
    cleaner, o ryou can use you average house hold vacuum clean (not
    recommended due to damage from possible electrostatic discharge).
    As always you should use a grounding mat and a anti static wrist strap
    when work inside a computer case, It is highly recommended that you do
    not keep your computer chassis on the floor , due to dust (I.E> keep
    thoes chassis on your desk and don't prohibit air from flowing through
    the vents) Do not by any means lay a tower chassis on edge as this could
    result in read errors from your cd dvd read/writer.

    Thanks,

    Linux-Hawk

  2. Re: CPU over heating! Please help!

    I agree with hawk.. Take it in for repair unless you are so inclined
    take it apart and clean up the
    system yourself.

    I had a problem similiar to this. But the thermal circuit worked and
    the unit would shut off.

    What finally turned out to be the problem was that the 'grease'
    between the CPU and heatsink had crystallized and was no longer
    wicking the heat away from the CPU.

    I got some new Artic Silver, cleaned the CPU and heatsink, applied the
    Artic Silver 'grease', and the overheating went away.

    Overheating happens for several reasons. The usual problem is clogged
    air channels, the next is a fan that does not work properly, next is
    overclocking, and sometimes what happened to me, crystallized CPU
    grease.

    On Aug 8, 12:31 am, Linux-Hawk wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    > > Not me wrote:
    > >> Sorry had to repost, I wrote down the wrong addy...

    > >> Has anybody ran into this same problem??

    > >> I just installed the ACX100sta drivers for my DWL-650+ PCMCIA to be
    > >> detected
    > >> in Mandrake 9.1.... it works by detecting BUT it is (or something is
    > >> anyways) causing my cpu to over heat. It says it running between the
    > >> range
    > >> of 98-99 and my fan is always on high blowing out hotair.

    > > Uhhh... if the fan is on full blast AND the machine overheats,
    > > then this clearly broken HW or a broken design.

    > > Now, it is a well known problem that some newer laptops don't
    > > like the Linux acpi implementation and won't run their fan
    > > at all... in those cases, often times you can revert back
    > > to just apm and the fan will return.

    > When your cpu over heats it is a clear sign that you need to take your
    > computer to the PC shop to have them clean it out with an anti static
    > cleaner, o ryou can use you average house hold vacuum clean (not
    > recommended due to damage from possible electrostatic discharge).
    > As always you should use a grounding mat and a anti static wrist strap
    > when work inside a computer case, It is highly recommended that you do
    > not keep your computer chassis on the floor , due to dust (I.E> keep
    > thoes chassis on your desk and don't prohibit air from flowing through
    > the vents) Do not by any means lay a tower chassis on edge as this could
    > result in read errors from your cd dvd read/writer.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Linux-Hawk

+ Reply to Thread