Dumping a multi-segment tape - Hardware

This is a discussion on Dumping a multi-segment tape - Hardware ; Does anyone have a script for dumping a multi-segment tape? Not sure if multi-segment is the correct word, but many backup programes write multi-segments of files onto a tape and a normal tar/cpio/dd will stop at the first EOT. Looking ...

  1. Dumping a multi-segment tape

    Does anyone have a script for dumping a multi-segment tape?

    Not sure if multi-segment is the correct word, but many backup programes
    write multi-segments of files onto a tape and a normal tar/cpio/dd will
    stop at the first EOT.

    Looking for a script or clubie as to how I can dump an old Sytos Plus tape
    in its entirity and be sure I have recovered all the files.

    Tried dd earlier and recovered the header and first data segment, but not
    sure if that is all on the tape.

    T.I.A.

  2. Re: Dumping a multi-segment tape

    terryc wrote:
    > Does anyone have a script for dumping a multi-segment tape?
    >
    > Not sure if multi-segment is the correct word, but many backup programes
    > write multi-segments of files onto a tape and a normal tar/cpio/dd will
    > stop at the first EOT.
    >
    > Looking for a script or clubie as to how I can dump an old Sytos Plus tape
    > in its entirity and be sure I have recovered all the files.
    >
    > Tried dd earlier and recovered the header and first data segment, but not
    > sure if that is all on the tape.

    I forget the details of the device names, but there are 2 (or more)
    devices for each tape device. One that rewinds on close (usually the
    default), and one that doesn't rewind on close. You need to use the
    no rewind device so the next tar command can pickup where the previous
    left off on the tape. Getting an empty file usually indicates the
    last segment.

  3. Re: Dumping a multi-segment tape

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:06:33 -0400, Joe Beanfish wrote:

    > terryc wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a script for dumping a multi-segment tape?
    >>
    >> Not sure if multi-segment is the correct word, but many backup programes
    >> write multi-segments of files onto a tape and a normal tar/cpio/dd will
    >> stop at the first EOT.
    >>
    >> Looking for a script or clubie as to how I can dump an old Sytos Plus tape
    >> in its entirity and be sure I have recovered all the files.
    >>
    >> Tried dd earlier and recovered the header and first data segment, but not
    >> sure if that is all on the tape.

    > I forget the details of the device names,

    /dev/st* <- auto rewind,
    /dev/nst* <- no auto rewind (used in a lot of backup systems)
    /dev/nrst8 <- apparently really old system that didn't EOF/EOT detect(?)

    > but there are 2 (or more)
    > devices for each tape device. One that rewinds on close (usually the
    > default), and one that doesn't rewind on close. You need to use the
    > no rewind device so the next tar command can pickup where the previous
    > left off on the tape. Getting an empty file usually indicates the
    > last segment.

    Thanks, confirms what I thought/was hoping was the case. All the tapes
    that the drive could read consisted of a header of 5 block, then the data
    segment. now all I have to do is work out how th extract the file(s) in
    each section.

+ Reply to Thread