Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible? - Hardware ; I have been trying to set this PNP595a up on my Dell Inspiron 4000 dual-boot laptop for some time and have done numerous searches thru Google trying to determine whether or not it can be made to work. If someone ...

  1. Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

    I have been trying to set this PNP595a up on my Dell Inspiron 4000
    dual-boot
    laptop for some time and have done numerous searches thru Google trying to
    determine whether or not it can be made to work.

    If someone supplies a determination either way it will be useful but if
    it is compatible then which chip set driver can I use with it?

    Thanks for your attention.

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

    Ningen banji Human beings do
    Samazama no Every single kind
    Baka a suru Of stupid thing
    --- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

  2. Re: Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    <6fmpmuFcber1U1@mid.individual.net>, bobbie sellers wrote:

    > I have been trying to set this PNP595a up on my Dell Inspiron 4000
    >dual-boot laptop for some time and have done numerous searches thru
    >Google trying to determine whether or not it can be made to work.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,210 for Linux Farallon EtherMac. (0.27
    seconds)

    Not much, but it seems to be the 3C589 module. The Hardware-HOWTO
    seems to confirm this (roughly line 15425).

    Old guy

  3. Re: Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    > <6fmpmuFcber1U1@mid.individual.net>, bobbie sellers wrote:
    >

    >> I have been trying to set this PNP595a up on my Dell Inspiron 4000
    >> dual-boot laptop for some time and have done numerous searches thru
    >> Google trying to determine whether or not it can be made to work.
    >>

    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,210 for Linux Farallon EtherMac. (0.27
    > seconds)
    >
    > Not much, but it seems to be the 3C589 module. The Hardware-HOWTO
    > seems to confirm this (roughly line 15425).
    >
    > Old guy

    Thanks from an old dame.

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
    a retired nurse in San Francisco

    Ningen banji Human beings do
    Samazama no Every single kind
    Baka a suru Of stupid thing
    --- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

  4. Re: Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    <6fpj69FcmnbeU1@mid.individual.net>, bobbie sellers wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Old guy

    > Thanks from an old dame.

    There is no such thing. And I've got a sister in her 70's...

    > a retired nurse in San Francisco

    who is still working as a floor nurse in Connecticut to prove that.
    My late Mother-in-Law was a nurse at French Hospital and later at
    Letterman.

    Which distribution/version are you using? What are you seeing at boot
    time? Is there anything interesting in /var/log/messages?

    Old guy

  5. Re: Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    > <6fpj69FcmnbeU1@mid.individual.net>, bobbie sellers wrote:
    >

    >> Moe Trin wrote:
    >>

    >>> Old guy
    >>>

    >> Thanks from an old dame.
    >>

    > There is no such thing. And I've got a sister in her 70's...
    >

    >> a retired nurse in San Francisco
    >>

    > who is still working as a floor nurse in Connecticut to prove that.
    > My late Mother-in-Law was a nurse at French Hospital and later at
    > Letterman.

    Yeah but i have health problems... Being retired on low income is much
    less fun than working and buying what you want and need.
    > Which distribution/version are you using? What are you seeing at boot
    > time? Is there anything interesting in /var/log/messages?
    >
    > Old guy

    I am using Mandriva 2008.1 official on this donated Dell Demension 2400.
    But on the Dell Inspiron 4000 I have a dual-boot XP Pro - Knoppix 5.1.1.
    I am using Knoppix because I need a fairly complete set of tools on a CD-ROM
    since the 4000 one has a CD-ROM drive.
    I haven't been checking the /var/log/messages as I am not smart or
    maybe well
    trained enough to get the sense from them. I am smart enough to ask here
    and on the SF-LUG mailing list for the information and I got the card
    recognized
    if not working with the Alcatel Speed Touch Home DSL modem, able to get
    to the
    Netgear RP114 configuration pages which I had not been able to do when it
    was connected to the Dimension.

    Thanks again for your attention and assistance/

    later
    bliss at california dot com

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*
    - a retired nurse in San Francisco

    Ningen banji Human beings do
    Samazama no Every single kind
    Baka a suru Of stupid thing
    --- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

  6. Re: Is the Farallon EtherMac PC Card GNU/Linux compatible?

    <6fq12aFco2n7U1@mid.individual.net>, bobbie sellers wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> bobbie sellers wrote:

    >>> Thanks from an old dame.

    >> There is no such thing. And I've got a sister in her 70's...

    >>> a retired nurse in San Francisco

    >> who is still working as a floor nurse in Connecticut to prove that.

    > Yeah but i have health problems... Being retired on low income is
    >much less fun than working and buying what you want and need.

    That's a contributory factor as why my sister is still working.

    >> Which distribution/version are you using? What are you seeing at boot
    >> time? Is there anything interesting in /var/log/messages?

    > I am using Mandriva 2008.1 official on this donated Dell Demension
    >2400. But on the Dell Inspiron 4000 I have a dual-boot XP Pro - Knoppix
    >5.1.1.

    Ahh... Does the setup work when booted into XP?

    >I haven't been checking the /var/log/messages as I am not smart or
    >maybe well trained enough to get the sense from them.

    OK - what we'd be looking for is something around boot time that
    mentions the 'eth' interface - looked for, probed, and set up. A
    second place to look is the output of the command '/sbin/ifconfig -a'
    and see what it says about the eth0 interface.

    >I am smart enough to ask here and on the SF-LUG mailing list for the
    >information and I got the card recognized if not working with the
    >Alcatel Speed Touch Home DSL modem, able to get to the Netgear RP114
    >configuration pages which I had not been able to do when it was
    >connected to the Dimension.

    Let's see if you have the HOWTOs on either system. There should be
    a /usr/share/HOWTO/ directory, and hopefully, it has a copy of

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 212647 Jul 22 2002 DSL-HOWTO

    That's the "real" file date - but anything dated afterwards is likely
    to be the same document. One "common" problem with DSL setups is that
    the modem is "configured" for one computer - it knows the Ethernet
    hardware address, and only wants to allow that computer to run. The
    solution is often as simple as turning off the modem for a minute or
    so when you unplug computer "A" and plug in "B". This action causes
    the modem to forget the "old" computer address, and accept the new one.
    You've got the same steps when you unplug "B" to go back to "A".

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread