kde4.1 hardware - Hardware

This is a discussion on kde4.1 hardware - Hardware ; I have a MSI k8t neo mb with a sempron 2800+ and 1g of ram. The video card is a MSI nvidia MX 4000 with 64m memory. kde4.1 works ok but some of the effects are marginal and translucency sometimes ...

  1. kde4.1 hardware

    I have a MSI k8t neo mb with a sempron 2800+ and 1g of ram. The video
    card is a MSI nvidia MX 4000 with 64m memory. kde4.1 works ok but some
    of the effects are marginal and translucency sometimes slows things down
    abit. Its usualble and I have turned off most of the desktop effects. Would
    upgrading the video card with one that has more memory or added ram
    be worth while???

    Thanks for any info

    bob

  2. Re: kde4.1 hardware

    On Sunday 03 August 2008 02:49, someone identifying as *bob* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > I have a MSI k8t neo mb with a sempron 2800+ and 1g of ram. The video
    > card is a MSI nvidia MX 4000 with 64m memory. kde4.1 works ok but some
    > of the effects are marginal and translucency sometimes slows things down
    > abit. Its usualble and I have turned off most of the desktop effects.
    > Would upgrading the video card with one that has more memory or added ram
    > be worth while???

    I have recently heard that there is a problem with KDE 4.1 and the current
    batch of nVidia drivers. Apparently the problem lies within the driver
    core itself, so best for you would be to either wait until a newer driver
    is released, or switch back to KDE 3.5 - or eventually use Gnome or another
    desktop instead.

    Hope this was helpful. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: kde4.1 hardware

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 03 August 2008 02:49, someone identifying as *bob* wrote
    > in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >
    >> I have a MSI k8t neo mb with a sempron 2800+ and 1g of ram. The video
    >> card is a MSI nvidia MX 4000 with 64m memory. kde4.1 works ok but some
    >> of the effects are marginal and translucency sometimes slows things down
    >> abit. Its usualble and I have turned off most of the desktop effects.
    >> Would upgrading the video card with one that has more memory or added ram
    >> be worth while???

    > I have recently heard that there is a problem with KDE 4.1 and the current
    > batch of nVidia drivers. Apparently the problem lies within the driver
    > core itself, so best for you would be to either wait until a newer driver
    > is released, or switch back to KDE 3.5 - or eventually use Gnome or
    > another desktop instead.
    >
    > Hope this was helpful. ;-)

    I will try to be patient. I have kde 3.5.9 and icewm on this machine so
    even if kde 4 quit it wouldn't be a crisis. I do think kde 4.1 is a good start and think it will be first class given alittle time.

    Tnx
    bob

  4. Re: kde4.1 hardware

    On Sunday 03 August 2008 14:49, someone identifying as *bob* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday 03 August 2008 02:49, someone identifying as *bob* wrote
    >> in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >>
    >>> I have a MSI k8t neo mb with a sempron 2800+ and 1g of ram. The video
    >>> card is a MSI nvidia MX 4000 with 64m memory. kde4.1 works ok but some
    >>> of the effects are marginal and translucency sometimes slows things down
    >>> abit. Its usualble and I have turned off most of the desktop effects.
    >>> Would upgrading the video card with one that has more memory or added
    >>> ram be worth while???

    >> I have recently heard that there is a problem with KDE 4.1 and the
    >> current batch of nVidia drivers. Apparently the problem lies within the
    >> driver core itself, so best for you would be to either wait until a newer
    >> driver is released, or switch back to KDE 3.5 - or eventually use Gnome
    >> or another desktop instead.

    > I will try to be patient. I have kde 3.5.9 and icewm on this machine so
    > even if kde 4 quit it wouldn't be a crisis. I do think kde 4.1 is a good
    > start and think it will be first class given alittle time.

    From what I've read about it, KDE 4.1 still seems to be missing out on a lot
    of the functionality of KDE 3.5.9, but I've seen the screenshots and read
    the reviews, and it does indeed sound very promising.

    I gather 4.1 was actually more of a finishing up of the incomplete work done
    on 4.0, so I reckon 4.2 - which should be out by the end of this year -
    would be really great.

    Well, as far as I'm concerned, even KDE 3.5.x is already great. I do a lot
    of stuff from the commandline - always have - but I must admit that I'm a
    KDE fan. ;-)

    (I've never really used Gnome on a regular basis, but I did at one stage use
    Enlightenment and IceWM at another stage. Enlightenment was pretty
    complex, but I didn't like the looks of IceWM.)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: kde4.1 hardware

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Sunday 03 August 2008 14:49, someone identifying as *bob* wrote
    > in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >
    >> Aragorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sunday 03 August 2008 02:49, someone identifying as *bob* wrote
    >>> in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    >>> I have recently heard that there is a problem with KDE 4.1 and the
    >>> current batch of nVidia drivers. Apparently the problem lies within the
    >>> driver core itself, so best for you would be to either wait until a
    >>> newer driver is released, or switch back to KDE 3.5 - or eventually use
    >>> Gnome or another desktop instead.

    >> I will try to be patient. I have kde 3.5.9 and icewm on this machine so
    >> even if kde 4 quit it wouldn't be a crisis. I do think kde 4.1 is a good
    >> start and think it will be first class given alittle time.

    > From what I've read about it, KDE 4.1 still seems to be missing out on a
    > lot of the functionality of KDE 3.5.9, but I've seen the screenshots and
    > read the reviews, and it does indeed sound very promising.
    >
    > I gather 4.1 was actually more of a finishing up of the incomplete work
    > done on 4.0, so I reckon 4.2 - which should be out by the end of this year
    > - would be really great.
    >
    > Well, as far as I'm concerned, even KDE 3.5.x is already great. I do a
    > lot of stuff from the commandline - always have - but I must admit that
    > I'm a KDE fan. ;-)
    >
    > (I've never really used Gnome on a regular basis, but I did at one stage
    > use
    > Enlightenment and IceWM at another stage. Enlightenment was pretty
    > complex, but I didn't like the looks of IceWM.)

    The one thing that I have missed the most is the custom menu that I have
    3.5.9 for right click on the desktop. I t had all my most used apps and its
    hard to get used to not having it there. Don't think I'm going to go back
    to 3.5. This is the direction kde is going and it is very usuable even if
    alittle incomplete. I've used xfce and icewm but seem to always come
    back to kde.

    tnx

    bob

  6. Re: kde4.1 hardware

    On 2008-08-03, bob hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >

    > I will try to be patient. I have kde 3.5.9 and icewm on
    > this machine so even if kde 4 quit it wouldn't be a
    > crisis. I do think kde 4.1 is a good start and think it
    > will be first class given alittle time.

    And in the meantime you can use the free time to find out
    how Knode will wrap lines at some decent point. 65 to 72
    chars would be welcomed.

    > Tnx bob

    Dragomir Kollaric