Exabyte EXB-210 running under Linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Exabyte EXB-210 running under Linux? - Hardware ; Has anyone managed to get an Exabyte EXB-210 tape libary working under Linux? If so, details please. I have one of these that I am trying to get working for use in Bacula, but not having a lot of luck ...

  1. Exabyte EXB-210 running under Linux?

    Has anyone managed to get an Exabyte EXB-210 tape libary working under
    Linux?

    If so, details please.
    I have one of these that I am trying to get working for use in Bacula, but
    not having a lot of luck assessing the worth of the unit with mtx, etc.

    T.I.A.

  2. Re: Exabyte EXB-210 running under Linux?

    terryc wrote:
    > Has anyone managed to get an Exabyte EXB-210 tape libary working under
    > Linux?
    >
    > If so, details please.
    > I have one of these that I am trying to get working for use in Bacula, but
    > not having a lot of luck assessing the worth of the unit with mtx, etc.
    >
    > T.I.A.

    Hello terryc:

    The Mammoth lives to work with *nix systems! You may wish to divulge as
    many details as you are able.

    Better yet, the bacula-users list through sf.net might get you a quick
    answer. If you go there, please render as many details as you're able.

    Remember to use only good quality tape cartridges and invest in cleaning
    cartridges too.

    Best wishes to you.

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  3. Re: Exabyte EXB-210 running under Linux?

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:07:27 -0700, 1PW wrote:

    > The Mammoth lives to work with *nix systems! You may wish to divulge as
    > many details as you are able.

    Unfortunately,it isn't a mammoth.Has dual 8505SQ drives and the exb-210
    changer, 1 perm slot (Cleaning cartridge?) and 10 slot removable tray.

    I say unfortunately as I believe the Mammoth has 8505XL drives that will
    take 116m tapes, which is what I have most of (9 new). Otherwisae, I
    currently only have 3 112m usedtapes of unknown history.

    > Better yet, the bacula-users list through sf.net might get you a quick
    > answer. If you go there, please render as many details as you're able.

    I'm subscribed to that. It isn't on the bacula list of compatible devices,
    but I have found a post from July 2007 that is giving me some parameters
    to work with.

    The current problem is how to make barcodes for the tapes. i sourced a
    make_tape_barcodes perl program off the net and am adapting that to print
    a label on 2x8 address labels to cut out and stick on.

    However, they are not being read by the drive under inventory
    mtx -f /dev/sg8 inventory
    mtx -f /dev/sg8 status <- this sometimes lists VolNo.== then blank.

    So at the moment, based on something I browsed last night, I'm just
    changing the make_tape_barcodes script to put asterixs at the beginning
    and end of the barcode to see if that is what the barcode reader
    requires in these older Exabyte machines. The information came from a
    StorageTek manual.

    I am hopeful that will render it working properly, then I can tackle the
    problem of melding it into Bacual.

    > Remember to use only good quality tape cartridges and invest in cleaning
    > cartridges too.

    Lol, I have five new cleaning tapes. Sort of scrounged them over the
    years. "Oh yer, I'll take an exabyte tape" Micro & DDS> {:-).

    I'm hoping a mate will cough up with his old stock. I just need to
    source a tape eraser and convince him that thats all that is needed to
    safeguard his data.

    The EXB-210 was as a learning tool. I already have a DLT8000 running under
    bacula and just spent $AUS700 for 20 new tapes for the full backup. The
    old DLT tapes have been relegated to part backups. Lol, tore my hair out
    with errors until I twigged some of the tapes were bad. Once
    i twigged to that, things settled down nicely, apart from the quirk of
    "why isn't it recognsing the full backups"

    > Best wishes to you.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread