HAL and USB-Storage devices - Hardware

This is a discussion on HAL and USB-Storage devices - Hardware ; Hi all. I've here a wierd situation: I used to have a simple mount point for USB pens, digital cameras, mp3 players, etc... this mount point was setup on fstab mouting /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/VolumeUSB and i've been using it for ...

  1. HAL and USB-Storage devices

    Hi all.

    I've here a wierd situation:

    I used to have a simple mount point for USB pens, digital cameras, mp3
    players, etc...
    this mount point was setup on fstab mouting /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/VolumeUSB and
    i've been using it for long, it worked fine if i only connect "one" of
    these devices, but not if i connect "two" at once.

    So, recently i've found out that HAL have a perfect solution to handle
    usb-storage devices (as many you want connected at once) without having to
    setup several mount points, using the "storage devices" applet for kde
    panel.

    So, i've removed my fstab entry for /dev/sbd1 (sdaX is a sata internal disk
    i have), activated the panel applet, but things aren't working like they
    sould, but only with devices that wore allready connect at the time i had
    the fstab entry...
    this is what appens:

    I connect a usbpen, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 are created, but no reaction from
    HAL at all, and going to system:/media (on konqueror) the device is not
    there... but it appears an /sys/block/sdb/sdb1.
    however, today i've bought a new usbpen and it is working... i connect the
    new pen, devs are created, an device icon appears on the painel, HAL fires
    a window and all its funtions are working fine, even going to system:/media
    the new pen is there, and it mounts at /media/disk

    this is puzzling me... looks like HAL remembers that those old pens wore
    allready on the system when he was not controling them, and now he is
    ignoring them.

    i need help to understand this:
    --does HAL create the icons on system:/media ? or is it something else that
    works "before" than HAL?
    --if HAL has some king of "ignorelist", where is it?

    almost forgot... i'm running KDE 3.5.9 on Debian Sid

    restarted udev, restarted HAL, rebooted!! can't find anything anusual
    in /etc/hal and i'm still pindown with this situation.

    help appreciated

    Thanks
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: HAL and USB-Storage devices

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:45:26 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > I connect a usbpen, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 are created, but no reaction
    > from HAL at all, and going to system:/media (on konqueror) the device is
    > not there... but it appears an /sys/block/sdb/sdb1. however, today i've
    > bought a new usbpen and it is working... i connect the new pen, devs are
    > created, an device icon appears on the painel, HAL fires a window and
    > all its funtions are working fine, even going to system:/media the new
    > pen is there, and it mounts at /media/disk
    >
    > this is puzzling me... looks like HAL remembers that those old pens wore
    > allready on the system when he was not controling them, and now he is
    > ignoring them.
    >
    > i need help to understand this:
    > --does HAL create the icons on system:/media ? or is it something else
    > that works "before" than HAL?
    > --if HAL has some king of "ignorelist", where is it?

    I'm guessing your problem is related to udev's persistent rules. udev
    passes information to hal via a socket. I had a similar situation with
    PCMIA net cards. In that case, I was able to edit out the pertinent
    lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules For mass-storage
    devices, sorry, I can't be of much help.

    I did find this link that might be off help to you.

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Customizing_UDEV

  3. Re: HAL and USB-Storage devices

    Em Sábado, 2 de Agosto de 2008 18:11, thunder@TAKEOUTgti.net escreveu:

    > I'm guessing your problem is related to udev's persistent rules. udev
    > passes information to hal via a socket. I had a similar situation with
    > PCMIA net cards. In that case, I was able to edit out the pertinent
    > lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules For mass-storage
    > devices, sorry, I can't be of much help.
    >
    > I did find this link that might be off help to you.
    >
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Customizing_UDEV

    Hi

    udev rules wore never discarted, only i can't find any diferences for
    identifying any usb memorys, looks like udev rules just start the detection
    by "sd*" and they are all "sd*"

    i've been envolved with udev sintaxe config files and also with hal xml
    config files (that's right, hal uses some xml config files now , they are
    on /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/...)

    something else has ocorred to me: the system i saw accepting all usb volumes
    trought HAL was Mandriva 2008.1 witch has kernel 2.6.24, and i'm running
    2.6.23...

    pausing for now... i'll try with a newer kernel soon.

    many thanks
    ArameFarpado

+ Reply to Thread