Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get? - Hardware ; My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model: HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my own due to my ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model:
    HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB
    adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my own
    due to my disabilities) to aim directional if needed. However, I was
    unhappy that it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more support
    by the companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in Linux and
    Mac OS X, etc.

    I looked at http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml and
    some sales. Which one is the best one in terms of connecting, stability,
    reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than Windows (Linux and
    Mac OS X if possible)? Here's the list I narrowed down:

    AirLink WL G 54 USB USB Adapter = $7.99 at Fry's.

    Netgear WG111US Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps speed) =
    $39.99 at Circuit City

    Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter = $39.99 at Circuit
    City

    Netgear WL 54G USB 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter = $39.99 at
    Staples

    D Link DWA130 Wireless N USB Adapter = $49.99 at Circuit City

    Belkin F5D8053 Wireless N USB Adapter = $59.99 at Circuit City

    Netgear WL N USB = $69.98 at Staples

    Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter = $69.99 at Circuit
    City

    Netgear WN111100 NAS RangeMax NEXT Wireles N 802.11n USB Adapter =
    $69.99 at Circuit City

    I have Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Staples, and Office Depot near
    by. If I have to pay more for a better quality wireless USB adapter to
    meet my requirements, then I am OK as long as the price is reasonable.

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:35:11 -0500, Ant wrote:
    > Which one is the best one in terms of connecting, stability,
    > reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than Windows (Linux and
    > Mac OS X if possible)?

    USB is actually not the best interface to use for wireless. Look for an
    *ethernet* wireless adapter. You'll avoid driver problems and get better
    performance. For example, ASUS has this:

    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...10&modelmenu=1

    Bob T.

  3. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Jul 29, 5:35*pm, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
    > My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model:
    > HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB
    > adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my own
    > due to my disabilities) to aim directional if needed. However, I was
    > unhappy that it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more support
    > by the companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in Linux and
    > Mac OS X, etc.
    >
    > I looked athttp://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtmland
    > some sales. Which one is the best one in terms of connecting, stability,
    > reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than Windows (Linux and
    > Mac OS X if possible)? Here's the list I narrowed down:
    >
    > AirLink WL G 54 USB USB Adapter = $7.99 at Fry's.
    >
    > Netgear WG111US Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps speed) =
    > $39.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter = $39.99 at Circuit
    > City
    >
    > Netgear WL 54G USB 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter = $39.99 at
    > Staples
    >
    > D Link DWA130 Wireless N USB Adapter = $49.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > Belkin F5D8053 Wireless N USB Adapter = $59.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > Netgear WL N USB = $69.98 at Staples
    >
    > Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter = $69.99 at Circuit
    > City
    >
    > Netgear WN111100 NAS RangeMax NEXT Wireles N 802.11n USB Adapter =
    > $69.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > I have Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Staples, and Office Depot near
    > by. If I have to pay more for a better quality wireless USB adapter to
    > meet my requirements, then I am OK as long as the price is reasonable.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > --
    > "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    > * /\___/\ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    > */ /\ /\ \ * * * * Ant @http://antfarm.home.dhs.org(Personal Web Site)
    > | |o * o| | * * * * *Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
    > * *\ _ / * * * * * * * * * * * *Please removeANT if replying by e-mail.
    > * * ( )

    I have a Belkin F5D8053 and I like it a lot. It seems to have good
    sensitivity and it comes with a stand and cable or it can be plugged
    directly into a USB port. When at work I can place the antenna on its
    pedestal and use it with a reflector made of cardboard and aluminum
    foil to get into the local hot spot.
    I've done this when I was camping also. One place had an internet
    porch but I was able to use my reflector for my lantern with my USB
    stick to connect from my campsite. It seemed the owners of the
    campground was trying to limit the number of people connected to the
    number of people who could sit on the porch.

    Jimmie

  4. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    In alt.internet.wireless jimmie68@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 29, 5:35*pm, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
    > > My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model:
    > > HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB
    > > adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my own
    > > due to my disabilities) to aim directional if needed. However, I was
    > > unhappy that it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more support
    > > by the companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in Linux and
    > > Mac OS X, etc.
    > >
    > > I looked athttp://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtmland
    > > some sales. Which one is the best one in terms of connecting, stability,
    > > reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than Windows (Linux and
    > > Mac OS X if possible)? Here's the list I narrowed down:
    > >
    > > AirLink WL G 54 USB USB Adapter = $7.99 at Fry's.
    > >
    > > Netgear WG111US Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps speed) =
    > > $39.99 at Circuit City
    > >
    > > Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter = $39.99 at Circuit
    > > City
    > >
    > > Netgear WL 54G USB 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter = $39.99 at
    > > Staples
    > >
    > > D Link DWA130 Wireless N USB Adapter = $49.99 at Circuit City
    > >
    > > Belkin F5D8053 Wireless N USB Adapter = $59.99 at Circuit City
    > >
    > > Netgear WL N USB = $69.98 at Staples
    > >
    > > Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter = $69.99 at Circuit
    > > City
    > >
    > > Netgear WN111100 NAS RangeMax NEXT Wireles N 802.11n USB Adapter =
    > > $69.99 at Circuit City
    > >
    > > I have Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Staples, and Office Depot near
    > > by. If I have to pay more for a better quality wireless USB adapter to
    > > meet my requirements, then I am OK as long as the price is reasonable.

    > I have a Belkin F5D8053 and I like it a lot. It seems to have good
    > sensitivity and it comes with a stand and cable or it can be plugged
    > directly into a USB port. When at work I can place the antenna on its
    > pedestal and use it with a reflector made of cardboard and aluminum
    > foil to get into the local hot spot.
    > I've done this when I was camping also. One place had an internet
    > porch but I was able to use my reflector for my lantern with my USB
    > stick to connect from my campsite. It seemed the owners of the
    > campground was trying to limit the number of people connected to the
    > number of people who could sit on the porch.

    Thanks. I see both Best Buy and Cirucit City have them near my place.
    The only problems are the low scored reviews like freezes, hot
    temperature, driver installation, etc. Do you have any of these? These
    remind me of my old one.
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )

  5. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On 29 Jul, 17:54, Bob Tennent wrote:

    > USB is actually not the best interface to use for wireless. Look for an
    > *ethernet* wireless adapter. You'll avoid driver problems and get better
    > performance. For example, ASUS has this:

    I would second that. I have two of these and they work remarkably
    easily.

  6. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Jul 29, 10:37*pm, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
> [...]

    > > porch but I was able to use my reflector for my lantern with my USB
    > > stick to connect from my campsite. It seemed the owners of the
    > > campground was trying to limit the number of people connected to the
    > > number of people who could sit on the porch.

    > Thanks. I see both Best Buy and Cirucit City have them near my place.
    > The only problems are the low scored reviews like freezes, hot
    > temperature, driver installation, etc. Do you have any of these? These
    > remind me of my old one.
    > --
    > "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    > * /\___/\ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    > */ /\ /\ \ * * * * Ant @http://antfarm.home.dhs.org(Personal Web Site)
    > | |o * o| | * * * * *Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
    > * *\ _ / * * * * * * * * * * * *Please removeANT if replying by e-mail.

    I have heard some bad opinions of the Belkin USB devices but I cant
    say that mine has had any of the problems. YMMV

    Jimmie

  7. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Thanks.
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )

  8. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    > > USB is actually not the best interface to use for wireless. Look for an
    > > *ethernet* wireless adapter. You'll avoid driver problems and get better
    > > performance. For example, ASUS has this:

    > I would second that. I have two of these and they work remarkably
    > easily.

    The reason for USB is because I can use between multiple computers. It's
    harder for desktops especially when I have multiple physical
    disabilities (can't even use a screw driver, open/close cases, pull
    cards, etc.). I can do plug and unplug with cables.
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )

  9. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:08:37 -0500, Ant wrote:
    >> > USB is actually not the best interface to use for wireless. Look for an
    >> > *ethernet* wireless adapter. You'll avoid driver problems and get better
    >> > performance. For example, ASUS has this:

    >> I would second that. I have two of these and they work remarkably
    >> easily.

    > The reason for USB is because I can use between multiple computers. It's
    > harder for desktops especially when I have multiple physical
    > disabilities (can't even use a screw driver, open/close cases, pull
    > cards, etc.). I can do plug and unplug with cables.

    An ethernet adapter plugs into an ethernet port. Most computers have
    integrated ethernet devices.

    Bob T.

  10. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On 7/30/2008 7:14 PM PT, Bob Tennent typed:

    > >> I would second that. I have two of these and they work remarkably
    > >> easily.

    > > The reason for USB is because I can use between multiple computers. It's
    > > harder for desktops especially when I have multiple physical
    > > disabilities (can't even use a screw driver, open/close cases, pull
    > > cards, etc.). I can do plug and unplug with cables.

    > An ethernet adapter plugs into an ethernet port. Most computers have
    > integrated ethernet devices.

    Wait, wireless device connected to an onboard NIC? I haven't not seen or
    heard of this one. Any examples and which ones are the best out of
    http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml ? I thought you
    were referring to PCI wireless NICs.
    --
    "When an ant gets wings, it loses its head." --Bosnian Proverb
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  11. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Ant wrote:
    > My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model:
    > HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB
    > adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my own
    > due to my disabilities) to aim directional if needed. However, I was
    > unhappy that it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more
    > support by the companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in
    > Linux and Mac OS X, etc.
    >
    > I looked at http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml and
    > some sales. Which one is the best one in terms of connecting,
    > stability, reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than
    > Windows (Linux and Mac OS X if possible)? Here's the list I narrowed
    > down:
    >
    > AirLink WL G 54 USB USB Adapter = $7.99 at Fry's.
    >
    > Netgear WG111US Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps speed) =
    > $39.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter = $39.99 at
    > Circuit City
    >
    > Netgear WL 54G USB 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter = $39.99 at
    > Staples
    >
    > D Link DWA130 Wireless N USB Adapter = $49.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > Belkin F5D8053 Wireless N USB Adapter = $59.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > Netgear WL N USB = $69.98 at Staples
    >
    > Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter = $69.99 at Circuit
    > City
    >
    > Netgear WN111100 NAS RangeMax NEXT Wireles N 802.11n USB Adapter =
    > $69.99 at Circuit City
    >
    > I have Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Staples, and Office Depot near
    > by. If I have to pay more for a better quality wireless USB adapter to
    > meet my requirements, then I am OK as long as the price is reasonable.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >>> o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):
    >>> http://aqfl.net

    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by
    > e-mail. ( )

    Just out of curiosity, if you like the previous hawking product,why did you
    look at everything *BUT* the replacement/newer version (supports N now too),
    which I got when my old one got stepped on and I had to get a new
    one....bought it online and had it shipped to my door.... ps they are at
    www.hawkingtech.com and the newer one is

    is way better than the older one....

  12. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On 7/31/2008 12:35 AM PT, Peter Pan typed:

    > Ant wrote:
    >> My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model:
    >> HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB
    >> adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my own
    >> due to my disabilities) to aim directional if needed. However, I was
    >> unhappy that it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more
    >> support by the companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in
    >> Linux and Mac OS X, etc.
    >>
    >> I looked at http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml and
    >> some sales. Which one is the best one in terms of connecting,
    >> stability, reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than
    >> Windows (Linux and Mac OS X if possible)? Here's the list I narrowed
    >> down:
    >>
    >> AirLink WL G 54 USB USB Adapter = $7.99 at Fry's.
    >>
    >> Netgear WG111US Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps speed) =
    >> $39.99 at Circuit City
    >>
    >> Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter = $39.99 at
    >> Circuit City
    >>
    >> Netgear WL 54G USB 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter = $39.99 at
    >> Staples
    >>
    >> D Link DWA130 Wireless N USB Adapter = $49.99 at Circuit City
    >>
    >> Belkin F5D8053 Wireless N USB Adapter = $59.99 at Circuit City
    >>
    >> Netgear WL N USB = $69.98 at Staples
    >>
    >> Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter = $69.99 at Circuit
    >> City
    >>
    >> Netgear WN111100 NAS RangeMax NEXT Wireles N 802.11n USB Adapter =
    >> $69.99 at Circuit City
    >>
    >> I have Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Staples, and Office Depot near
    >> by. If I have to pay more for a better quality wireless USB adapter to
    >> meet my requirements, then I am OK as long as the price is reasonable.

    > Just out of curiosity, if you like the previous hawking product,why did you
    > look at everything *BUT* the replacement/newer version (supports N now too),
    > which I got when my old one got stepped on and I had to get a new
    > one....bought it online and had it shipped to my door.... ps they are at
    > www.hawkingtech.com and the newer one is
    >
    > is way better than the older one....

    Did you see the reasons I posted earlier? "However, I was unhappy that
    it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more support by the
    companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in Linux and
    Mac OS X, etc." Did the newer model fix all of these?
    --
    "I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet
    that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  13. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Ant wrote:
    > On 7/31/2008 12:35 AM PT, Peter Pan typed:
    >
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>> My old Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model:
    >>> HWU54D; original version) broke and I need to get a new wireless USB
    >>> adapter. I liked its small dish thing (not a handy man to make my
    >>> own due to my disabilities) to aim directional if needed. However,
    >>> I was unhappy that it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no
    >>> more support by the companies, no recent driver updates, can't use
    >>> it in Linux and Mac OS X, etc.
    >>>
    >>> I looked at http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml
    >>> and some sales. Which one is the best one in terms of connecting,
    >>> stability, reaching far away APs, good support, can do more than
    >>> Windows (Linux and Mac OS X if possible)? Here's the list I narrowed
    >>> down:
    >>>
    >>> AirLink WL G 54 USB USB Adapter = $7.99 at Fry's.
    >>>
    >>> Netgear WG111US Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 Adapter (54 Mbps speed) =
    >>> $39.99 at Circuit City
    >>>
    >>> Linksys WUSB54GC Wireless G 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter = $39.99 at
    >>> Circuit City
    >>>
    >>> Netgear WL 54G USB 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless USB Adapter = $39.99 at
    >>> Staples
    >>>
    >>> D Link DWA130 Wireless N USB Adapter = $49.99 at Circuit City
    >>>
    >>> Belkin F5D8053 Wireless N USB Adapter = $59.99 at Circuit City
    >>>
    >>> Netgear WL N USB = $69.98 at Staples
    >>>
    >>> Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter = $69.99 at
    >>> Circuit City
    >>>
    >>> Netgear WN111100 NAS RangeMax NEXT Wireles N 802.11n USB Adapter =
    >>> $69.99 at Circuit City
    >>>
    >>> I have Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Staples, and Office Depot
    >>> near by. If I have to pay more for a better quality wireless USB
    >>> adapter to meet my requirements, then I am OK as long as the price
    >>> is reasonable.

    >> Just out of curiosity, if you like the previous hawking product,why
    >> did you look at everything *BUT* the replacement/newer version
    >> (supports N now too), which I got when my old one got stepped on and
    >> I had to get a new one....bought it online and had it shipped to my
    >> door.... ps they are at www.hawkingtech.com and the newer one is
    >>
    >> is way better than the older one....

    > Did you see the reasons I posted earlier? "However, I was unhappy that
    > it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more support by the
    > companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in Linux and
    > Mac OS X, etc." Did the newer model fix all of these?

    Appears to, ie different chipset/manufacturer, new, dual antenna, and
    supports N now.... you know what you want/need fraid I don't, just know what
    I need/use (I travel in my RV/great for aiming out the window at the office
    for wifi) , have you looked? (link left in the text above, for technical
    specs)... Just curious if you even considered it instead of the ones you
    listed above, you seemed to look at anything else and not consider something
    that is no longer because of from some problems with an old no longer made
    model.... At any rate, not pushng it, I don't sell em, just a suggestion,
    thought I'd offer it....

  14. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On 7/31/2008 8:28 AM PT, Peter Pan typed:

    > Ant wrote:

    >>> Just out of curiosity, if you like the previous hawking product,why
    >>> did you look at everything *BUT* the replacement/newer version
    >>> (supports N now too), which I got when my old one got stepped on and
    >>> I had to get a new one....bought it online and had it shipped to my
    >>> door.... ps they are at www.hawkingtech.com and the newer one is
    >>>
    >>> is way better than the older one....

    >> Did you see the reasons I posted earlier? "However, I was unhappy that
    >> it got hot, Envara got bought out by Intel, no more support by the
    >> companies, no recent driver updates, can't use it in Linux and
    >> Mac OS X, etc." Did the newer model fix all of these?

    > Appears to, ie different chipset/manufacturer, new, dual antenna, and
    > supports N now.... you know what you want/need fraid I don't, just know what
    > I need/use (I travel in my RV/great for aiming out the window at the office
    > for wifi) , have you looked? (link left in the text above, for technical
    > specs)... Just curious if you even considered it instead of the ones you
    > listed above, you seemed to look at anything else and not consider something
    > that is no longer because of from some problems with an old no longer made
    > model.... At any rate, not pushng it, I don't sell em, just a suggestion,
    > thought I'd offer it....

    Based on the specifications, it doesn't support other OS' beside
    Windows.

    Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.
    --
    "What, like I had to live with all those ants? Do you know what I did to
    those ants? HoooHooo! No more ants!" --unknown
    / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  15. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Ant wrote:

    > On 7/31/2008 8:28 AM PT, Peter Pan typed:
    >
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 7/31/2008 12:35 AM PT, Peter Pan typed:

    > Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    > and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.

    Last year I purchased some Engenius high power USB adapters on eBay which
    have removable diversity antennas, with the intention on extending the
    length of the coax, but instead I had good luck extending the USB cable
    to twenty-five feet and mounting the adapter itself at a high point.
    This approach has worked well at a neighbor's site for more than a year.

    Michael

  16. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    > > Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    > > and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.

    > Last year I purchased some Engenius high power USB adapters on eBay which
    > have removable diversity antennas, with the intention on extending the
    > length of the coax, but instead I had good luck extending the USB cable
    > to twenty-five feet and mounting the adapter itself at a high point.
    > This approach has worked well at a neighbor's site for more than a year.

    Michael, is this the one --
    http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EUB36.../dp/B000CSQVJ4
    ? If so, then where can one get other antennas to change to?
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )

  17. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Jul 31, 3:29*pm, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

    > > > Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    > > > and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.

    > > Last year I purchased some Engenius high power USB adapters on eBay which
    > > have removable diversity antennas, with the intention on extending the
    > > length of the coax, but instead I had good luck extending the USB cable
    > > to twenty-five feet and mounting the adapter itself at a high point.
    > > This approach has worked well at a neighbor's site for more than a year..

    > Michael, is this the one -- *http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EUB36...-11b/dp/B000CS...
    > ? If so, then where can one get other antennas to change to?
    > --
    > "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    > * /\___/\ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    > */ /\ /\ \ * * * * Ant @http://antfarm.home.dhs.org(Personal Web Site)
    > | |o * o| | * * * * *Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
    > * *\ _ / * * * * * * * * * * * *Please removeANT if replying by e-mail.
    > * * ( )

    I have been using a linksys wrt54gs router configured in the client
    mode for the last few weeks to replace a wireless adapter. These are
    connected to your computer via LAN connection and does nt care what
    operating system you are using. You have to use it with third party
    software to get the client mode as the origonal Linksys software
    doesnt support CLIENT mode. You can add high gain antennas or locate
    the router hundreds of feet away from your computer.
    Upgradding to the free DD-WRT software is as simple as a Linksys
    firmware upgrade.

    I suggest further reading at the DD-WRT web page. This is truly the
    best adapter I have ever used.

    BTW: Termidor takes care of both termites and ants.

    Jimmie

  18. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    jimmie68@gmail.com writes:
    (snip)
    > I have been using a linksys wrt54gs router configured in the client
    > mode for the last few weeks to replace a wireless adapter. These are
    > connected to your computer via LAN connection and does nt care what
    > operating system you are using. You have to use it with third party
    > software to get the client mode as the origonal Linksys software
    > doesnt support CLIENT mode. You can add high gain antennas or locate
    > the router hundreds of feet away from your computer.
    > Upgradding to the free DD-WRT software is as simple as a Linksys
    > firmware upgrade.

    FWIW I use TRENDnet TEW-450APB units - the firmware supports client mode
    out of the box.

    Mark

  19. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Ant wrote:

    > Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    > and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.

    Has a 3 footer on it, I use two 12 ft extensions to go to the RV window (so
    it can be up to 27 ft away), have no clue what the theoretcal max is, but
    the RV is sort of small, and that was long enough, worked good for running
    out the window and up to the roof too(12 feet above the ground, good
    reception!)

  20. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Jul 31, 5:26*pm, "Mark T.B. Carroll"
    wrote:
    > jimmi...@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > > I have been using a linksys wrt54gs router configured in the client
    > > mode for the last few weeks to replace a wireless adapter. These are
    > > connected to your computer via LAN connection and does nt care what
    > > operating system you are using. You have to use it with third party
    > > software to get the client mode as the origonal Linksys software
    > > doesnt support CLIENT mode. You can add high gain antennas or locate
    > > the router hundreds of feet away from your computer.
    > > Upgradding to the free DD-WRT software is as simple as a Linksys
    > > firmware upgrade.

    > FWIW I use TRENDnet TEW-450APB units - the firmware supports client mode
    > out of the box.
    >
    > Mark

    Hi Mark,
    I started to buy one of these because it supported CLIENT MODE out of
    the box but some of the reviews I read turned me off on it. I
    understand YMMV but almost all the reviews on the Linksys router/DD-
    WRT software combo was positive.Thats when I started to explore the
    WRT54 idea since I already had 2 of them. These work great and I was
    lucky enough to buy a couple more at Goodwill for a little over $3 a
    piece. Everything at home is now on one of these routers

    One of the features I especially like about the WRT54s is that you can
    readily connect an after market antenna to them. Can you do this with
    the TEW-450APB ? I have built a couple of simple replacement antenas
    and found that some very simple gain antennas can have a very high
    impact on the router's performance. Also much info and help to set it
    up was available here and on the DD-WRT forum.

    Jimmie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast