Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get? - Hardware ; In comp.os.linux.hardware jimmie68@gmail.com wrote: > On Jul 31, 3:29*pm, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > > > > > > > Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable > > > > and I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    > > > Last year I purchased some Engenius high power USB adapters on eBay which
    > > > have removable diversity antennas, with the intention on extending the
    > > > length of the coax, but instead I had good luck extending the USB cable
    > > > to twenty-five feet and mounting the adapter itself at a high point.
    > > > This approach has worked well at a neighbor's site for more than a year.

    > > Michael, is this the one -- *http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EUB36...-11b/dp/B000CS...
    > > ? If so, then where can one get other antennas to change to?

    > I have been using a linksys wrt54gs router configured in the client
    > mode for the last few weeks to replace a wireless adapter. These are
    > connected to your computer via LAN connection and does nt care what
    > operating system you are using. You have to use it with third party
    > software to get the client mode as the origonal Linksys software
    > doesnt support CLIENT mode. You can add high gain antennas or locate
    > the router hundreds of feet away from your computer.
    > Upgradding to the free DD-WRT software is as simple as a Linksys
    > firmware upgrade.

    > I suggest further reading at the DD-WRT web page. This is truly the
    > best adapter I have ever used.

    Interesting. The router is not so small to be portable and easily switch
    between computers (including laptops/notebooks).
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    ( )

  2. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    > > Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    > > and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.

    > Has a 3 footer on it, I use two 12 ft extensions to go to the RV window (so
    > it can be up to 27 ft away), have no clue what the theoretcal max is, but
    > the RV is sort of small, and that was long enough, worked good for running
    > out the window and up to the roof too(12 feet above the ground, good
    > reception!)

    And I assume it gets power from USB port, and not its own power cable. I
    was told that using extended USB cable can result lack of power to the
    device.
    --
    "PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
    ( )

  3. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    jimmie68@gmail.com writes:

    > On Jul 31, 5:26*pm, "Mark T.B. Carroll"
    > wrote:

    (snip)
    >> FWIW I use TRENDnet TEW-450APB units - the firmware supports client mode
    >> out of the box.

    (snip)
    > I started to buy one of these because it supported CLIENT MODE out of
    > the box but some of the reviews I read turned me off on it.

    They've worked well for me but, indeed, YMMV. I did see one XP user who
    couldn't associate with one (though other XP users could); I don't know
    what the problem was. And I have maybe a couple of times power-cycled
    one because it lost the connection, but that hasn't happened often
    enough for me to build up any kind of pattern of failure.

    > I understand YMMV but almost all the reviews on the Linksys router/DD-
    > WRT software combo was positive.

    Yeah, it's hard to go wrong with that. I used to use OpenWRT for a
    wireless bridge and that was good if a little atrociously documented.

    > These work great and I was lucky enough to buy a couple more at
    > Goodwill for a little over $3 a piece.

    Wow, that's lucky! (-:

    > One of the features I especially like about the WRT54s is that you can
    > readily connect an after market antenna to them. Can you do this with
    > the TEW-450APB ? I have built a couple of simple replacement antenas
    > and found that some very simple gain antennas can have a very high
    > impact on the router's performance. Also much info and help to set it
    > up was available here and on the DD-WRT forum.

    The antenna certainly unscrews, but I'm afraid I don't know if the
    connector is a common one that would easily fit other antennas. I
    suppose it'd be cheaper for the manufacturer to buy standard connectors
    though.

    Mark

  4. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:26:44 -0700, Ant wrote:
    > On 7/30/2008 7:14 PM PT, Bob Tennent typed:

    >> > The reason for USB is because I can use between multiple computers. It's
    >> > harder for desktops especially when I have multiple physical
    >> > disabilities (can't even use a screw driver, open/close cases, pull
    >> > cards, etc.). I can do plug and unplug with cables.

    >> An ethernet adapter plugs into an ethernet port. Most computers have
    >> integrated ethernet devices.

    > Wait, wireless device connected to an onboard NIC? I haven't not seen or
    > heard of this one. Any examples and which ones are the best out of
    > http://www.salescircular.com/ca/computer/wrlsnp.shtml ?

    I don't see any on that list. But Google for "Asus WL-330gE" and you'll
    find on-line sources; and if you look at the product lists of other
    manufacturers (Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, ... ), I'm sure you'll find
    comparable products.

    I've just Googled for "ethernet wireless adapter" and here are what seem
    to be the right sort of gadgets:

    Linksys WET54G Ethernet - Wireless Adapter
    D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet to Wireless Bridge Adapter
    Belkin 802.11g Wireless Ethernet Adapter

    Bob T.

  5. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Ant wrote:

    >>>Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short cable
    >>>and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better signals.

    >>Last year I purchased some Engenius high power USB adapters on eBay which
    >>have removable diversity antennas, with the intention on extending the
    >>length of the coax, but instead I had good luck extending the USB cable
    >>to twenty-five feet and mounting the adapter itself at a high point.
    >>This approach has worked well at a neighbor's site for more than a year.

    > Michael, is this the one --
    > http://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-EUB36.../dp/B000CSQVJ4
    > ? If so, then where can one get other antennas to change to?

    It was a dual- antenna (diversity) 802.11b high power adapter
    (250mw advertised) and I have misplaced the docs and can't get
    at the adapter at the neighbors at the moment. There are lots
    of aftermarket antennas to try, but I had intended just to use
    the stock antennas on longer lengths of coax, but decided to
    lengthen the USB cable instead, with good results.

    Michael

  6. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    Ant wrote:
    >>> Just curious. How long is its USB cable? The old one had a short
    >>> cable and I couldn't place it far and higher up to get better
    >>> signals.

    >> Has a 3 footer on it, I use two 12 ft extensions to go to the RV
    >> window (so it can be up to 27 ft away), have no clue what the
    >> theoretcal max is, but the RV is sort of small, and that was long
    >> enough, worked good for running out the window and up to the roof
    >> too(12 feet above the ground, good reception!)

    > And I assume it gets power from USB port, and not its own power
    > cable. I was told that using extended USB cable can result lack of
    > power to the device.
    >>> o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):
    >>> http://aqfl.net

    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by
    > e-mail. ( )

    Yes, it gets the power from the USB port, and usually no problem powering
    it, however I did get one thing (a light that plugs into the usb port to
    shine on the keyboard so I can work in the dark, thst specific device seems
    to eat more powe thsn the port can supply.. if i don'y use it, it works
    fine, whem i do, it doesn't.. solution - leave it unplugged and turn the
    lights on)

  7. Re: Need to buy a new wireless USB adapter, but which one to get?

    In article <87d4ktd417.fsf@ixod.org>,
    "Mark T.B. Carroll" wrote:

    > The antenna certainly unscrews, but I'm afraid I don't know if the
    > connector is a common one that would easily fit other antennas. I
    > suppose it'd be cheaper for the manufacturer to buy standard connectors
    > though.
    >
    > Mark

    OEM's are prevented, by FCC Rules in the US, from using "Commonly
    Available" RF Connectors on any Part 15 (802.11x) Devices. This
    is to keep folks from unknowingly violating the Part 15 Rules on
    Transmitted Power Density. Most ALL of the Wireless Access Points,
    Routers, etc, that have External Antenna Connectors will be using
    Reverse Polarity SMA, or Reverse Thread SMA Connectors, to be in
    compliance with Part 15.

    --
    Bruce in alaska
    add after to reply