Matrox Millennium II G200 does not work with Dell UltraSharp LCD - Hardware

This is a discussion on Matrox Millennium II G200 does not work with Dell UltraSharp LCD - Hardware ; I have an older PII workstation running Fedora Core. The video card is Matrox Millennium II G200. When I tried to replace the Sony Trinitron CRT with Dell UltraSharp LCD, it complained about resolution and did not work at all, ...

  1. Matrox Millennium II G200 does not work with Dell UltraSharp LCD

    I have an older PII workstation running Fedora Core. The video card
    is
    Matrox Millennium II G200.

    When I tried to replace the Sony Trinitron CRT with Dell UltraSharp
    LCD, it complained about resolution and did not work at all, the
    screen was blank.

    The card should support the native resolution of 1280x1024 that Dell
    UltraSharp 1908FP runs on, so what's the problem?

  2. Re: Matrox Millennium II G200 does not work with Dell UltraSharp LCD

    SQ wrote:
    > When I tried to replace the Sony Trinitron CRT with Dell UltraSharp
    > LCD, it complained about resolution and did not work at all, the
    > screen was blank.
    >
    > The card should support the native resolution of 1280x1024 that Dell
    > UltraSharp 1908FP runs on, so what's the problem?

    The problem is probably that the refresh rate is too high. CRT screens
    typically run 1280x1024 at 75, 85 or maybe even 100 Hz. A TFT monitor is
    usually limited to 1280x1024 at 60 Hz.

    At most times the monitor is able to tell the graphicscard which
    resolution and refresh rates it can use with the EDID signals in the VGA
    cable. However, if this doesn't work you might have to manually edit the
    monitor section of your xorg.conf to enter the right vertical and
    horizontal refresh rates.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Matrox Millennium II G200 does not work with Dell UltraSharp LCD

    On 2008-07-28, Henrik Carlqvist hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > SQ wrote:
    >> When I tried to replace the Sony Trinitron CRT with Dell
    >> UltraSharp LCD, it complained about resolution and did
    >> not work at all, the screen was blank.
    >>
    >> The card should support the native resolution of
    >> 1280x1024 that Dell UltraSharp 1908FP runs on, so what's
    >> the problem?

    > The problem is probably that the refresh rate is too high.
    > CRT screens typically run 1280x1024 at 75, 85 or maybe
    > even 100 Hz. A TFT monitor is usually limited to 1280x1024
    > at 60 Hz.
    >
    > At most times the monitor is able to tell the graphicscard
    > which resolution and refresh rates it can use with
    > the EDID signals in the VGA cable. However, if this
    > doesn't work you might have to manually edit the monitor
    > section of your xorg.conf to enter the right vertical and
    > horizontal refresh rates.

    Just like to add that sometimes putting in a Live-CD and
    then start a linux-os might help. If the Monitor works one
    can either copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to HDD or copy
    it down to paper.

    The OP didn't say which OS he is using, so renaming
    xorg.conf and generating a new file using the tools the
    OS supplies could be another option. I'm using Ubuntu
    Studio 8.04.1 and when I run a kernel-update, every time
    the nvidia-card is misbehaving, so removing xorg.conf and
    installing the driver helps here.

    > regards Henrik

    Dragomir Kollaric