Nokia phone via USB ??? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Nokia phone via USB ??? - Hardware ; I have a USB cable for my Nokia phone. When I plug in the phone and connect the USB cable to my Mandriva 2008.0 laptop, then I get a USB icon on the phone, indicating that it's found something. I ...

  1. Nokia phone via USB ???

    I have a USB cable for my Nokia phone. When I plug in the phone and
    connect the USB cable to my Mandriva 2008.0 laptop, then I get a USB
    icon on the phone, indicating that it's found something. I don't get
    anything viewable from Linux. lsusb reports this:

    Unknown line at line 2389
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0421:04b5 Nokia Mobile Phones
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    That seems like good news.

    A friend of mine with a very similar Nokia phone can attach his to a
    Windows machine and see the phone as a USB mass storage device. I'd
    like to do that on my Linux machines. Where do I go from here? What
    should I do next?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: Nokia phone via USB ???

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > I have a USB cable for my Nokia phone. When I plug in the phone and
    > connect the USB cable to my Mandriva 2008.0 laptop, then I get a USB
    > icon on the phone, indicating that it's found something. I don't get
    > anything viewable from Linux. lsusb reports this:
    >
    > Unknown line at line 2389 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Bus 001
    > Device 003: ID 0421:04b5 Nokia Mobile Phones Bus 001 Device 001: ID
    > 0000:0000
    >
    > That seems like good news.
    >
    > A friend of mine with a very similar Nokia phone can attach his to a
    > Windows machine and see the phone as a USB mass storage device. I'd
    > like to do that on my Linux machines. Where do I go from here? What
    > should I do next?
    >
    > Thanks....

    I don't know about Mandriva however in Debian and Ubuntu this kind of
    dialling is taken care of trivially with the package wvdial. You may
    have that package as well. Try googling from wvdial.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  3. Re: Nokia phone via USB ???

    Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    > I don't know about Mandriva however in Debian and Ubuntu this kind of
    > dialling is taken care of trivially with the package wvdial. You may
    > have that package as well. Try googling from wvdial.

    Oh, I see that I wasn't very clear. Sorry about that. I'm not trying
    to get Linux to dial my phone. I want to access the USB mass storage
    in my phone so that I can copy the photos I have in my phone onto my
    Linux hard drive. My Windows using friend does that via USB.

    Any more ideas?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  4. Re: Nokia phone via USB ???

    On Tuesday 29 July 2008 02:01, someone identifying as *Kevin the Drummer*
    wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:
    >> I don't know about Mandriva however in Debian and Ubuntu this kind of
    >> dialling is taken care of trivially with the package wvdial. You may
    >> have that package as well. Try googling from wvdial.

    > Oh, I see that I wasn't very clear. Sorry about that. I'm not trying
    > to get Linux to dial my phone. I want to access the USB mass storage
    > in my phone so that I can copy the photos I have in my phone onto my
    > Linux hard drive. My Windows using friend does that via USB.
    >
    > Any more ideas?

    Take a look here... ;-)

    http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux_nokia_other.html
    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Nokia phone via USB ???

    nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) writes:

    > A friend of mine with a very similar Nokia phone can attach his to a
    > Windows machine and see the phone as a USB mass storage device. I'd
    > like to do that on my Linux machines. Where do I go from here? What
    > should I do next?

    Similar is not necessaryly the same.

    Some Nokia phones can act as USB mass starage devices, other just act as USB
    modems.

    What model do you have?

    On my N95, if I go into menu | tools | settings | connection | USB, I can set
    the USB mode to allow it to be used as a modem or Mass storage device.

    HTH Phil
    --
    Old protocols never die. They just get migrated over TCP/IP.

  6. Re: Nokia phone via USB ???

    Phil wrote:
    > Similar is not necessaryly the same.
    > Some Nokia phones can act as USB mass starage devices, other just act as USB
    > modems.

    Interesting.

    > What model do you have?

    Nokia 5165.

    > On my N95, if I go into menu | tools | settings | connection | USB, I can set
    > the USB mode to allow it to be used as a modem or Mass storage device.

    I see a menu there for USB connectivity. But, I'm away from my cable,
    and the menu won't operate unless USB is connected. I'll have a look
    when I can get to the cable.

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  7. Re: Nokia phone via USB ???

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:52:05 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > > icon on the phone, indicating that it's found something. I don't get
    > > anything viewable from Linux. lsusb reports this:
    > > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0421:04b5 Nokia Mobile Phones

    > That's because haldaemon doesn't have this device id in it's list of
    > usb storage devices.
    >
    > In /etc/hal/fdi/policy create a file called my.fdi, and put the
    > following lines in it ...
    >

    > memory_stick

    The indentation of doesn't match its partner.
    Is this important to remain this way? I copied it as is.

    > Make sure the above ends with a new line (i.e. in the editor you use, ensure
    > the cursor is on the line after the line).

    Did that.

    > If that doesn't work (after restarting haldaemon)

    Did that.

    > check the output of
    > lshal|grep -i "storage\.model"
    > to see what hal is seeing as the model name.

    I get the following:

    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = 'CRD-254V' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = 'USB SD Reader' (string)
    storage.model = 'USB CF Reader' (string)
    storage.model = 'USB SM Reader' (string)
    storage.model = 'USB MS Reader' (string)
    storage.model = 'ST3200822A' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = 'ST380011A' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = 'ST3320620A' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)
    storage.model = 'LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1213S' (string)
    storage.model = '' (string)

    I recognize my hard drives and my DVD burner. The "USB * Reader"
    appears to be my camera card reader hooked up to my PCI USB card.
    I'm not sure what "CRD-254V" would be.

    Phil wrote:
    > Some Nokia phones can act as USB mass starage devices, other
    > just act as USB modems.

    When my cable is connected the phone says it can operate in Nokia
    mode, MP3 mode, or storage mode. I think I want data storage
    mode. But, the phone tells me I need to install a memory card
    to access that function. Nokia mode doesn't do anything useful.
    MP3 mode gets my Nokia phone to show up on the desktop as a
    camera with one empty PTP/IP camera folder in it.

    It looks like I'm a lot closer, but I still don't know how to
    access the phone as mass storage. The phone has a couple photos
    in it which I'd like to drag out of it.

    > What model do you have?

    5165.

    > On my N95, if I go into menu | tools | settings | connection |
    > USB, I can set the USB mode to allow it to be used as a modem
    > or Mass storage device.

    With USB connected I get the menus I mentioned above. MP3 has
    some sub menus related to the connection. I've tried all of those
    submenus, and the one that works best is "USB cable".

    Any more advice folks? Thanks.....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.