swap partition - Hardware

This is a discussion on swap partition - Hardware ; Hi, Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot system ?...

  1. swap partition

    Hi,

    Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    system ?

  2. Re: swap partition

    In comp.os.linux.hardware, aarklon@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    > windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    > system ?

    Yes, it is possible

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: swap partition

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:27:14 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    >In comp.os.linux.hardware, aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    >> windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    >> system ?

    >Yes, it is possible
    >
    >http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html

    Yeah, but these days, why bother? RAM is cheap, disk is cheap, and dual
    booting going out of fashion in favour of vmware and friends.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  4. Re: swap partition

    Yes! But why? with cheap TB drives it is easier just to use two partitions.

    A better swapper partition version is to add extra RAM and use the RAM as
    swapper files. Then using UPS shutdown software, copy the RAM swapper
    to a disk partition or file if and when needed.

    In , aarklon@gmail.com writes:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    >windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    >system ?

  5. Re: swap partition

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:27:14 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.hardware, aarklon@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to create swap partition that can be used by both
    >> windows and Linux O.S es,independent of file systems, in a dual boot
    >> system ?

    > Yes, it is possible
    >
    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Swap-Space.html

    OK, but, technically the answer is "no" because the OP carefully
    qualified the question with "independent of file systems" whereas the
    HOWTO is apparently dependent on FAT16, one of the worst, if not the
    worst, performing of all file systems still in use today.

    The Lowest Common Denominator solution may be "a possible" solution, but
    I think it is worthy to mention that it is probably far from the best
    solution, as others already pointed out.

    (Personally, I build all my personal systems with at least 2 HDD's and
    put my Linux swap on a software RAID0 for best (that I know of), not
    worst, performance.)

+ Reply to Thread