Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200 - Hardware

This is a discussion on Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200 - Hardware ; Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200 I will be doing a system build using a mobo with integrated graphics. I am a Windows user, but also plan to dual boot and play with Linux as well. Wondering which of the above ...

  1. Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200

    Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200

    I will be doing a system build using a mobo with integrated graphics.
    I am a Windows user, but also plan to dual boot and play with Linux as
    well.

    Wondering which of the above 2 IG solutions would be more Linux
    friendly, meaning which would be the easiest to get up and running,
    and to get the 3D eye candy going?

  2. Re: Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200

    On Wednesday 23 July 2008 07:39, someone identifying as *ArKane* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > Radeon HD3200 vs Geforce 8200
    >
    > I will be doing a system build using a mobo with integrated graphics.
    > I am a Windows user, but also plan to dual boot and play with Linux as
    > well.
    >
    > Wondering which of the above 2 IG solutions would be more Linux
    > friendly, meaning which would be the easiest to get up and running,
    > and to get the 3D eye candy going?

    Definitely the nVidia. At this stage, the ATi drivers still suck bigtime,
    while nVidia's drivers are of much higher quality and easier to set up and
    install.

    Future AMD/ATi cards may come with FOSS drivers, but at this stage this is
    still not possible due to some proprietary legacy code.

    The proprietary drivers are the ones you need for 3D acceleration. The FOSS
    drivers in X.Org (for both types of adapters) might work well for 2D, but
    they do not support 3D functionality for obvious reasons.

    Hope this was useful... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)