2D PCIe graphics card with (ubuntu) open source driver. - Hardware

This is a discussion on 2D PCIe graphics card with (ubuntu) open source driver. - Hardware ; Can anybody suggest a PCIe (PCIEX16) graphics card which has an open source driver (for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron). Since I use my computer for program development I am NOT interested in 3D features like 3D acceleration. The reason why ...

  1. 2D PCIe graphics card with (ubuntu) open source driver.

    Can anybody suggest a PCIe (PCIEX16) graphics card which
    has an open source driver (for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron).
    Since I use my computer for program development I am
    NOT interested in 3D features like 3D acceleration.

    The reason why I want to buy a graphics card is:
    After an update, which required a reboot, my Ubuntu 8.04
    Hardy Heron (the one with the "long time support") offers a
    maximum resolution of 640x320. This happens with the
    proprietary closed source driver from NVIDIA. The open
    source vesa driver is capable to support 800x600.

    Maybe the update which caused this was the replacement
    of the package nvidia-glx by nvidiy-glx-new. The hardware
    driver program (in the system pulldown menue) just offers
    a graphics drivers for the newest cards (which probably
    means nvidis-glx-new). This means that I am not able to
    specify that the old driver should be used.

    BTW: The onboard graphic on my mainboard is a NVIDIA
    GeForce 6150 GPU with a NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP chipset.
    After several dozends of reboots, downloading different
    packages using of EnvyNG and following different suggestions
    I do not want to deal with proprietary drivers any more.

    Please help me. Working with 800x600 is suboptimal.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

  2. Re: 2D PCIe graphics card with (ubuntu) open source driver.

    thomas.mertes@gmx.at wrote:
    > Can anybody suggest a PCIe (PCIEX16) graphics card which has an open
    > source driver (for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron). Since I use my computer for
    > program development I am NOT interested in 3D features like 3D
    > acceleration.

    > BTW: The onboard graphic on my mainboard is a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 GPU
    > with a NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP chipset.

    As you don't care about hardware accelerated 3D the open source nv driver
    will probably work fine with your current nVidia card.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread