can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoing ethernet port - Hardware

This is a discussion on can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoing ethernet port - Hardware ; In putting together a cluster it seems common practice to use a KVM to link all the keyboard-mouse-monitor interactions. Yet, all the units I've seen do this independantly of the outgoing ethernet traffic. So in the end I have two ...

  1. can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoing ethernet port

    In putting together a cluster it seems common practice to use a KVM to link
    all the keyboard-mouse-monitor interactions. Yet, all the units I've seen
    do this independantly of the outgoing ethernet traffic.

    So in the end I have two cables: ethernet + kvm.

    Is there a possibility of just injecting all (keyboar+mouse+monitor)
    traffic into the outgoing ethernet channel? That would mean less wire
    messes. With 1GB+ ethernet links becoming default on these systems this
    must be not be a bandwidth limitation any more, is it? And then anywhere on
    the LAN I ought to be able to extract the relevant packets and see the
    machines I need. Sounds easy in theory but are there practical problems?

    Or are there any solutions of this form that already exist? I've seen KVM-
    over-IP solutions but usually they have a box of their own into which one
    channels all the mouse+keyb+monitor cables and then they can push it out
    over IP

    Is it possible to do this at each blade level so that the only two outputs
    my blade needs will be (1) ethernet and (2) power.

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoingethernet port

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:39:57 +0000, Rahul rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > In putting together a cluster it seems common practice to use a KVM to
    > link all the keyboard-mouse-monitor interactions. Yet, all the units
    > I've seen do this independantly of the outgoing ethernet traffic.
    >
    > So in the end I have two cables: ethernet + kvm.
    >
    > Is there a possibility of just injecting all (keyboar+mouse+monitor)
    > traffic into the outgoing ethernet channel? That would mean less wire
    > messes. With 1GB+ ethernet links becoming default on these systems this
    > must be not be a bandwidth limitation any more, is it? And then anywhere
    > on the LAN I ought to be able to extract the relevant packets and see
    > the machines I need. Sounds easy in theory but are there practical
    > problems?
    >
    > Or are there any solutions of this form that already exist? I've seen
    > KVM- over-IP solutions but usually they have a box of their own into
    > which one channels all the mouse+keyb+monitor cables and then they can
    > push it out over IP
    >
    > Is it possible to do this at each blade level so that the only two
    > outputs my blade needs will be (1) ethernet and (2) power.

    man ssh (ssh -X remote_machine_name)

  3. Re: can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoing ethernet port

    david wrote in news:g5m6gj$5m3$1@aioe.org:

    > man ssh (ssh -X remote_machine_name)

    Thanks David. Not really the same since ssh only kicks up after a
    successful system boot etc., right? Not too much use for routine
    troubleshooting. Accessing bios; etc. That's where KVM etc. kick in I
    suppose.

    --
    Rahul

  4. Re: can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoing ethernet port

    On 2008-07-16, Rahul wrote:
    > In putting together a cluster it seems common practice to use a KVM to link
    > all the keyboard-mouse-monitor interactions. Yet, all the units I've seen
    > do this independantly of the outgoing ethernet traffic.
    >
    > So in the end I have two cables: ethernet + kvm.

    Or you can use an Ip-based KVM and have just a web interface.

    Davide

    --
    Q: How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    A: It cannot be done. You will need to upgrade your house.

  5. Re: can I inject all mouse+kb+monitor traffic into my outgoing ethernet port

    Rahul wrote:
    > Thanks David. Not really the same since ssh only kicks up after a
    > successful system boot etc., right? Not too much use for routine
    > troubleshooting. Accessing bios; etc. That's where KVM etc. kick in I
    > suppose.

    If you need this at boot time, without the operating system running,
    then I would go for the boxes that you have already seen.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,