Help Needed!! - Hardware

This is a discussion on Help Needed!! - Hardware ; Can someone please refer me to documentation regarding writing device drivers for Linux 2.6. I am having problems installing a device driver for a Conextant modem on a debian 4.0 regards, Milon Bhattacharya...

  1. Help Needed!!

    Can someone please refer me to documentation regarding writing device
    drivers for Linux 2.6.
    I am having problems installing a device driver for a Conextant modem
    on a debian 4.0

    regards,
    Milon Bhattacharya

  2. Re: Help Needed!!

    milon writes:

    > Can someone please refer me to documentation regarding writing device
    > drivers for Linux 2.6.

    http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/ may be a good start. But do you really need
    to get into writing device drivers? (Some guy with an Indian name had a
    Linux device driver book come out a few months ago too but I forget the
    details. May be worth looking at; I never have.)

    > I am having problems installing a device driver for a Conextant modem
    > on a debian 4.0

    Which version of the kernel? (uname -r)

    What modem is it? How does it plug in? Is it built in?

    Which device driver are you trying to use for it? Where did you get it?
    What `problems' occur - what do you do, what error messages appear?

    Mark

  3. Re: Help Needed!!

    Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
    > milon writes:
    >
    >> Can someone please refer me to documentation regarding writing device
    >> drivers for Linux 2.6.

    > http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/ may be a good start. But do you really need
    > to get into writing device drivers? (Some guy with an Indian name had a
    > Linux device driver book come out a few months ago too but I forget the
    > details. May be worth looking at; I never have.)

    If you REALLY do want to write you own device driver, I think
    "that" book is excellent.... see:

    Essential Linux Device Drivers
    Prentice Hall Open Source Dev Series
    by Sreekrishan Venkateswaran

    “Probably the most wide ranging and complete Linux device driver book I’ve read.”

    --Alan Cox, Linux Guru and Key Kernel Developer

    “Very comprehensive and detailed, covering almost every single Linux device driver type.”

    --Theodore Ts’o, First Linux Kernel Developer in North America and Chief Platform Strategist of the Linux Foundation

+ Reply to Thread