upgrading 5 GB HD on Gateway Solo 1100 - Hardware

This is a discussion on upgrading 5 GB HD on Gateway Solo 1100 - Hardware ; I have a 5 GB hard drive on my Gateway Solo 1100 laptop. I would like to upgrade the hard drive and install Debian Linux. I have been warned by several knowledgeable people that the problem with upgrading the HD ...

  1. upgrading 5 GB HD on Gateway Solo 1100

    I have a 5 GB hard drive on my Gateway Solo 1100 laptop. I would like
    to upgrade the hard drive and install Debian Linux.

    I have been warned by several knowledgeable people that the problem
    with upgrading the HD on Solo 1100 is that I may need a BIOS update to
    address more than 32GB (and the BIOS update is "probably not
    available").

    For my present purposes, I would be quite happy with a 20GB HD, but
    the smallest that Gateway will sell me is an 80GB Western Digital
    Scorpio. The Gateway tech insists that the BIOS does not require an
    upgrade to address the bigger drive, although I may have to "partition
    the drive". (I'm not sure what means, since the partitioning of the
    drive is, I think, handled by the Debian installation program.)

    Should I believe Gateway? Any reflections on this subject are welcome

    Thanks & Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: upgrading 5 GB HD on Gateway Solo 1100

    On Wednesday 09 July 2008 22:08, someone who identifies as *Vwaju* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > I have a 5 GB hard drive on my Gateway Solo 1100 laptop. I would like
    > to upgrade the hard drive and install Debian Linux.
    >
    > I have been warned by several knowledgeable people that the problem
    > with upgrading the HD on Solo 1100 is that I may need a BIOS update to
    > address more than 32GB (and the BIOS update is "probably not
    > available").

    There used to be a problem with old BIOS versions and large drives, in that
    those BIOS versions could not access all of the drive's capacity. However,
    if the processor in your machine is at least an Intel Pentium III,
    equivalent - such as AMD's Athlon or Intel's Celeron - or newer, then
    you're most likely fine without a BIOS flash.

    > For my present purposes, I would be quite happy with a 20GB HD, but
    > the smallest that Gateway will sell me is an 80GB Western Digital
    > Scorpio.

    I'm actually surprised that an 80 GB disk is still being sold, now that
    we've entered the era of 500 GB to 1 TB disks. ;-)

    > The Gateway tech insists that the BIOS does not require an upgrade to
    > address the bigger drive, although I may have to "partition
    > the drive". (I'm not sure what means, since the partitioning of the
    > drive is, I think, handled by the Debian installation program.)

    I've never installed Debian myself, and it is possible that the partitioning
    is automatically handled by the installer, but either way it is always best
    to partition the drive yourself and assign mountpoints and filesystem space
    per your own demands.

    However, most helpdesk guys have only Windows in mind, and Windows tends to
    want to consume the entire diskspace for itself, so maybe Windows has a
    problem with such large partitions, which could then be remedied by
    creating several separate partitions instead. (I don't know, I don't use
    Windows. :-))

    > Should I believe Gateway?

    Well, they've got the data on that machine since they built it, and so they
    are best placed to tell you whether you need a BIOS flash or not. In
    addition, if anything goes wrong, then it's their responsibility, because
    it was one of their tech staff who told you what to do and you were
    following his instructions.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)