installing Linux on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop - Hardware

This is a discussion on installing Linux on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop - Hardware ; Email and web browsing never caught on with grandma, so I repossessed the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000. (Despite being 8 years old, it was still in the box! It has a Celeron processor, 64MB ...

  1. installing Linux on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop

    Email and web browsing never caught on with grandma, so I repossessed
    the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000. (Despite being 8
    years old, it was still in the box! It has a Celeron processor, 64MB
    of RAM and a 5GB hard drive.)

    I tried to install Debian (debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso). It seemed
    to be going fine (in "low memory mode") but during "Load Installer
    Components from CD" the installation stalled trying to retrieve zliblg-
    udeb. I was not able to get passed this point.

    There's nothing wrong with the disk, since I used it next to install
    Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 (Pentium III, 394 MB RAM, and 20 GB
    HD).

    Is 64 MB just not enough RAM? I would be grateful for any thoughts
    any of you might have about this.

    Thanks & Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: installing Linux on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop

    Vwaju wrote:
    > Email and web browsing never caught on with grandma, so I repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000. (Despite being 8
    > years old, it was still in the box! It has a Celeron processor, 64MB
    > of RAM and a 5GB hard drive.)
    >
    > I tried to install Debian (debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso). It seemed
    > to be going fine (in "low memory mode") but during "Load Installer
    > Components from CD" the installation stalled trying to retrieve zliblg-
    > udeb. I was not able to get passed this point.
    >
    > There's nothing wrong with the disk, since I used it next to install
    > Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 (Pentium III, 394 MB RAM, and 20 GB
    > HD).
    >
    > Is 64 MB just not enough RAM? I would be grateful for any thoughts
    > any of you might have about this.
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    I don't know about Debian but this would run Slax-ware
    easily or SliTax 1.0. Slax-ware is big at around 200 MB
    but SliTaz is only 25 MB and has low memory cheats to
    work in as little as 16 MB. The site has a lot of fine documentation
    and full instructions for hard disk install. The documentation is
    clear and you get a short course in command line control and
    operation as well as thru the GUI running on Joe's Window
    Manager. Reminds me of Dr. Dobb's slogan, "Running Fast and
    Light with no Over-byte."

    later
    bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
    the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
    It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
    --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

  3. Re: installing Linux on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:18:07 -0700, Vwaju typed this message:

    > Email and web browsing never caught on with grandma, so I repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000. (Despite being 8
    > years old, it was still in the box! It has a Celeron processor, 64MB of
    > RAM and a 5GB hard drive.)
    >
    > I tried to install Debian (debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso). It seemed to
    > be going fine (in "low memory mode") but during "Load Installer
    > Components from CD" the installation stalled trying to retrieve zliblg-
    > udeb. I was not able to get passed this point.
    >
    > There's nothing wrong with the disk, since I used it next to install
    > Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 (Pentium III, 394 MB RAM, and 20 GB
    > HD).
    >
    > Is 64 MB just not enough RAM? I would be grateful for any thoughts any
    > of you might have about this.
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    Yipes, 64meg!!
    Low memory and small hd, not surprised Grandma didn't bother using it.
    Check the distrowatch.com or linux.com for a list of distros then try to
    match memory requirements for your laptop. DamnSmallLinux is about the
    smallest.

  4. Re: installing Linux on Gateway Solo 1100 laptop

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:18:07 -0700, Vwaju typed this message:

    > Email and web browsing never caught on with grandma, so I repossessed
    > the Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that we got her in 2000. (Despite being 8
    > years old, it was still in the box! It has a Celeron processor, 64MB of
    > RAM and a 5GB hard drive.)
    >
    > I tried to install Debian (debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso). It seemed to
    > be going fine (in "low memory mode") but during "Load Installer
    > Components from CD" the installation stalled trying to retrieve zliblg-
    > udeb. I was not able to get passed this point.
    >
    > There's nothing wrong with the disk, since I used it next to install
    > Debian on my Dell Dimension 4100 (Pentium III, 394 MB RAM, and 20 GB
    > HD).
    >
    > Is 64 MB just not enough RAM? I would be grateful for any thoughts any
    > of you might have about this.
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    I checked Debian site, that laptop meets the absolute minimum for running
    a desktop and only 4GB HD more than a no desktop installation. Try a
    smaller distribution.

+ Reply to Thread