Could you guess where the problem is ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Could you guess where the problem is ? - Hardware ; Dear News Readers I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter. I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen ...

  1. Could you guess where the problem is ?

    Dear News Readers

    I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.

    I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen
    and downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that
    computer.

    That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the breakdown,
    I used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh' to that
    computer, and run some program which does not require X window. But it
    was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the program after
    sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on value". In this
    time there was no system down.

    After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to Window
    XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the installation by
    sending the message like "...IRQL not less or equal...".

    Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.

    I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP
    on value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram
    or socket.

    Could you guess where the problem is ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    nylee wrote:

    > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.

    What I would do is try a Debian disk. This may work with your computer,
    if not, you may really have a RAM problem. What you can do is totally
    reset the computer motherboard, removing the internal battery, short out
    the relevant jumper, power up and down, then replace the battery. There
    may be an option in the BIOS to alter the RAM timing speed. You may be
    able to select a slower speed. Now try again with that Debian disk.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley,
    393 Quinton Road West,

  3. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    nylee wrote:
    > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP
    > on value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram
    > or socket.

    > Could you guess where the problem is ?

    Well, it could be some bad memory... have you tried a memory test yet?
    Chris

  4. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > Dear News Readers
    >
    > I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.
    >
    > I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    > big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen and
    > downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that computer.
    >
    > That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    > more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the breakdown, I
    > used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh' to that
    > computer, and run some program which does not require X window. But it
    > was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the program after
    > sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on value". In this time
    > there was no system down.
    >
    > After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to Window
    > XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the installation by
    > sending the message like "...IRQL not less or equal...".
    >
    > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.
    >
    > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP on
    > value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram or
    > socket.
    >
    > Could you guess where the problem is ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You should get a copy of 'memtest86+' and run a memory test.

  5. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    On Jul 7, 7:52*pm, david wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee rearranged some electrons to
    > say:
    >

    > > Dear News Readers

    > > I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.

    > > I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    > > big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen and
    > > downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that computer.

    > > That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    > > more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the breakdown, I
    > > used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh' to that
    > > computer, and run some program which does not require X window. But it
    > > was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the program after
    > > sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on value". In this time
    > > there was no system down.

    > > After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to Window
    > > XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the installation by
    > > sending the message like "...IRQL not less or equal...".

    > > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.

    > > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP on
    > > value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram or
    > > socket.

    > > Could you guess where the problem is ?

    > > Thanks in advance

    > You should get a copy of 'memtest86+' and run a memory test.- Hide quotedtext -

    Thanks for your recommendation.

    But I don't know how to do memory test with the computer that does not
    have any kind of OS yet all.

    nylee

  6. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 04:18:48 -0700, nylee wrote:

    > On Jul 7, 7:52*pm, david wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee rearranged some electrons to
    >> say:
    >>

    >> > Dear News Readers

    >> > I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.

    >> > I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    >> > big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen
    >> > and downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that
    >> > computer.

    >> > That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    >> > more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the
    >> > breakdown, I used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh'
    >> > to that computer, and run some program which does not require X
    >> > window. But it was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the
    >> > program after sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on
    >> > value". In this time there was no system down.

    >> > After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to
    >> > Window XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the
    >> > installation by sending the message like "...IRQL not less or
    >> > equal...".

    >> > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.

    >> > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP
    >> > on value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram
    >> > or socket.

    >> > Could you guess where the problem is ?

    >> > Thanks in advance

    >> You should get a copy of 'memtest86+' and run a memory test.- Hide
    >> quoted text -

    > Thanks for your recommendation.
    >
    > But I don't know how to do memory test with the computer that does not
    > have any kind of OS yet all.
    >
    > nylee

    Memtest86+ can come in a bootable iso. It doesn't need an installed OS.
    Depending on your problem, it may not boot, but it is with a shot.

    http://www.memtest.org/

  7. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee wrote:

    > Dear News Readers
    >
    > I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.
    >
    > I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    > big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen and
    > downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that computer.
    >
    > That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    > more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the breakdown, I
    > used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh' to that
    > computer, and run some program which does not require X window. But it
    > was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the program after
    > sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on value". In this time
    > there was no system down.
    >
    > After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to Window
    > XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the installation by
    > sending the message like "...IRQL not less or equal...".
    >
    > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.
    >
    > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP on
    > value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram or
    > socket.
    >
    > Could you guess where the problem is ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    My first guess would be bad RAM, but before you start replacing it, do
    the following:

    1. Clean out or blow out all the dust and dirt in the computer;

    2. Remove all RAM chips and plugs, etc. and using electronic contacts
    cleaner--It comes in a spray can; most computer or hardware stores have
    it--clean all the contacts on everything. Re-install everything.

    3. Check that all fans are clean and spin smoothly, particularly check
    that your power supply unit is clean inside and the CPU heat sink is free
    of dirt and "grunge."

    4. Turn the computer on and see if it will POST, that is Power-on, Self-
    Test. You won't need an operating system to do this. Most computers by
    pressing the TAB will display what is being done. POSTing checks IO,
    RAM, keyboard, etc. to see that all is well. If it finds a problem or
    something doesn't work, you'll see it in the output.

    5. If POST works and RAM is the problem, and you have more than one chip
    of RAM installed, remove all but one, and POST again, exchanging chips
    until the bad one is found. Install the good ones. Read the motherboard
    instructions regarding RAM: It may not work with just one chip
    installed. So, you'll have to adapt my instructions to find the bad chip.

    6. If POST finds no error in the RAM, let us know and get other
    suggestions. Also, if you know how old your machine is, and the
    specifications on it, listing that, too, will help.

    Stef

  8. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 04:18:48 -0700, nylee rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > On Jul 7, 7:52*pm, david wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee rearranged some electrons to
    >> say:
    >>

    >> > Dear News Readers

    >> > I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.

    >> > I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    >> > big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen
    >> > and downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that
    >> > computer.

    >> > That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    >> > more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the
    >> > breakdown, I used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh'
    >> > to that computer, and run some program which does not require X
    >> > window. But it was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the
    >> > program after sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on
    >> > value". In this time there was no system down.

    >> > After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to
    >> > Window XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the
    >> > installation by sending the message like "...IRQL not less or
    >> > equal...".

    >> > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.

    >> > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP
    >> > on value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram
    >> > or socket.

    >> > Could you guess where the problem is ?

    >> > Thanks in advance

    >> You should get a copy of 'memtest86+' and run a memory test.- Hide
    >> quoted text -

    > Thanks for your recommendation.
    >
    > But I don't know how to do memory test with the computer that does not
    > have any kind of OS yet all.
    >
    > nylee

    You can get a bootable version of memtest86+.
    Google is that way --->

  9. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee wrote:

    > Dear News Readers
    >
    > I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.
    >
    > I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    > big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen and
    > downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that computer.
    >
    > That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    > more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the breakdown, I
    > used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh' to that
    > computer, and run some program which does not require X window. But it
    > was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the program after
    > sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on value". In this time
    > there was no system down.
    >
    > After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to Window
    > XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the installation by
    > sending the message like "...IRQL not less or equal...".
    >
    > Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.
    >
    > I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP on
    > value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram or
    > socket.
    >
    > Could you guess where the problem is ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    If you suspect a RAM proglem 1) reseat all the RAM on the motherboard 2)
    run memory test.

  10. Re: Could you guess where the problem is ?

    ray wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:08:18 -0700, nylee wrote:
    >
    >> Dear News Readers
    >>
    >> I'd like to ask your recommendation for the following matter.
    >>
    >> I have a computer, which I used for 3 months with Window XP without a
    >> big problem. But, recently, I felt the computer showed a blue screen and
    >> downed too frequently. So I installed Fedora Core to that computer.
    >>
    >> That computer was OK for several days with Fedora Core, but it downed
    >> more often than Window XP when I use X window. To avoid the breakdown, I
    >> used that computer only as ssh-server. I mean I do 'ssh' to that
    >> computer, and run some program which does not require X window. But it
    >> was OK just for several minutes, and stop running the program after
    >> sending some message something like "...Bad RIP on value". In this time
    >> there was no system down.
    >>
    >> After frustrated by these problems, I decided to change back to Window
    >> XP. But, in this time, the computer did not allow the installation by
    >> sending the message like "...IRQL not less or equal...".
    >>
    >> Now I also failed to install Fedora Core.
    >>
    >> I googled this matter, and some people said those message("...Bad RIP on
    >> value" or "...IRQL not less or equal...") are related to false ram or
    >> socket.
    >>
    >> Could you guess where the problem is ?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > If you suspect a RAM proglem 1) reseat all the RAM on the motherboard 2)
    > run memory test.

    look for swollen capacitors, part of the "$100 Million capacitor plague"
    that is the result of going "GREEN", and industrial espionage...

    Today, out of 30 computer systems I looked at for repair, 19 had bloated
    caps that were leaking out the tops... two had power supplies with the
    problem, while the majority of bad caps are on the mainboards.

+ Reply to Thread