Messed up firmware of PCMCIA network card - Hardware

This is a discussion on Messed up firmware of PCMCIA network card - Hardware ; Network card - Netgear MA401 Rev D NICID x0800c (from what I remember). Initial firmware version 1.0.0. Tried to upgrade it to 1.8.2 because it did not support WPA out of the box. Followed Jun Sun's guide on flashing Intersil ...

  1. Messed up firmware of PCMCIA network card

    Network card - Netgear MA401 Rev D

    NICID x0800c (from what I remember). Initial firmware version 1.0.0. Tried
    to upgrade it to 1.8.2 because it did not support WPA out of the box.
    Followed Jun Sun's guide on flashing Intersil based chipsets with version
    1.8.2 :

    http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

    prism2_srec failed to download the firmware on to the flash memory. It also
    wiped out (apparently) the previous one (I used option -f).

    Now, the card does not even register as a network interface (Readback test
    fails complaining about missing primary firmware).

    What are my options ? How do I flash it with its original firmware (I
    downloaded the contents of the initial CD from Netgear's website) ?

  2. Re: Messed up firmware of PCMCIA network card

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:52:58 -0700, Geico Caveman wrote:

    > Network card - Netgear MA401 Rev D
    >
    > NICID x0800c (from what I remember). Initial firmware version 1.0.0. Tried
    > to upgrade it to 1.8.2 because it did not support WPA out of the box.
    > Followed Jun Sun's guide on flashing Intersil based chipsets with version
    > 1.8.2 :
    >
    > http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
    >
    > prism2_srec failed to download the firmware on to the flash memory. It
    > also wiped out (apparently) the previous one (I used option -f).
    >
    > Now, the card does not even register as a network interface (Readback test
    > fails complaining about missing primary firmware).
    >
    > What are my options ? How do I flash it with its original firmware (I
    > downloaded the contents of the initial CD from Netgear's website) ?

    I would reflash the original bin that I made a backup of before flashing
    the new. You ---did--- make a backup yes?

  3. Re: Messed up firmware of PCMCIA network card

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:52:58 -0700, Geico Caveman wrote:
    >
    >> Network card - Netgear MA401 Rev D
    >>
    >> NICID x0800c (from what I remember). Initial firmware version 1.0.0.
    >> Tried to upgrade it to 1.8.2 because it did not support WPA out of the
    >> box. Followed Jun Sun's guide on flashing Intersil based chipsets with
    >> version 1.8.2 :
    >>
    >> http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
    >>
    >> prism2_srec failed to download the firmware on to the flash memory. It
    >> also wiped out (apparently) the previous one (I used option -f).
    >>
    >> Now, the card does not even register as a network interface (Readback
    >> test fails complaining about missing primary firmware).
    >>
    >> What are my options ? How do I flash it with its original firmware (I
    >> downloaded the contents of the initial CD from Netgear's website) ?

    > I would reflash the original bin that I made a backup of before flashing
    > the new. You ---did--- make a backup yes?

    No I did not.

    In any case, the device is not even recognized any more. How does one flash
    it (even if I were able to find some firmware from somewhere) ?

+ Reply to Thread