Detect defective disk on HP ProLiant BL25p - Hardware

This is a discussion on Detect defective disk on HP ProLiant BL25p - Hardware ; Hi all, I am running RedHat Advance Server 3.0 on several HP ProLiant BL25p servers. As a matter of fact are the two disk mirrored over a hardware raid directly build in into the blade. To connect to the disk ...

  1. Detect defective disk on HP ProLiant BL25p

    Hi all,

    I am running RedHat Advance Server 3.0 on several HP ProLiant BL25p
    servers.
    As a matter of fact are the two disk mirrored over a hardware raid
    directly build in into the blade.
    To connect to the disk are we using the cciss driver as recommended by
    HP.

    The only problem we have now is that we are not able to detect any
    problems on the disk, as the module does not report any problems back
    to the operating system.

    Does somebody have something similar in place with a running disk
    monitoring, or does know where I should look at? I've already checked
    the HP utilities. But of some reason are they not really useful as
    they also not show me if a disk is having trouble.

    Thanks for every idea and hint in advance and all the best,
    Si

  2. Re: Detect defective disk on HP ProLiant BL25p

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:50:59 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, simon.reber@gmail.com
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am running RedHat Advance Server 3.0 on several HP ProLiant BL25p
    > servers.
    > As a matter of fact are the two disk mirrored over a hardware raid
    > directly build in into the blade.
    > To connect to the disk are we using the cciss driver as recommended by
    > HP.
    >
    > The only problem we have now is that we are not able to detect any
    > problems on the disk, as the module does not report any problems back
    > to the operating system.
    >
    > Does somebody have something similar in place with a running disk
    > monitoring, or does know where I should look at? I've already checked
    > the HP utilities. But of some reason are they not really useful as
    > they also not show me if a disk is having trouble.

    Sure they do. Do you have this installed?

    [root@here ~]# rpm -qif `which hpacucli`
    Name : hpacucli Relocations: (not relocatable)
    Version : 7.80 Vendor: HP Company
    Release : 6 Build Date: Mon 16 Apr 2007 10:25:32
    PM GMT
    Install Date: Sat 04 Aug 2007 05:09:24 AM GMT Build Host:
    localhost.localdomain
    Group : Applications/System Source RPM: hpacucli-7.80-6.src.rpm
    Size : 8746855 License: 2005 Hewlett-Packard
    Development Company, L.P.
    Signature : (none)
    Description :
    The HP Command Line Array Configuration Utility is the disk
    array configuration program for Array Controllers.

    [root@here ~]# hpacucli controller slot=0 logicaldrive all show

    Smart Array 6i in Slot 0

    array A

    logicaldrive 1 (838.2 GB, RAID 1+0, OK)

    [root@here ~]# hpacucli controller slot=0 physicaldrive all show

    Smart Array 6i in Slot 0

    array A

    physicaldrive 2:0 (port 2:id 0 , Parallel SCSI, 300 GB, OK)
    physicaldrive 2:1 (port 2:id 1 , Parallel SCSI, 300 GB, OK)
    physicaldrive 2:2 (port 2:id 2 , Parallel SCSI, 300 GB, OK)
    physicaldrive 2:3 (port 2:id 3 , Parallel SCSI, 300 GB, OK)
    physicaldrive 2:4 (port 2:id 4 , Parallel SCSI, 300 GB, OK)
    physicaldrive 2:5 (port 2:id 5 , Parallel SCSI, 300 GB, OK)

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Detect defective disk on HP ProLiant BL25p

    simon.reber@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am running RedHat Advance Server 3.0 on several HP ProLiant BL25p
    > servers.
    > As a matter of fact are the two disk mirrored over a hardware raid
    > directly build in into the blade.
    > To connect to the disk are we using the cciss driver as recommended by
    > HP.
    >
    > The only problem we have now is that we are not able to detect any
    > problems on the disk, as the module does not report any problems back
    > to the operating system.
    >
    > Does somebody have something similar in place with a running disk
    > monitoring, or does know where I should look at? I've already checked
    > the HP utilities. But of some reason are they not really useful as
    > they also not show me if a disk is having trouble.
    >
    > Thanks for every idea and hint in advance and all the best,
    > Si

    What makes you think you disks have a problem?

+ Reply to Thread