linux network card for laptop - Hardware

This is a discussion on linux network card for laptop - Hardware ; I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet card. A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=5247745472B03 However, Linksys does ...

  1. linux network card for laptop

    I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    card.

    A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=5247745472B03

    However, Linksys does not provide drivers for Linux.

    How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    *before* you buy it.

    Many thanks for any guidance you give me.

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: linux network card for laptop

    Vwaju wrote:
    > I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    > administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    > card.
    >
    > A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=5247745472B03
    >
    > However, Linksys does not provide drivers for Linux.
    >
    > How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    > *before* you buy it.
    >
    > Many thanks for any guidance you give me.
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    Hello Vwaju:

    What Linux distribution is installed on your laptop?

    What version is the distribution?

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  3. Re: linux network card for laptop

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:50:01 -0700, Vwaju wrote:

    > I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    > administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    > card.
    >
    > A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor
    >
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...ldpagename=US%

    2FLayout&cid=1124916752477&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%
    2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5247745472B03

    > However, Linksys does not provide drivers for Linux.

    I don't know of a maker who does.

    > How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    > *before* you buy it.

    Atheros chipset cards are quite well supported. I use a Dlink WNA2330 H/W
    Ver: A1 F/W Ver:1.0 - it works splendidly.

    > Many thanks for any guidance you give me.
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

  4. Re: linux network card for laptop

    On Jul 1, 12:48 pm, ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:50:01 -0700, Vwaju wrote:
    > > I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    > > administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    > > card.

    > > A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor

    > >http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...&childpagename...

    > 2FLayout&cid=1124916752477&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%
    > 2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5247745472B03
    >

    > > However, Linksys does not provide drivers for Linux.

    > I don't know of a maker who does.
    >

    > > How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    > > *before* you buy it.

    > Atheros chipset cards are quite well supported. I use a Dlink WNA2330 H/W
    > Ver: A1 F/W Ver:1.0 - it works splendidly.
    >

    > > Many thanks for any guidance you give me.

    > > Vwaju
    > > New York City

    IPW: I haven't actually installed it yet, but I will be running
    either Debian GNU/Linux 4.0r3 (kernel version 2.6) or Slackware 12.0
    (kernel version 2.6.21.5)

    ray: Thanks for the direction. Can you tell me where I can get the
    Dlink WNA2330 H/W?

  5. Re: linux network card for laptop

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:14:53 -0700, Vwaju wrote:

    > On Jul 1, 12:48 pm, ray wrote:
    >> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:50:01 -0700, Vwaju wrote:
    >> > I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    >> > administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    >> > card.

    >> > A possible candidate might be the Linksys Gigabit Notebook Adaptor

    >> >http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?

    c=L_Product_C2&childpagename...

    >> 2FLayout&cid=1124916752477&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%
    >> 2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5247745472B03
    >>

    >> > However, Linksys does not provide drivers for Linux.

    >> I don't know of a maker who does.
    >>

    >> > How do find out whether a driver is available for a network card
    >> > *before* you buy it.

    >> Atheros chipset cards are quite well supported. I use a Dlink WNA2330
    >> H/W Ver: A1 F/W Ver:1.0 - it works splendidly.
    >>

    >> > Many thanks for any guidance you give me.

    >> > Vwaju
    >> > New York City

    > IPW: I haven't actually installed it yet, but I will be running either
    > Debian GNU/Linux 4.0r3 (kernel version 2.6) or Slackware 12.0 (kernel
    > version 2.6.21.5)
    >
    > ray: Thanks for the direction. Can you tell me where I can get the
    > Dlink WNA2330 H/W?

    Got mine from Staples or OfficeMax - that's all we have here. Suggest you
    look for the same hardware version - makers sometimes change chipsets
    without telling anyone.

  6. Re: linux network card for laptop

    Vwaju wrote:

    > I have an old Gateway Solo 1100 laptop that I want to use for
    > administration of a Linux internet server, but it needs an Ethernet
    > card.

    If you don't really need a gigabyte network card, I can get you some old
    100Mbps cards for really cheap. I no longer have a laptop that needs these
    so they are just gathering dust waiting for a needy person.

    http://mymetropolist.com/forsale/

    I suppose I can ship one or more to you for about 5-10 dollars, not sure how
    much shipping is these days. I'd recommend the first one, with the plug
    built in and no moving parts. I've broken a dongle-style card before and I
    no longer trust them.

    As for drivers, they are part of the kernel and you may not have to rebuild
    the kernel to get them to work. They all worked on my slackware 12.1 system
    a few weeks ago, but I'm running on a kernel that I built myself, so I
    might have something to do with them just working automagically.

    - Miguel
    Los Angeles