NEED URGENT HELP - Hardware

This is a discussion on NEED URGENT HELP - Hardware ; Dear Linux Gurus, I need your help in choosing the right Linux Hardware for the following specifications.Basically our company will be using this machine for number crunching/IC designing purpose,where lot of memory and cpu is required. 1) Desktop Board supporting ...

  1. NEED URGENT HELP

    Dear Linux Gurus,

    I need your help in choosing the right Linux Hardware for the
    following specifications.Basically our company will be using this
    machine for number crunching/IC designing purpose,where lot of memory
    and cpu is required.

    1) Desktop Board supporting 8GB Ram
    2) Intel / AMD Quad core processor
    3) Red hat Linux/Centos Support

    I goggled and got lot of information but i am not satisfied.Please
    help me in choosing the right hardware and software.

    Thanks,
    Pavan

  2. Re: NEED URGENT HELP

    dev.pav wrote:
    > Dear Linux Gurus,
    >
    > I need your help in choosing the right Linux Hardware for the
    > following specifications.Basically our company will be using this
    > machine for number crunching/IC designing purpose,where lot of memory
    > and cpu is required.
    >
    > 1) Desktop Board supporting 8GB Ram
    > 2) Intel / AMD Quad core processor

    You may wish to see if a Supermicro motherboard fits your needs.

    > 3) Red hat Linux/Centos Support

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 is eligible for Red Hat email/telephone support.

    Although CentOS 5.2 is free to be downloaded, and is based on RHEL 5.2, support may not fit your commercial requirements.

    > I goggled and got lot of information but i am not satisfied.Please
    > help me in choosing the right hardware and software.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pavan

    The following will lead you to whole systems that are Red Hat certified:

    --
    1PW

    @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

  3. Re: NEED URGENT HELP

    On Jul 1, 1:41 pm, 1PW wrote:
    > dev.pav wrote:
    > > Dear Linux Gurus,

    > > I need your help in choosing the right Linux Hardware for the
    > > following specifications.Basically our company will be using this
    > > machine for number crunching/IC designing purpose,where lot of memory
    > > and cpu is required.

    > > 1) Desktop Board supporting 8GB Ram
    > > 2) Intel / AMD Quad core processor

    > You may wish to see if a Supermicro motherboard fits your needs.
    >

    > > 3) Red hat Linux/Centos Support

    > Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 is eligible for Red Hat email/telephone support.
    >
    > Although CentOS 5.2 is free to be downloaded, and is based on RHEL 5.2, support may not fit your commercial requirements.
    >

    > > I goggled and got lot of information but i am not satisfied.Please
    > > help me in choosing the right hardware and software.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Pavan

    > The following will lead you to whole systems that are Red Hat certified:
    >

    > --
    > 1PW
    >
    > @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    Hi,

    Thanks a lot.Fantastic website.

    I really want to know the system configuration.if there is any body
    who have built the system and installed linux for the above mentioned
    configuration ?

  4. Re: NEED URGENT HELP

    dev.pav wrote:
    > Dear Linux Gurus,
    >
    > I need your help in choosing the right Linux Hardware for the
    > following specifications.Basically our company will be using this
    > machine for number crunching/IC designing purpose,where lot of memory
    > and cpu is required.
    >
    > 1) Desktop Board supporting 8GB Ram
    > 2) Intel / AMD Quad core processor
    > 3) Red hat Linux/Centos Support

    I would recommend a motherboard and chipset that supports ECC memory.
    Yes, it cost more, but if you are "betting your business" on this
    machine wouldn't you like to know if one of your RAM SIMMs dropped a bit!

    While Intel chips chips are a bit faster, Quad core AMD Opterons are a
    bit less expensive.

    Stick with name brand boards that are designed for "workstation" use,
    like ASUS, MSI or Supermicro. Look them up on www.newegg.com and read
    the customer feedback. No one ever score 100%, but you should think
    twice about a board that has a large number of low ratings.

+ Reply to Thread