Have RAM, Need a System Recommendation - Hardware

This is a discussion on Have RAM, Need a System Recommendation - Hardware ; Looking to put together an Ubuntu server setup. I'm in a backwards predicament.... I have six 512mb PC 2100 DDR ECC DIMMs and no hardware to put them in. Normally, I pick up a barebones Compaq minitower or SFF machine ...

  1. Have RAM, Need a System Recommendation

    Looking to put together an Ubuntu server setup. I'm in a backwards
    predicament....

    I have six 512mb PC 2100 DDR ECC DIMMs and no hardware to put them in.
    Normally, I pick up a barebones Compaq minitower or SFF machine from
    eBay, then put my own HD and RAM in it. This time, I have RAM but
    don't know what computer to it them in. I don't want to build my own
    hardware, I'd rather have something already together to save myself
    some time. Just pop the gb of RAM in and go.

    Can anyone recommend a (barebones) desktop from Compaq/HP/IBM/etc?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Have RAM, Need a System Recommendation

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:32:46 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, cs
    wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a (barebones) desktop from Compaq/HP/IBM/etc?

    PC2100 DDR RAM is vrey old and anything you find that will use it will be at
    least 5 years old to start with. I suspect you'd do better to Ebay your 3GB RAM
    and put the $20 it will raise towards something newer and better!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: Have RAM, Need a System Recommendation

    On Sunday 29 June 2008 20:33, someone who identifies as *Trevor Hemsley*
    wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:32:46 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, cs
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a (barebones) desktop from Compaq/HP/IBM/etc?

    > PC2100 DDR RAM is vrey old and anything you find that will use it will be
    > at least 5 years old to start with. I suspect you'd do better to Ebay your
    > 3GB RAM and put the $20 it will raise towards something newer and better!

    Hmm... Not necessarily so. The OP is talking of ECC registered DDR RAM,
    which is not quite the same thing, and does not follow the same upgrade
    frenzy as consumergrade PC hardware does.

    It is however true that systems for pc2100 are getting more rare by the day,
    and presumably a second-hand offer on eBay - such as a couple of Opteron
    servers we've managed to pick up from there - might be easier to come by
    than a new machine, but unless I am mistaken - I haven't checked recently -
    servergrade manufacturers like Tyan or Supermicro /might/ still have
    motherboards in their offer that support this kind of RAM.

    Of course, the question will then be whether this type of RAM isn't too slow
    to accommodate the powerful processors those motherboards were designed
    for.

    I happen to have a machine with pc2100 still here myself - an Intel
    motherboard with two P4-based Xeons, and the memory even only works at
    pc1600 specification there (albeit in dual channel mode). This machine was
    built in 2002 and was "middle of the road" in terms of Intel server
    solutions back then, meaning that newer and faster already did exist, but
    AMD stuck with first generation DDR until only about three years ago, and
    many motherboard manufacturers still support DDR-1.

    But like I said, it would be slow, compared to the power of the processors
    intended for those "last of the DDR-1 generation" motherboards.

    Should the OP decide to sell his memory modules on eBay, then I would surely
    suggest a higher asking price than 20 US Dollars. ECC memory is more
    complex and more expensive, and typically also comes with a limited
    lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.

    Your mileage may vary... :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  4. Re: Have RAM, Need a System Recommendation

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:32:46 -0700, cs wrote:

    > Looking to put together an Ubuntu server setup. I'm in a backwards
    > predicament....
    >
    > I have six 512mb PC 2100 DDR ECC DIMMs and no hardware to put them in.
    > Normally, I pick up a barebones Compaq minitower or SFF machine from
    > eBay, then put my own HD and RAM in it. This time, I have RAM but don't
    > know what computer to it them in. I don't want to build my own hardware,
    > I'd rather have something already together to save myself some time.
    > Just pop the gb of RAM in and go.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a (barebones) desktop from Compaq/HP/IBM/etc?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You can get 4G of DDR2-800 for $80 so it makes no sense making a purchase
    decision based on utilizing that RAM. Everything in a modern systems will
    be bigger/faster and cheaper than something from the era of DDR RAM. If
    you can find an old Xeon system for free then you might want to use that
    RAM, otherwise the best thing to do would be to throw it into your scrap
    box and forget about it.

+ Reply to Thread