PCM in Audio - Hardware

This is a discussion on PCM in Audio - Hardware ; I notice that my past sound cards have had a control marked PCM. I have just installed a Creative Audigy card with the CA0106 driver, which shows no such control under Kmix or under Alsamixer. It works O.K., but ALSA ...

  1. PCM in Audio

    I notice that my past sound cards have had a control marked PCM. I have
    just installed a Creative Audigy card with the CA0106 driver, which shows
    no such control under Kmix or under Alsamixer. It works O.K., but ALSA
    prints error messages in a Konsole, about being unable to find PCM.

    Is this anything to worry about? From Googling, PCM is a protocol or
    interface much used by programmers. Generally, I suspect that Windows
    spits out just as many error messages, but they are never seen, because of
    the GUI-style navigation. Similarly, when compiling a program from source,
    there are all kinds of warnings that suggest that the programmer didn't
    know what he was doing, but they are so common that they are plainly good
    practice, and they have no consequences.

    Doug.

  2. Re: PCM in Audio

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I notice that my past sound cards have had a control marked PCM. I have
    > just installed a Creative Audigy card with the CA0106 driver, which shows
    > no such control under Kmix or under Alsamixer. It works O.K., but ALSA
    > prints error messages in a Konsole, about being unable to find PCM.
    >
    > Is this anything to worry about?

    Not really.

    > From Googling, PCM is a protocol or interface much used by programmers.

    PCM is short for "pulse coded modulation", which, in more modern terms,
    is just "digital audio". IOW, as soon as a program generates sounds and
    feeds them into the soundcard, the PCM volume control defines the volume
    of this signal as it goes into the mixer. There, it is mixed with the
    audio signal from other sources, namely the CD, line-In and AUX inputs
    (if there are any), and then again, the volume is adjusted again with
    the global volume control. Lack of the PCM mixer just states that you
    cannot adjust the volume of digital sound relative to all other sound
    sources, though you still have a volume adjustment that works globally
    on all sources.

    Greetings,
    Thomas

  3. Re: PCM in Audio

    Thomas Richter wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I notice that my past sound cards have had a control marked PCM. I have
    >> just installed a Creative Audigy card with the CA0106 driver, which shows
    >> no such control under Kmix or under Alsamixer. It works O.K., but ALSA
    >> prints error messages in a Konsole, about being unable to find PCM.
    >>
    >> Is this anything to worry about?

    > Not really.
    >
    >> From Googling, PCM is a protocol or interface much used by programmers.

    > PCM is short for "pulse coded modulation", which, in more modern terms,
    > is just "digital audio". IOW, as soon as a program generates sounds and
    > feeds them into the soundcard, the PCM volume control defines the volume
    > of this signal as it goes into the mixer. There, it is mixed with the
    > audio signal from other sources, namely the CD, line-In and AUX inputs
    > (if there are any), and then again, the volume is adjusted again with
    > the global volume control. Lack of the PCM mixer just states that you
    > cannot adjust the volume of digital sound relative to all other sound
    > sources, though you still have a volume adjustment that works globally
    > on all sources.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Thomas

    Thanks Thomas. I have a Ham license, so I understand what Pulse Coded
    Modulation is.

    Doug,
    VK3KDI.

+ Reply to Thread