printer no longer prints - Hardware

This is a discussion on printer no longer prints - Hardware ; I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does. Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print" State shows "Stopped: job-stopped" Printer is ready. Re-installed ...

  1. printer no longer prints

    I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS

    Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does.
    Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print"
    State shows "Stopped: job-stopped"

    Printer is ready.

    Re-installed all CUPS with Synaptic, no joy.
    Rebooted system, cycled power on printer to no avail 8-(

    Any ideas out there?

    Thanks, Dave

  2. Re: printer no longer prints

    On 2008-06-25, dcannell hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS
    >
    > Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does.
    > Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print"
    > State shows "Stopped: job-stopped"
    >
    > Printer is ready.
    >
    > Re-installed all CUPS with Synaptic, no joy.
    > Rebooted system, cycled power on printer to no avail 8-(
    >
    > Any ideas out there?

    Try it with another PC or other OS if the Printer is really OK?
    USB-Slot?

    > Thanks, Dave

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: printer no longer prints

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:26:38 -0700, dcannell typed this message:

    > I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS
    >
    > Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does.
    > Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print" State shows
    > "Stopped: job-stopped"
    >
    > Printer is ready.
    >
    > Re-installed all CUPS with Synaptic, no joy. Rebooted system, cycled
    > power on printer to no avail 8-(
    >
    > Any ideas out there?
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    I think you may need to delete the printer and add it back. The last few
    CUPS updates kills printing for some reason.

  4. Re: printer no longer prints

    On Jun 26, 4:35 am, noi ance wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:26:38 -0700, dcannell typed this message:
    >
    > > I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS

    > > Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does.
    > > Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print" State shows
    > > "Stopped: job-stopped"

    > > Printer is ready.

    > > Re-installed all CUPS with Synaptic, no joy. Rebooted system, cycled
    > > power on printer to no avail 8-(

    > > Any ideas out there?

    > > Thanks, Dave

    > I think you may need to delete the printer and add it back. The last few
    > CUPS updates kills printing for some reason.

    That's kinda what I thought... However, I'm not given the 'delete'
    option for the printer, it's grey'd out 8-(
    If I 'Become Administrator' I never see the option again.
    Is there a way to do this via command line? I could start thie whole
    operation off with an 'su'.

    I've added another (different) printer, that one doesn't work on this
    system either but definately does work under W2K on another box.

    Thanks, Dave

  5. Re: printer no longer prints

    noi ance wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:26:38 -0700, dcannell typed this message:
    >

    >> I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS
    >>
    >> Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does.
    >> Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print" State shows
    >> "Stopped: job-stopped"
    >>
    >> Printer is ready.
    >>
    >> Re-installed all CUPS with Synaptic, no joy. Rebooted system, cycled
    >> power on printer to no avail 8-(
    >>
    >> Any ideas out there?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Dave
    >>

    > I think you may need to delete the printer and add it back. The last few
    > CUPS updates kills printing for some reason.

    I am having problems too. The printer is not being recognised but
    eventually it is recognised and the document, after hours, will suddenly
    be printed. This is with Mandriva 2008.1 on an Dell 2400 running a
    parallel cable to an HP Deskjet 694C trying to print in greyscale.

    Great nuisance.

    later
    bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

    --
    bobbie sellers -(Back to Angband)Team *AMIGA & SF-LUG*

    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of cocoa that the thoughts acquire speed,
    the thighs acquire girth, the girth become a warning.
    It is by theobromine alone I set my mind in motion."
    --from Someone else's Dune spoof ripped to my taste.

  6. Re: printer no longer prints

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 04:01:11 -0700, dcannell typed this message:

    > On Jun 26, 4:35 am, noi ance wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:26:38 -0700, dcannell typed this message:
    >>
    >> > I'm a newbie to Linux, know little about CUPS

    >> > Debian etch - HP DJ 970Cxi - Used to work fine, no longer does.
    >> > Attempting a test page, properties shows "Ready to print" State shows
    >> > "Stopped: job-stopped"

    >> > Printer is ready.

    >> > Re-installed all CUPS with Synaptic, no joy. Rebooted system, cycled
    >> > power on printer to no avail 8-(

    >> > Any ideas out there?

    >> > Thanks, Dave

    >> I think you may need to delete the printer and add it back. The last
    >> few CUPS updates kills printing for some reason.

    > That's kinda what I thought... However, I'm not given the 'delete'
    > option for the printer, it's grey'd out 8-( If I 'Become Administrator'
    > I never see the option again. Is there a way to do this via command
    > line? I could start thie whole operation off with an 'su'.
    >
    > I've added another (different) printer, that one doesn't work on this
    > system either but definately does work under W2K on another box.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    Try using the CUPS http://localhost:631/

    Then use the manage printers.

    It seems to work a lot better than the Gnome printer panel as far as
    setting up printers. Getting CUPs to behave at least on Suse is work.

+ Reply to Thread