need help with Dell D600 wireless. Which PCMCIA and Linux version - Hardware

This is a discussion on need help with Dell D600 wireless. Which PCMCIA and Linux version - Hardware ; I am trying to get my Dell D600 laptop to connect wirelessly to my D-Link WBR 1310 router. Which card to buy and which Linux version is easiest to do this? I know many of you are running your laptops ...

  1. need help with Dell D600 wireless. Which PCMCIA and Linux version

    I am trying to get my Dell D600 laptop to connect wirelessly to my D-Link WBR
    1310 router.
    Which card to buy and which Linux version is easiest to do this?
    I know many of you are running your laptops with wireless connection so I would
    like you to tell me what you use and what you did to make it all happen.
    Any ideas or help will be appreciated much.

    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

  2. Re: need help with Dell D600 wireless. Which PCMCIA and Linux version

    On Friday 20 June 2008 18:02, someone who identifies as *Leon Whyte* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > I am trying to get my Dell D600 laptop to connect wirelessly to my D-Link
    > WBR 1310 router.
    > Which card to buy and which Linux version is easiest to do this?
    > I know many of you are running your laptops with wireless connection so I
    > would like you to tell me what you use and what you did to make it all
    > happen. Any ideas or help will be appreciated much.

    Anything with an Atheros or Orinoco chipset will work with Linux. Some
    stuff can also be made to work using the Windows-native driver and
    the /ndiswrapper/ kernel module, but I have no real experience with either
    to know whether all Windows-oriented wireless chipsets can be made to work
    with /ndiswrapper./

    As for what distribution, any recent enough distribution should perform well
    enough. Mileage may and will vary. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: need help with Dell D600 wireless. Which PCMCIA and Linux version

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Friday 20 June 2008 18:02, someone who identifies as *Leon Whyte* wrote
    > in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >
    >> I am trying to get my Dell D600 laptop to connect wirelessly to my D-Link
    >> WBR 1310 router.
    >> Which card to buy and which Linux version is easiest to do this?
    >> I know many of you are running your laptops with wireless connection so I
    >> would like you to tell me what you use and what you did to make it all
    >> happen. Any ideas or help will be appreciated much.

    > Anything with an Atheros or Orinoco chipset will work with Linux. Some
    > stuff can also be made to work using the Windows-native driver and
    > the /ndiswrapper/ kernel module, but I have no real experience with either
    > to know whether all Windows-oriented wireless chipsets can be made to work
    > with /ndiswrapper./
    >
    > As for what distribution, any recent enough distribution should perform well
    > enough. Mileage may and will vary. ;-)

    Thanks for your reply.
    Now all I have to do is find how to determine the chipset of the ones being
    marketed.

    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
    < running Linux >

  4. Re: need help with Dell D600 wireless. Which PCMCIA and Linux version

    Leon Whyte wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >> On Friday 20 June 2008 18:02, someone who identifies as *Leon Whyte* wrote
    >> in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >>
    >>> I am trying to get my Dell D600 laptop to connect wirelessly to my D-Link
    >>> WBR 1310 router.
    >>> Which card to buy and which Linux version is easiest to do this?
    >>> I know many of you are running your laptops with wireless connection so I
    >>> would like you to tell me what you use and what you did to make it all
    >>> happen. Any ideas or help will be appreciated much.

    >> Anything with an Atheros or Orinoco chipset will work with Linux. Some
    >> stuff can also be made to work using the Windows-native driver and
    >> the /ndiswrapper/ kernel module, but I have no real experience with either
    >> to know whether all Windows-oriented wireless chipsets can be made to work
    >> with /ndiswrapper./
    >>
    >> As for what distribution, any recent enough distribution should perform well
    >> enough. Mileage may and will vary. ;-)
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > Now all I have to do is find how to determine the chipset of the ones being
    > marketed.

    Good luck. They regularly change the chips without changing the model
    number. If you're lucky they might change the version number.

    BTW if you're open to a USB solution, look for one using the Zydas
    zd1211 or zd1211b chipset. Kernels since about 2.6.20 or so have the
    zd1211rw driver which works well. Airlink AWLL3026 is one.

    Jerry

+ Reply to Thread