best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery - Hardware

This is a discussion on best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery - Hardware ; I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505 (dual boot WinXP and Fedora). I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but should I continue using it till the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505 (dual
    boot WinXP and Fedora).

    I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then recharge?
    Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained fully how will
    the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new capacity is?

    Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    the battery life?

    Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long term
    should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up from a
    partially-discharged state or does it not matter?

    I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    Rahul wrote:

    > I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505 (dual
    > boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >
    > I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    > should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then recharge?
    > Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained fully how will
    > the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new capacity is?
    >
    > Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    > the battery life?
    >
    > Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long term
    > should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up from a
    > partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >
    > I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    As you likely will here too. Just use the computer according to the
    instructions.

  3. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:02:54 -0700, Rahul wrote:

    > I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    > (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >
    > I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    > should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then
    > recharge? Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained
    > fully how will the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new
    > capacity is?
    >
    > Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    > the battery life?
    >
    > Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    > term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    > from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >
    > I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    From what I've read Li-ion batteries are immune to the 'memory' problems
    of NiCd batteries - it does not really matter much when you charge them -
    do what is convenient for you. You should also be aware that they loose
    about 10% capacity per year and there is not a damned thing you can do
    about it.

  4. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    Rahul wrote:
    > I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505 (dual
    > boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >
    > I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    > should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then recharge?
    > Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained fully how will
    > the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new capacity is?
    >
    > Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    > the battery life?
    >
    > Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long term
    > should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up from a
    > partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >
    > I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    I have a Dell and I've read and or been told that it has to do with
    charge cycles, not amount charged like 20% or 99%. If you get 1000
    charge cycles and charge it everyday, you get about 2-3 years.

  5. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    run the laptop on the battery when you need to and when you don't
    use the AC. If the battery runs down plug the laptop in and let the battery
    charge.

    "Rahul" wrote in message
    news:Xns9AC25C0ABF7016650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@207.46.2 48.16...
    >I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505 (dual
    > boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >
    > I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    > should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then recharge?
    > Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained fully how will
    > the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new capacity is?
    >
    > Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    > the battery life?
    >
    > Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long term
    > should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up from a
    > partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >
    > I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.
    >
    > --
    > Rahul

  6. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    Big_Al wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    >> (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >>
    >> I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    >> should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then
    >> recharge? Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained
    >> fully how will the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new
    >> capacity is?
    >>
    >> Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best
    >> for the battery life?
    >>
    >> Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    >> term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    >> from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >>
    >> I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    > I have a Dell and I've read and or been told that it has to do with
    > charge cycles, not amount charged like 20% or 99%. If you get 1000
    > charge cycles and charge it everyday, you get about 2-3 years.

    yes and no. 3 years is normal for lithium ion, but it's usually
    regardless of whether the battery is used or not. Some charging
    issues (depends on platform) may dictate that it is safer to not
    let it fully discharge... YMMV. But a lithium ion sitting on
    a shelf is in a state of decay as well.

  7. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "Rahul" wrote in message
    news:Xns9AC25C0ABF7016650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@207.46.2 48.16...
    >I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505 (dual
    > boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >
    > I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    > should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then recharge?
    > Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained fully how will
    > the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new capacity is?
    >
    > Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    > the battery life?
    >
    > Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long term
    > should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up from a
    > partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >
    > I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    You will receive conflicting advice here and also on the internet if you
    google these things.

    There are only three things that you really need to know.

    First: remove the battery from the laptop when you are running on AC and not
    charging the battery. The heat generated by the internal components of the
    laptop warms the battery up. Heat destroys Li-ion batteries.

    Second: It is not necessary to discharge the battery before charging it.
    Li-ion batteries do not suffer a memory effect or any other effect which
    stops you from charging from partially discharged. You may hear advice
    about not completely discharging the battery, but I have found no evidence
    to support this view (and I use these batteries in aerospace applications).
    I have 3 examples of batteries that are nearly 15 years old that have often
    been fully discharged. Fully discharging periodically (say every six months
    or so) will recalibrate the battery charge monitor circuit.

    Third: Li-ion batteries do like to be used occasionally. Don't leave one
    standing idle for months on end.

  8. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "ray" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:02:54 -0700, Rahul wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    >> (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >>
    >> I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    >> should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then
    >> recharge? Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained
    >> fully how will the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new
    >> capacity is?
    >>
    >> Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    >> the battery life?
    >>
    >> Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    >> term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    >> from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >>
    >> I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    > From what I've read Li-ion batteries are immune to the 'memory' problems
    > of NiCd batteries - it does not really matter much when you charge them -
    > do what is convenient for you. You should also be aware that they loose
    > about 10% capacity per year and there is not a damned thing you can do
    > about it.

    The evidence for this is largely anecdotal. I have batteries that are
    nearly 15 years old which, if this theory were true, would be useless.

  9. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "Big_Al" wrote in message
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    >> (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >>
    >> I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    >> should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then recharge?
    >> Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained fully how will
    >> the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new capacity is?
    >>
    >> Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    >> the battery life?
    >>
    >> Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    >> term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    >> from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >>
    >> I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    > I have a Dell and I've read and or been told that it has to do with charge
    > cycles, not amount charged like 20% or 99%. If you get 1000 charge
    > cycles and charge it everyday, you get about 2-3 years.

    If you get 1000 charge/disharge cycles then you have got a very unusual
    Li-ion battery indeed. 500 is generally the top end of the range. Of
    course this is full discharge. If you only half discharge the battery, then
    you will get 1000 half cycles, but it's only really 500 full cycles.

  10. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    news:zb6dne3gn99Mh8bVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@posted.inter netamerica...
    > Big_Al wrote:
    >> Rahul wrote:
    >>> I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    >>> (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >>>
    >>> I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    >>> should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then
    >>> recharge? Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained
    >>> fully how will the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new
    >>> capacity is?
    >>>
    >>> Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    >>> the battery life?
    >>>
    >>> Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    >>> term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    >>> from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >>>
    >>> I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    >> I have a Dell and I've read and or been told that it has to do with
    >> charge cycles, not amount charged like 20% or 99%. If you get 1000
    >> charge cycles and charge it everyday, you get about 2-3 years.

    > yes and no. 3 years is normal for lithium ion, but it's usually
    > regardless of whether the battery is used or not. Some charging
    > issues (depends on platform) may dictate that it is safer to not
    > let it fully discharge... YMMV. But a lithium ion sitting on
    > a shelf is in a state of decay as well.

    Where did you get 3 years from? Thes batteries are quite capable of lasting
    10 years or more.

  11. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    In article <6bvaoaF3e31erU3@mid.individual.net>, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:02:54 -0700, Rahul wrote:
    >
    > > I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    > > (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    > >
    > > I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    > > should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then
    > > recharge? Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained
    > > fully how will the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new
    > > capacity is?
    > >
    > > Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best for
    > > the battery life?
    > >
    > > Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    > > term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    > > from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    > >
    > > I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    > From what I've read Li-ion batteries are immune to the 'memory' problems
    > of NiCd batteries - it does not really matter much when you charge them -
    > do what is convenient for you. You should also be aware that they loose
    > about 10% capacity per year and there is not a damned thing you can do
    > about it.

    And absolutely do not leave it in the car, especially on a hot day.
    That can kill it in a few days. I hear freezing is pretty bad too, but
    that's not a danger here.

    Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
    about who it makes friends with.

  12. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    Chris Cox writes:
    >Big_Al wrote:
    >> Rahul wrote:
    >>> Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    >>> term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    >>> from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?

    My impression from the information I read is that it does not matter
    whether you recharge it from a partial or full state; the number of
    charge cycles matters; you should also avoid deep discharge.

    >yes and no. 3 years is normal for lithium ion, but it's usually
    >regardless of whether the battery is used or not.

    That's not true in my experience. My iBook's LiIon Battery has about
    the same capacity now as it had 3.5 years ago when it was new. My
    guess is that this is because it has had relatively few charge cycles
    (it's usually on the mains).

    >But a lithium ion sitting on
    >a shelf is in a state of decay as well.

    If it sits on a shelf, it will discharge itself over time, eventually
    ressulting in deep discharge, and that's not healthy. OTOH, if it
    sits in a laptop on the mains, the charge controller will recharge it
    before that happens (my iBook recharges when the charge drops below
    95%, i.e., once every month or so).

    - anton

  13. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:55:55 +0100, M.I.5Ÿ wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:02:54 -0700, Rahul wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just bought a new LiIon Laptop battery for my Dell Inspirion E1505
    >>> (dual boot WinXP and Fedora).
    >>>
    >>> I gave it my initial 10 hour charge. Now what? I started using it but
    >>> should I continue using it till the battery is drained and then
    >>> recharge? Or should I only drain it partially? If it is not drained
    >>> fully how will the Laptop learn (callibrate) itself to what the new
    >>> capacity is?
    >>>
    >>> Or is it recommended that I only partially discharge it? What's best
    >>> for the battery life?
    >>>
    >>> Another point: How many times should I cycle it this way? In the long
    >>> term should I always wait for a full discharge; or can I charge it up
    >>> from a partially-discharged state or does it not matter?
    >>>
    >>> I've gogled this but recieve conflicting advice.

    >> From what I've read Li-ion batteries are immune to the 'memory'
    >> problems of NiCd batteries - it does not really matter much when you
    >> charge them - do what is convenient for you. You should also be aware
    >> that they loose about 10% capacity per year and there is not a damned
    >> thing you can do about it.

    > The evidence for this is largely anecdotal. I have batteries that are
    > nearly 15 years old which, if this theory were true, would be useless.

    Really - I was not aware that rechargable Li-ion batteries had been around
    that long! So are they really as good as new or only carrying 15% of
    original charge? Did you do any measurements?

  14. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    M.I.5 wrote:

    > Where did you get 3 years from? Thes batteries are quite capable of lasting
    > 10 years or more.

    Hmmm... you have a lithium ion battery that is 10 years old and
    functioning normally? Interesting.

  15. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "ray" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:55:55 +0100, M.I.5Y wrote:
    >
    >> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> From what I've read Li-ion batteries are immune to the 'memory'
    >>> problems of NiCd batteries - it does not really matter much when you
    >>> charge them - do what is convenient for you. You should also be aware
    >>> that they loose about 10% capacity per year and there is not a damned
    >>> thing you can do about it.

    >> The evidence for this is largely anecdotal. I have batteries that are
    >> nearly 15 years old which, if this theory were true, would be useless.

    > Really - I was not aware that rechargable Li-ion batteries had been around
    > that long! So are they really as good as new or only carrying 15% of
    > original charge? Did you do any measurements?

    Li-ion batteries have ben around since the early part of the 1990's (and
    probably before). The examples cited all exhibit close to their original
    capacity (as far as I can tell - they run for near enough the orignal time).
    One of the batteries reports that it is only 70% charged after being fully
    charged, but otherwise works as well as the others.

  16. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    news:5PudnfKwa5H5GsHVnZ2dnUVZ_qDinZ2d@posted.inter netamerica...
    > M.I.5 wrote:
    >>
    >> Where did you get 3 years from? Thes batteries are quite capable of
    >> lasting 10 years or more.

    > Hmmm... you have a lithium ion battery that is 10 years old and
    > functioning normally? Interesting.

    No, I have 3 (three) lithium ion batteries that are *15* years old and still
    functioning.

    My camcorder battery is now 8 years old and working normally.

  17. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "M.I.5" wrote in

    > Li-ion batteries have ben around since the early part of the 1990's
    > (and probably before). The examples cited all exhibit close to their
    > original capacity (as far as I can tell - they run for near enough the
    > orignal time). One of the batteries reports that it is only 70%
    > charged after being fully charged, but otherwise works as well as the
    > others.

    Thanks for all the hints and sugesstions guys! I am sure that following
    those will lead to a longer life than my last Dell battery( approx 1.5
    years no way to track the charge discharge cycles)

    I wish there was a setting / freeware to track the number of cycles my
    battery goes through. At least that way people will have a more
    quantitative way to track their results.

    --
    Rahul

  18. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    M.I.5 wrote:
    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:55:55 +0100, M.I.5Y wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> The evidence for this is largely anecdotal. I have batteries that are
    >>> nearly 15 years old which, if this theory were true, would be useless.

    >> Really - I was not aware that rechargable Li-ion batteries had been
    >> around
    >> that long! So are they really as good as new or only carrying 15% of
    >> original charge? Did you do any measurements?

    > Li-ion batteries have ben around since the early part of the 1990's (and
    > probably before). The examples cited all exhibit close to their original
    > capacity (as far as I can tell - they run for near enough the orignal
    > time).
    > One of the batteries reports that it is only 70% charged after being fully
    > charged, but otherwise works as well as the others.

    Have the Li-ion batteries essentially replaced the NiCad ones? Or are the
    latter just cheaper (just guessing), and still used for economy, or for some
    other reason?

  19. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    "Bill in Co." wrote in message
    > M.I.5 wrote:
    >> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> Really - I was not aware that rechargable Li-ion batteries had been
    >>> around
    >>> that long! So are they really as good as new or only carrying 15% of
    >>> original charge? Did you do any measurements?

    >> Li-ion batteries have ben around since the early part of the 1990's (and
    >> probably before). The examples cited all exhibit close to their original
    >> capacity (as far as I can tell - they run for near enough the orignal
    >> time).
    >> One of the batteries reports that it is only 70% charged after being
    >> fully
    >> charged, but otherwise works as well as the others.

    > Have the Li-ion batteries essentially replaced the NiCad ones? Or are
    > the latter just cheaper (just guessing), and still used for economy, or
    > for some other reason?

    Nickel-Cadmium batteries are no longer recommended for new products. This
    is due to environmental concerns of the relatively toxic cadmium. They are
    available for support of older products that used them. Although Nickel
    Metal-Hydride appeared as a replacement, they are are not direct
    replacements in most applications.

  20. Re: best protocol for carging a Laptop Battery

    M.I.5 wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." wrote in message
    >> M.I.5 wrote:
    >>> "ray" wrote in message

    >>> Li-ion batteries have ben around since the early part of the 1990's (and
    >>> probably before). The examples cited all exhibit close to their
    >>> original
    >>> capacity (as far as I can tell - they run for near enough the orignal
    >>> time).
    >>> One of the batteries reports that it is only 70% charged after being
    >>> fully charged, but otherwise works as well as the others.

    >> Have the Li-ion batteries essentially replaced the NiCad ones? Or are
    >> the latter just cheaper (just guessing), and still used for economy, or
    >> for some other reason?

    > Nickel-Cadmium batteries are no longer recommended for new products. This
    > is due to environmental concerns of the relatively toxic cadmium. They
    > are
    > available for support of older products that used them. Although Nickel
    > Metal-Hydride appeared as a replacement, they are are not direct
    > replacements in most applications.

    Interesting - thanks.
    But is this because they weren't available in the identical size packages,
    with the same electrical capacity (i.e., voltage, ma-hrs, etc)? Or because
    of the external charging circuitry (if any) possibly having different
    requirements?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast