red hat linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on red hat linux - Hardware ; Hi All I am new to Linux and trying to install REd Hat Linux 3 & Ferora as from the bible by Christopher Negus the Istallation sftware does not find my hard drive and request a driver. The hard drive ...

  1. red hat linux

    Hi All
    I am new to Linux and trying to install REd Hat Linux 3 & Ferora as
    from the bible by Christopher Negus
    the Istallation sftware does not find my hard drive and request a
    driver.
    The hard drive is Western Dig Corp WD2500JD, I have downloaded the
    driver from their site and attempted to use the XP version as my Dell
    is XP, to no avail.
    System Dell 8400 running XP, Hard drive partioned to accomodate Linux.
    Any helpwould be greatly appreciated
    Graham

  2. Re: red hat linux

    graham1949 staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I am new to Linux and trying to install Red Hat Linux 3 & Fedora as
    > from the bible by Christopher Negus. The [installation software] does
    > not find my hard drive and [requests] a driver.

    RHEL 3 is kind of old, since the current release is 5. The rule of
    thumb here is to make sure the distro you're trying to install is the
    same age or newer than the motherboard you're using.

    > Dell 8400, Hard drive partioned to accomodate Linux.

    What's the SATA chipset on this thing? Get the latest distro (CentOS
    5.1 or so) and try that. Since you're a n00b, I would not recommend
    using Fedora, since that goes out of date too quickly and tends to have
    more bugs than the stable RHEL/CentOS versions.

    If all else fails, find the nearest local Linux User Group, and take the
    box to one of their periodic Installfests. Or find your local LUG's
    mailing list, and post there asking for help. It's highly probable that
    if you offer someone on that list beer and pizza, they'll gladly help
    you install whatever distro you want at a time that's convenient for
    you. HTH,

    --
    "Dreams? Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
    --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King

  3. Re: red hat linux

    graham1949 wrote:

    > Hi All
    > I am new to Linux and trying to install REd Hat Linux 3 & Ferora as
    > from the bible by Christopher Negus
    > the Istallation sftware does not find my hard drive and request a
    > driver.
    > The hard drive is Western Dig Corp WD2500JD, I have downloaded the
    > driver from their site and attempted to use the XP version as my Dell
    > is XP, to no avail.
    > System Dell 8400 running XP, Hard drive partioned to accomodate Linux.
    > Any helpwould be greatly appreciated
    > Graham

    Hello,

    What an OOOOOOOOPS! RH 3 is really out of date since last realease was RH 7
    some years ago and the RH project became RHEnterpriseLinux (payware) and
    Fedora (ex Fedora Core).

    I'd recommend you to take a look at distrowatch .com and get any newest
    distro such as MDV2008.1, Debian 4.0r3, OpenSuSE 11.0.

    Fedora 9 is not good for noobs and X/K/Ubuntu sucks. BSD is a bit
    complicated but you can give them a try too.

    For older PI/PII combos with not much RAM, a light distro such as Damn Small
    Linux can do the job. Any combo better than a CeleronII with more than 256
    MB RAM can easily run any modern distro under the Gnome desktop or KDE with
    no gimmick.

    Ciao +

  4. Re: red hat linux

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:26:45 -0700, graham1949 wrote:

    > Hi All
    > I am new to Linux and trying to install REd Hat Linux 3 & Ferora as from
    > the bible by Christopher Negus
    > the Istallation sftware does not find my hard drive and request a
    > driver.
    > The hard drive is Western Dig Corp WD2500JD, I have downloaded the
    > driver from their site and attempted to use the XP version as my Dell is
    > XP, to no avail.
    > System Dell 8400 running XP, Hard drive partioned to accomodate Linux.
    > Any helpwould be greatly appreciated
    > Graham

    I assume you mean RHEL3, it's way to old to install on modern hardware.
    In general RHEL and it's free clone, are not welss suited to desktop
    hardware because of their outdated kernels. If you do use RHEL or CentOS
    the pick version 5.1 (the latest version of CentOS5) or 5.2 if you have
    access to RHEL (which I suspect that you don't). Even if you do use
    CentOS5.1 you will have to compile your own kernel in order to get all of
    your hardware to work.

    You didn't say which version of Fedora you tried, the current version is
    Fedora 9 which should install just fine on your hardware. Fedora 8 should
    also work fine and it's more mature that Fedora 9 so it might be a better
    choice for you. Forget about anything older than Fedora 8, the older
    versions are no longer supported.

  5. Re: red hat linux

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, F8BOE wrote:

    > graham1949 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All
    >> I am new to Linux and trying to install REd Hat Linux 3 & Ferora as
    >> from the bible by Christopher Negus
    >> the Istallation sftware does not find my hard drive and request a
    >> driver.
    >> The hard drive is Western Dig Corp WD2500JD, I have downloaded the
    >> driver from their site and attempted to use the XP version as my Dell
    >> is XP, to no avail.
    >> System Dell 8400 running XP, Hard drive partioned to accomodate Linux.
    >> Any helpwould be greatly appreciated
    >> Graham

    > Hello,
    >
    > What an OOOOOOOOPS! RH 3 is really out of date since last realease was RH 7
    > some years ago and the RH project became RHEnterpriseLinux (payware) and
    > Fedora (ex Fedora Core).

    Please ignore this misleading and wrong information.
    Wrong: the last release of Red Hat before the "Enterprise" series was Red
    Hat 9 (not 7) and misleading because the original poster was probably
    referring to Red Hat Enterprise v.3 -- which is still supported and
    receives updates.

    Red Hat continues to update the kernel on RHEL 3, so support of newer
    hardware continues to expand. It does not have the same level of support
    of newer hardware that the newer releases have, but it should not be
    dismissed out of hand. Nevertheless, unless you have a specific reason to
    use RHEL3 (eg. some software that is only supported under RHEL3), I would
    not recommend it.

  6. Re: red hat linux

    Whoever wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, F8BOE wrote:
    >
    >> graham1949 wrote:

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> What an OOOOOOOOPS! RH 3 is really out of date since last realease was
    >> RH 7
    >> some years ago and the RH project became RHEnterpriseLinux (payware) and
    >> Fedora (ex Fedora Core).

    > Please ignore this misleading and wrong information.
    > Wrong: the last release of Red Hat before the "Enterprise" series was
    > Red Hat 9 (not 7) and misleading because the original poster was
    > probably referring to Red Hat Enterprise v.3 -- which is still supported
    > and receives updates.

    Correcting your wrong information for just a second. While it is
    very true that Red Hat does say (now) that RHELAS 3
    was their first "enterprise" product, that's really NOT true,
    for Red Hat did deliver RHAS 2.1 which WAS their first
    enterprise product (which they now deny) and it WAS indeed
    a Red Hat 7 "based" distribution.

  7. Re: red hat linux

    Hi All
    Thanks for your help, I have installed SUSE 11.0 and it looks great
    Many thanks again
    Graham

+ Reply to Thread