geforce 8400GS - Hardware

This is a discussion on geforce 8400GS - Hardware ; I all, I have some difficulties to install my new geforce 8400 GS on my debian etch. I follow the guide http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaHowTo (I follow it before and don't have any problem) - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common - I have compiled nvidia-kernel-source ...

  1. geforce 8400GS

    I all,

    I have some difficulties to install my new geforce 8400 GS on my
    debian etch.

    I follow the guide http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaHowTo (I follow it
    before and don't have any problem)

    - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
    - I have compiled nvidia-kernel-source (with module-assistant). OK
    - nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-6.686 installation (.deb obtained after source
    compilation). OK
    - apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
    - dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    - my user belong to video group
    - modprobe nvidia. OK
    - $> ls -l /dev/nvidia* give
    crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidia0
    crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidiactl

    but startx a black screen and I can'y change screen by ctrl-alt Fn.
    But xorg seems to work (I'm not sure)

    here is lspci -i | grep nvidia output :
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknow device
    0422 (rev a1)

    Has somebody installed nvidia geforce 8400GS with success an can help me

    Thank you in advance
    --
    ra

  2. Re: geforce 8400GS

    On Tuesday 10 June 2008 13:08, *Ramon* wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > I all,
    >
    > I have some difficulties to install my new geforce 8400 GS on my
    > debian etch.
    >
    > I follow the guide http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaHowTo (I follow it
    > before and don't have any problem)
    >
    > - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
    > - I have compiled nvidia-kernel-source (with module-assistant). OK
    > - nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-6.686 installation (.deb obtained after source
    > compilation). OK
    > - apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
    > - dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    > - my user belong to video group
    > - modprobe nvidia. OK
    > - $> ls -l /dev/nvidia* give
    > crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidia0
    > crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidiactl
    >
    > but startx a black screen and I can'y change screen by ctrl-alt Fn.
    > But xorg seems to work (I'm not sure)

    How do you know that X.Org works?

    > here is lspci -i | grep nvidia output :
    > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknow device
    > 0422 (rev a1)
    >
    > Has somebody installed nvidia geforce 8400GS with success an can help me

    I don't have that type of video adapter, but perhaps you should look at
    */var/log/xfree86.0.log* or */var/log/xorg.0.log* or whatever it's called
    on your system - mine here still has XFree86 instead of X.Org, so your
    mileage will vary. What does that file say?

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: geforce 8400GS

    Le Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:43:05 +0200,
    Dans le forum comp.os.linux.hardware,
    Aragorn a écrit :
    > On Tuesday 10 June 2008 13:08, *Ramon* wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >
    >> I all,
    >>
    >> I have some difficulties to install my new geforce 8400 GS on my
    >> debian etch.
    >>
    >> I follow the guide http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaHowTo (I follow it
    >> before and don't have any problem)
    >>
    >> - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
    >> - I have compiled nvidia-kernel-source (with module-assistant). OK
    >> - nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-6.686 installation (.deb obtained after source
    >> compilation). OK
    >> - apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
    >> - dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >> - my user belong to video group
    >> - modprobe nvidia. OK
    >> - $> ls -l /dev/nvidia* give
    >> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidia0
    >> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidiactl
    >>
    >> but startx a black screen and I can'y change screen by ctrl-alt Fn.
    >> But xorg seems to work (I'm not sure)

    > How do you know that X.Org works?

    I'm not sure because all my tty are blocked. The only way to get out
    this situation is magic key Alt+Sys+k to kill all the process (even
    ctrl alt Fn don't work). When I make Alt+Sys+k I am on the tty7 (the
    tty reserved for X)

    >> here is lspci -i | grep nvidia output :
    >> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknow device
    >> 0422 (rev a1)
    >>
    >> Has somebody installed nvidia geforce 8400GS with success an can help me

    > I don't have that type of video adapter, but perhaps you should look at
    > */var/log/xfree86.0.log* or */var/log/xorg.0.log* or whatever it's called
    > on your system - mine here still has XFree86 instead of X.Org, so your
    > mileage will vary. What does that file say?

    Here is the relevant output of startx command :

    XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 event remaining

    The Xorg.0.log has no (EE) line...

    --
    ra

  4. Re: geforce 8400GS

    On Tuesday 10 June 2008 15:47, *Ramon* wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > Le Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:43:05 +0200,
    > Dans le forum comp.os.linux.hardware,
    > Aragorn a écrit :
    >
    >> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 13:08, *Ramon* wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >>
    >>> I have some difficulties to install my new geforce 8400 GS on my
    >>> debian etch.
    >>>
    >>> I follow the guide http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaHowTo (I follow it
    >>> before and don't have any problem)
    >>>
    >>> - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
    >>> - I have compiled nvidia-kernel-source (with module-assistant). OK
    >>> - nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-6.686 installation (.deb obtained after source
    >>> compilation). OK
    >>> - apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev
    >>> - dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>> - my user belong to video group
    >>> - modprobe nvidia. OK
    >>> - $> ls -l /dev/nvidia* give
    >>> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 0 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidia0
    >>> crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 2008-06-10 04:46 /dev/nvidiactl
    >>>
    >>> but startx a black screen and I can'y change screen by ctrl-alt Fn.
    >>> But xorg seems to work (I'm not sure)

    >> I don't have that type of video adapter, but perhaps you should look at
    >> */var/log/xfree86.0.log* or */var/log/xorg.0.log* or whatever it's called
    >> on your system - mine here still has XFree86 instead of X.Org, so your
    >> mileage will vary. What does that file say?

    > Here is the relevant output of startx command :
    >
    > XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    > after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 event remaining
    >
    > The Xorg.0.log has no (EE) line...

    My only advice at this stage would be that you try a more recent kernel than
    2.6.18 - preferably a vanilla kernel - and that you try a more recent
    nVidia driver from nVidia's website itself, rather than from a Debian
    package.

    I can't really give you any other advice at this point, sorry... :-/

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: geforce 8400GS

    Ramon wrote:
    > I all,
    >
    > I have some difficulties to install my new geforce 8400 GS on
    > my debian etch.

    You're not the first and won't be the last

    Ramon, if you're feeling confident try the following:

    1.) Remove all the nvidia packages that you've install

    2.) Make sure that you're using a 'stock' Debian kernel, if at all
    possible (i.e. don't compile the kernel yourself)

    3.) Go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver appropriate for
    you (both 32-bit and 64-bit are catered for)

    4.) As root, run the installer you've just downloaded. The installer
    will walk you through the installation process, and if successful will
    even offer to update your xorg.conf for you (recommended if you're new
    to this)

    5.) Reboot and try 'startx'. You don't need to manually 'modprobe
    nvidia', it will be loaded as and when required

    Please do let us know how you get on.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  6. Re: geforce 8400GS

    Le Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:17:40 +0100,
    Sheridan Hutchinson a écrit :

    > You're not the first and won't be the last
    > Ramon, if you're feeling confident try the following:
    > 1.) Remove all the nvidia packages that you've install
    > 2.) Make sure that you're using a 'stock' Debian kernel, if at all
    > possible (i.e. don't compile the kernel yourself)
    > 3.) Go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver appropriate for
    > you (both 32-bit and 64-bit are catered for)
    > 4.) As root, run the installer you've just downloaded. The installer
    > will walk you through the installation process, and if successful will
    > even offer to update your xorg.conf for you (recommended if you're new
    > to this)
    > 5.) Reboot and try 'startx'. You don't need to manually 'modprobe
    > nvidia', it will be loaded as and when required

    > Please do let us know how you get on.

    Ok. I'll try this solution and give you some (good I hope) news. But
    the vendor has suggested to change my graphic adapter in case I can't
    make it work. Have you a suggestion for a nvidia 3D graphic adapter
    which give no installation problem with debian Etch and stock kernel ?

    --
    ra

  7. Re: geforce 8400GS

    Le Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:17:40 +0100,
    Dans le forum comp.os.linux.hardware,
    Sheridan Hutchinson a écrit :

    > Please do let us know how you get on.

    Success. Drivers from nvidia.com works perfectly. I have only to make
    a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (because xorg.conf proposed by
    nvididia installer was not good).
    My conclusion is that debian way don't work for geforce 8400GS but
    perhaps have I missed something...

    Thanks a lot for all.

    --
    Ra