what is this Pretec Bluetooth device? - Hardware

This is a discussion on what is this Pretec Bluetooth device? - Hardware ; I'm having trouble figuring out what this device is. I picked it up about 4 years ago from a computer show. I didn't put much thought into it when I purchased it - just thought it was a bluetooth controller ...

  1. what is this Pretec Bluetooth device?

    I'm having trouble figuring out what this device is. I picked it up about
    4 years ago from a computer show. I didn't put much thought into it when I
    purchased it - just thought it was a bluetooth controller in the
    CompactFlash form factor. Now that I'm actually trying to "use" it,
    it turns out it may not really be a controller. Here's a blurry picture of
    it (sorry camera can't focus): http://i26.tinypic.com/2ajumjb.jpg

    From the top down it says:
    Pretec
    Pocket PC
    Expansion Pack
    Bluetooth
    CompactBT(tm)

    When I plug it into any Linux laptop with a CF to pcmcia adapter, I get
    this returned:
    ttyS01 at port 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16C950/954

    Is this some kind of pass-thru device? Meaning ttyS01 somehow gets bonded
    to a physical serial port (ttyS0) so that other, external devices can use
    this laptop's serial port to talk with other instruments.

    Any ideas?

    -kevin

  2. Re: what is this Pretec Bluetooth device?

    In comp.os.linux.hardware, Kevin Valentine wrote:

    > I'm having trouble figuring out what this device is.

    [snip]
    > Here's a blurry picture of it (sorry camera can't focus):
    > http://i26.tinypic.com/2ajumjb.jpg
    >
    > From the top down it says:
    > Pretec
    > Pocket PC
    > Expansion Pack
    > Bluetooth
    > CompactBT(tm)
    >
    > When I plug it into any Linux laptop with a CF to pcmcia adapter, I get
    > this returned:
    > ttyS01 at port 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16C950/954
    >
    > Is this some kind of pass-thru device? Meaning ttyS01 somehow gets bonded
    > to a physical serial port (ttyS0) so that other, external devices can use
    > this laptop's serial port to talk with other instruments.

    It /appears/ to be a "Bluetooth" serial port. Data written to this serial
    port is transmitted via Bluetooth radio to a receiving Bluetooth device
    (like your cellphone or your PDA). Data transmitted from outside Bluetooth
    devices (again, like your cellphone or PDA) can be read from the serial
    port.

    It looks like the Linux kernel recognized the serial port, so you should be
    able to use one of the Linux "Bluetooth management" suites to manipulate
    the connection. Congratulations: you now have a way to sync your PDA or
    phone with your Linux computer.

    --
    Lew Pitcher