Promise Fasttrack TX 2000 - Hardware

This is a discussion on Promise Fasttrack TX 2000 - Hardware ; Hi, I would like to setup a file server system using Slackware 12.1. My a system is featuring a Promise Fasttrak RAID controller. Now I'm wondering if my promise fasttrak TX 2000 would be supported by the system featuring a ...

  1. Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    Hi,

    I would like to setup a file server system using Slackware 12.1. My a system is featuring a Promise Fasttrak RAID controller. Now I'm wondering if my promise fasttrak TX 2000 would be supported by the system featuring a 2.6.24 kernel.

    Thanks for some information on this!

    Ron
    --
    weeks of coding safes hours of planning

  2. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    Ron Eggler writes:

    > I would like to setup a file server system using Slackware 12.1. My a
    > system is featuring a Promise Fasttrak RAID controller. Now I'm
    > wondering if my promise fasttrak TX 2000 would be supported by the
    > system featuring a 2.6.24 kernel.
    >
    > Thanks for some information on this!

    I happen to have a 2.6.24 build tree to hand.

    FWIW PATA_PDC_OLD "enables support for the Promise 20246, 20262, 20263,
    20265 and 20267 adapters", CONFIG_PATA_PDC2027X "enables support for
    Promise PATA pdc20268 to pdc20277 host", CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE "enables
    support for Promise Serial ATA TX2/TX4". None of the old IDE or the SCSI
    Promise stuff that I noticed had a model number anything like what you
    quote.

    I don't know if that helps!

    Mark

  3. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    "Mark T.B. Carroll" writes:

    > CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE "enables support for Promise Serial ATA TX2/TX4"

    I should add that drivers/ata/sata_promise.c has,

    board_2037x = 0, /* FastTrak S150 TX2plus */
    board_2037x_pata = 1, /* FastTrak S150 TX2plus PATA port */
    board_20319 = 2, /* FastTrak S150 TX4 */
    board_20619 = 3, /* FastTrak TX4000 */
    board_2057x = 4, /* SATAII150 Tx2plus */
    board_2057x_pata = 5, /* SATAII150 Tx2plus PATA port */
    board_40518 = 6, /* SATAII150 Tx4 */

    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3371), board_2037x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3373), board_2037x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3375), board_2037x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3376), board_2037x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3570), board_2057x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3571), board_2057x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3574), board_2057x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3577), board_2057x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d73), board_2057x },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d75), board_2057x },

    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3318), board_20319 },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3319), board_20319 },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3515), board_40518 },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3519), board_40518 },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d17), board_40518 },
    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d18), board_40518 },

    { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x6629), board_20619 },

    Maybe that can help you figure out if that driver supports your
    hardware.

    Also note that 2.6.25 kernels are a way along now.

    Mark

  4. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:

    > "Mark T.B. Carroll" writes:
    >
    >> CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE "enables support for Promise Serial ATA TX2/TX4"

    > I should add that drivers/ata/sata_promise.c has,
    >
    > board_2037x = 0, /* FastTrak S150 TX2plus */
    > board_2037x_pata = 1, /* FastTrak S150 TX2plus PATA port
    > */
    > board_20319 = 2, /* FastTrak S150 TX4 */
    > board_20619 = 3, /* FastTrak TX4000 */
    > board_2057x = 4, /* SATAII150 Tx2plus */
    > board_2057x_pata = 5, /* SATAII150 Tx2plus PATA port */
    > board_40518 = 6, /* SATAII150 Tx4 */
    >
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3371), board_2037x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3373), board_2037x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3375), board_2037x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3376), board_2037x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3570), board_2057x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3571), board_2057x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3574), board_2057x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3577), board_2057x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d73), board_2057x },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d75), board_2057x },
    >
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3318), board_20319 },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3319), board_20319 },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3515), board_40518 },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3519), board_40518 },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d17), board_40518 },
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3d18), board_40518 },
    >
    > { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x6629), board_20619 },
    >
    > Maybe that can help you figure out if that driver supports your
    > hardware.
    >
    > Also note that 2.6.25 kernels are a way along now.
    >
    > Mark

    Mark,

    Thanks for these information but I can't really do much with it, i'm not still not sure. After having done lots of research on google I found out that it wouldn't work on a system with a 2.6.x kernel but I have it working at the moment on a system with opensuse 10.1 with kernel "2.6.16.27-0.9-default" and I'm succesfully able to access my data with this system without any problems, however I would like to switch to Slackware in order to safe some time at boot-up.

    Thanks for the information - I'll continue googleing to see if i can use the data you provided,
    Ron

    --
    weeks of coding safes hours of planning

  5. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:30:33 GMT, Ron Eggler wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I would like to setup a file server system using Slackware 12.1.
    >My a system is featuring a Promise Fasttrak RAID controller.
    >Now I'm wondering if my promise fasttrak TX 2000 would be
    >supported by the system featuring a 2.6.24 kernel.
    >
    >Thanks for some information on this!
    >
    >Ron

    Boot the slackware installation CD/DVD. After it boots, see if you
    find drives to install to. If you do, then your controller is
    supported. My guess is that it is indeed supported. I'm not aware of
    any Promise controllers that aren't.
    --
    buck

  6. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    On Monday 09 June 2008 05:41, *Ron Eggler* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> Maybe that can help you figure out if that driver supports your
    >> hardware.
    >>
    >> Also note that 2.6.25 kernels are a way along now.

    > Thanks for these information but I can't really do much with it, i'm not
    > still not sure. After having done lots of research on google I found out
    > that it wouldn't work on a system with a 2.6.x kernel but I have it
    > working at the moment on a system with opensuse 10.1 with kernel
    > "2.6.16.27-0.9-default" and I'm succesfully able to access my data with
    > this system without any problems, however I would like to switch to
    > Slackware in order to safe some time at boot-up.

    2.6.24 is newer than 2.6.16, so if it was supported in 2.6.16, then it will
    also still be supported in 2.6.24.

    It does not happen very often that Linus and friends decide to drop support
    from still quite often used hardware from a newer kernel release. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  7. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Monday 09 June 2008 05:41, *Ron Eggler* wrote
    > in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >
    >> Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
    >>
    >>> [...]
    >>> Maybe that can help you figure out if that driver supports your
    >>> hardware.
    >>>
    >>> Also note that 2.6.25 kernels are a way along now.

    >> Thanks for these information but I can't really do much with it, i'm not
    >> still not sure. After having done lots of research on google I found out
    >> that it wouldn't work on a system with a 2.6.x kernel but I have it
    >> working at the moment on a system with opensuse 10.1 with kernel
    >> "2.6.16.27-0.9-default" and I'm succesfully able to access my data with
    >> this system without any problems, however I would like to switch to
    >> Slackware in order to safe some time at boot-up.

    > 2.6.24 is newer than 2.6.16, so if it was supported in 2.6.16, then it
    > will also still be supported in 2.6.24.
    >
    > It does not happen very often that Linus and friends decide to drop
    > support from still quite often used hardware from a newer kernel release.
    > ;-)

    Yes, true but couldn't it be that suse is delivering a custom built driver for this controller? I was googleing around and found posts from many people that have/had troubles getting this controller to work.... so I guess I will need to try with a second hard drive so that i could put the old one back in in case i can't get it working...

    Thankss anyways,

    Ron
    --
    weeks of coding safes hours of planning

  8. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    On Tuesday 10 June 2008 04:41, *Ron Eggler* wrote
    in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Monday 09 June 2008 05:41, *Ron Eggler* wrote
    >> in /comp.os.linux.hardware:/
    >>
    >>> Thanks for these information but I can't really do much with it, i'm not
    >>> still not sure. After having done lots of research on google I found out
    >>> that it wouldn't work on a system with a 2.6.x kernel but I have it
    >>> working at the moment on a system with opensuse 10.1 with kernel
    >>> "2.6.16.27-0.9-default" and I'm succesfully able to access my data with
    >>> this system without any problems, however I would like to switch to
    >>> Slackware in order to safe some time at boot-up.

    >> 2.6.24 is newer than 2.6.16, so if it was supported in 2.6.16, then it
    >> will also still be supported in 2.6.24.
    >>
    >> It does not happen very often that Linus and friends decide to drop
    >> support from still quite often used hardware from a newer kernel release.

    > Yes, true but couldn't it be that suse is delivering a custom built driver
    > for this controller?

    The odds to that would be very unlikely, given that SuSE is now owned by
    Novell, who are actively participating on the development of the upstream
    "vanilla" kernel tree, i.e. the kernel as it comes from Linus and friends.

    In other words, if SuSE were actively developing such a driver - which I
    don't see as being one of their priorities - then this driver would,
    together with all other hardware support that SuSE could offer, find itself
    in the upstream kernel, from which all other distributions derive their own
    kernel.

    What SuSE does do, just like any other distribution, is add additional
    functionality patches to their kernel, of which they feel that those
    patches are a Good Idea (TM) for their intended userbase.

    In addition, hardware support for newer devices in older kernels typically
    relies on backporting from the newer kernel.

    > I was googleing around and found posts from many people that have/had
    > troubles getting this controller to work.... so I guess I will need to try
    > with a second hard drive so that i could put the old one back in in case i
    > can't get it working...

    The problems with Promise ATA RAID controllers belong in a now - considering
    the rapid evolution of software - distant past, and are quite contemporary
    to the problems regarding SATA support in early 2.6 kernels.

    However, in the meantime, even SATA works great in the Linux kernel, albeit
    that onboard SATA RAID controllers are typically of the "hardware-assisted
    software RAID" variant and thus require that they be used in GNU/Linux as
    regular SATA controllers, with the Linux kernel handling the RAID stuff,
    i.e. true software RAID.

    Plugin PATA controllers are typically not a problem anymore, and as
    previously reported in this thread, most Promise FastTrak controllers now
    work quite well. ;-)

    Hope this was helpful. :-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    Ron Eggler writes:

    > Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:

    (snip)
    >> { PCI_VDEVICE(PROMISE, 0x3371), board_2037x },

    [ ... etc ... ]
    (snip)
    > Thanks for these information but I can't really do much with it, i'm
    > not still not sure.

    Ah, can you not find out the PCI ID of the controller you're curious
    about? If you have it running on a system, lspci -n should tell you.

    > After having done lots of research on google I found out that it
    > wouldn't work on a system with a 2.6.x kernel but I have it working at
    > the moment on a system with opensuse 10.1 with kernel
    > "2.6.16.27-0.9-default" and I'm succesfully able to access my data
    > with this system without any problems, however I would like to switch
    > to Slackware in order to safe some time at boot-up.

    (snip)

    Perhaps 2.6.16.27 is one of those kernels which is an older version
    combined with backports of more recent device drivers? I know little of
    those, having not used them before; unless that .27 is an OpenSUSEism.
    I'd be surprised if an OpenSUSE kernel offered an in-kernel driver that
    wasn't also available in the latest kernel.org build tree, but life is
    full of surprises.

    Mark

  10. Re: Promise Fasttrack TX 2000

    I demand that Mark T.B. Carroll may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > Perhaps 2.6.16.27 is one of those kernels which is an older version
    > combined with backports of more recent device drivers? I know little of
    > those, having not used them before; unless that .27 is an OpenSUSEism.

    No. That number suggests that it's a kernel.org release kernel, though an
    obsolete one; 2.6.16.60 is the most recent (and, it appears, last) of that
    series.

    [snip]
    | + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    You will experience a strong urge to do good, but it will pass.

+ Reply to Thread