USB Scanner problem - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB Scanner problem - Hardware ; Hi, I'm a new convert to linux, currently using Kubuntu (Hardy Heron release). I have a problem with my scanner. When I connect it it is correctly recognised as a scanner model HP Scanjet 2300c. But when I try to ...

  1. USB Scanner problem

    Hi,

    I'm a new convert to linux, currently using Kubuntu (Hardy Heron release).

    I have a problem with my scanner. When I connect it it is correctly
    recognised as a scanner model HP Scanjet 2300c. But when I try to use
    it the first scan (the preview) causes the scan head to move all the way
    to the end stop and then it tries for a further 30-40seconds to drive
    through the end stop. It finally gives up leaving the scan head at the
    far end of the track. I have to kill whatever program I was using to
    capture the scanned image. Then the next attempted use times out as the
    head very slowly moves back to the home position resulting in a "no
    device found" situation.

    I've tried both gwenview and kooka programs that got installed with the
    system and they both appear to run a common task to do the actual
    scanning. I think it's called "sane".

    Can any one here give me an idea of what to try next?

    Thanks

    Nev

  2. Re: USB Scanner problem

    nev young wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a new convert to linux, currently using Kubuntu (Hardy Heron release).
    >
    > I have a problem with my scanner. When I connect it it is correctly
    > recognised as a scanner model HP Scanjet 2300c. But when I try to use
    > it the first scan (the preview) causes the scan head to move all the way
    > to the end stop and then it tries for a further 30-40seconds to drive
    > through the end stop. It finally gives up leaving the scan head at the
    > far end of the track. I have to kill whatever program I was using to
    > capture the scanned image. Then the next attempted use times out as the
    > head very slowly moves back to the home position resulting in a "no
    > device found" situation.
    >
    > I've tried both gwenview and kooka programs that got installed with the
    > system and they both appear to run a common task to do the actual
    > scanning. I think it's called "sane".
    >
    > Can any one here give me an idea of what to try next?

    The problem you're describing appears to be a serious driver bug for your
    particular scanner model. So my suggestion of "what to try next" would be
    to see if other people are having the same problem - check with Google on
    reports of success or failure regarding the combination of your particular
    distribution (or your kernel version) and your scanner model - and if so,
    file a bug report.

    Hopefully, someone will then release a newer (and better) driver for that
    device, or at least pass the message on upstream to the kernel developers.
    Kubuntu is build upon Debian (and thus possibly uses a Debian-patched
    kernel), and Debian in turn is built using a patched version of an in the
    meantime already outdated vanilla kernel.

    /sane/ is the usperspace frontend to scanners in GNU/Linux, so I doubt that
    the problem lies there. Still, sorting that out is your distribution's
    responsibility, so filing a bug report with them may be the best course of
    action you as a user can take.

    Hope this was helpful... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*